Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Coughlin Out in NY

Jackie Daytona

10 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I know Payton has worked for the Giants before, but why do you think McDaniels wants the job?

Most stable franchise besides Pats. Great ownership. They have Eli for him to work with. Plus, Belichick connections. Of all the HC jobs available, this is the prize one for all the candidates IMO.

6 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Most stable franchise besides Pats. Great ownership. They have Eli for him to work with. Plus, Belichick connections. Of all the HC jobs available, this is the prize one for all the candidates IMO.

Ah, okay. I think the San Francisco job will have many suitors as well due to the rich franchise history and a roster that has won recently, despite all the departures. It'd be interesting if McDaniels joined the Colts I think. Then the rivalry would be renewed with a Belichick disciple facing off against the Brady Bunch.

Just now, QwizBoy said:

Ah, okay. I think the San Francisco job will have many suitors as well due to the rich franchise history and a roster that has won recently, despite all the departures. It'd be interesting if McDaniels joined the Colts I think. Then the rivalry would be renewed with a Belichick disciple facing off against the Brady Bunch.

I don't think York is a very smart owner and their roster is a complete mess with no QB. Giants is the most attractive with probably the Colts as a close second but the Irsay/Grigson duo will be an issue. Doubt Josh goes to a team with a control freak GM but gaining Luck as his Qb would be a big incentive too.

1 minute ago, BloodyChamp said:

McDaniels is the Lane Kiffin of the NFL please don't hire that little puke Colts.

I agree. McDaniels has only been relevant when he has had the GOAT QB. Although hard for him to be worse the second time around after the Denver debacle but you never know ...

4 minutes ago, amfootball said:

I don't think York is a very smart owner and their roster is a complete mess with no QB. Giants is the most attractive with probably the Colts as a close second but the Irsay/Grigson duo will be an issue. Doubt Josh goes to a team with a control freak GM but gaining Luck as his Qb would be a big incentive too.

Meh, the 49ers are picking early so the QB situation can be resolved in the Draft. And if the Brees/Manning rumors are true they can try to snatch one of them up to tutor the young guy until retirement. San Francisco actually looked competitive in several games this season. The Giants job is definitely attractive too with that explosive offense and a division ripe for the taking. I guess it comes down to whether or not McDaniels will like the extra scrutiny that comes with being a coach in New York. He can't pull triggers like the drafting of Tebow or isolation of star players like Marshall and Cutler in New York or else the media will eat him alive. I'm sure I've heard that if the new head coach wants Grigson gone, though, he will be shown the door. I'm sure the Colts want an offensive minded coach to make sure Andrew stays on the right track but I'm just speculating lol.

3 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Meh, the 49ers are picking early so the QB situation can be resolved in the Draft. And if the Brees/Manning rumors are true they can try to snatch one of them up to tutor the young guy until retirement. San Francisco actually looked competitive in several games this season. The Giants job is definitely attractive too with that explosive offense and a division ripe for the taking. I guess it comes down to whether or not McDaniels will like the extra scrutiny that comes with being a coach in New York. He can't pull triggers like the drafting of Tebow or isolation of star players like Marshall and Cutler in New York or else the media will eat him alive. I'm sure I've heard that if the new head coach wants Grigson gone, though, he will be shown the door. I'm sure the Colts want an offensive minded coach to make sure Andrew stays on the right track but I'm just speculating lol.

Yeah, hard to tell. I would think Giants are at top of list because of the ownership and state of team. I don' think Irsay is an owner that is attractive to perspective candidates but if he were to let Grigson go then that would help. I think Josh would relish the NY attention and he would have Belichick as a mentor too as Bill loves the Giants and they are out of conference. I am just not sure the Giants want him. The niners did want him last year to interview but he declined so maybe he goes this year. I am not convinced he would leave the Pats as he says he likes the stability but have to think the Giants job would woo him away.

10 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Yeah, hard to tell. I would think Giants are at top of list because of the ownership and state of team. I don' think Irsay is an owner that is attractive to perspective candidates but if he were to let Grigson go then that would help. I think Josh would relish the NY attention and he would have Belichick as a mentor too as Bill loves the Giants and they are out of conference. I am just not sure the Giants want him. The niners did want him last year to interview but he declined so maybe he goes this year. I am not convinced he would leave the Pats as he says he likes the stability but have to think the Giants job would woo him away.

Hey, there's always that attractive spot in Cleveland...I'm sure guys are jumping up and down at the chance to coach there..

3 hours ago, amfootball said:

Eli is 35.  Not everyone ages like Brady.  

Tom Coughlin is a solid Coach overall for his whole career. Somehow he miraculously beat the Pats twice in the big game but no way on God's green earth would I hire him now. He cost the Giants 3 or 4 games this season with poor clock management and he is way too old at this point. The Giants haven't been to the Post season since 2011 either. Since 2012 he has been basically an Average to Bad Coach. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tom Coughlin is a solid Coach overall for his whole career. Somehow he miraculously beat the Pats twice in the big game but no way on God's green earth would I hire him now. He cost the Giants 3 or 4 games this season with poor clock management and he is way too old at this point. The Giants haven't been to the Post season since 2011 either. Since 2012 he has been basically an Average to Bad Coach. 

Funny how this type of thing just rolls right off the tongue when it's not about Peyton Manning. 

Check out the cold shoulder Coughlin gives Mara after his good-bye presser, http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2016/01/05/tom-coughlin-gives-giants-owner-cold-shoulder-after-his-final-press-conference/mpQH7FXaGyKsajeJiPVTAN/story.html?p1=menu_sports_main

This did not end well. A shame as I like Coughlin but it seems he was forced to step down.

21 hours ago, BOTT said:

Eli is 35.  Not everyone ages like Brady.  

You're underestimating winning in NY. There's a reason why NY with a 35 year old QB is next to Indy with a baby QB as one of the most attractive spots (as of yesterday morning). Giants just need a better defense than dead last in the league and utilize Jennings and Vereen better, mainly take the ball out of andre williams hand. Maybe sign one of our TEs.

10 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Check out the cold shoulder Coughlin gives Mara after his good-bye presser, http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2016/01/05/tom-coughlin-gives-giants-owner-cold-shoulder-after-his-final-press-conference/mpQH7FXaGyKsajeJiPVTAN/story.html?p1=menu_sports_main

This did not end well. A shame as I like Coughlin but it seems he was forced to step down.

lol It does appear like a big # you, but who knows.

19 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Did you guys read the comments from Reese today? Talk about throwing Coughlin under the bus for the last 3 seasons. Wow.

I listened to the entire Coughlin, Reese, and Mara press conference on WFAN. The main message from Mara and Reese was that the players weren't up to snuff, not the coaching. It's ironic seeing Reese up there complain about the players not being good enough when Coughlin is the one paying for it and Reese still has a job. That is what is irking Giants fans. Then again, Eli takes a sack in Dallas, Landon Collins catches Brady's pass, and they kick a FG against the jets instead of going for it when Odell sent the kicking team off the field, and they are fighting for a playoff spot. He most likely is getting paid his salary for next year anyway but went out the right way by stepping down instead of getting fired (although it was mind boggling when he said if they had beaten the Eagles Sunday he would have fought for his job on Monday) 

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

You're underestimating winning in NY. There's a reason why NY with a 35 year old QB is next to Indy with a baby QB as one of the most attractive spots (as of yesterday morning). Giants just need a better defense than dead last in the league and utilize Jennings and Vereen better, mainly take the ball out of andre williams hand. Maybe sign one of our TEs.

Yeah, I'm stil waiting for all those NBA stars to sign with the Knicks because it's NYC.

its attractive because it's a traditionally well run franchise.  Yes, NYC is an allure to SOME, don't overestimate it.

Just now, BOTT said:

Yeah, I'm stil waiting for all those NBA stars to sign with the Knicks because it's NYC.

its attractive because it's a traditionally well run franchise.  Yes, NYC is an allure to SOME, don't overestimate it.

You haven't heard of Godzingis? Lebron would rather hang in the heat and pay no taxes or go home. I still see him pulling a Messier here with Melo if he wins one in Cleveland. Unfortunately our stars just sucked when here (Stat, Melo, Shump, Chandler, Smith). NYG, NYY, and NYR have all been hot spots, when you win it's just like winning in Boston. Doesn't compare to Tampa Bay or Indiana.

22 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I listened to the entire Coughlin, Reese, and Mara press conference on WFAN. The main message from Mara and Reese was that the players weren't up to snuff, not the coaching. It's ironic seeing Reese up there complain about the players not being good enough when Coughlin is the one paying for it and Reese still has a job. That is what is irking Giants fans. Then again, Eli takes a sack in Dallas, Landon Collins catches Brady's pass, and they kick a FG against the jets instead of going for it when Odell sent the kicking team off the field, and they are fighting for a playoff spot. He most likely is getting paid his salary for next year anyway but went out the right way by stepping down instead of getting fired (although it was mind boggling when he said if they had beaten the Eagles Sunday he would have fought for his job on Monday) 

Nothing like blaming the players. Seems rather infantile to me. I mean Reese is picking the players but he wants to keep his job so better to blame shift I suppose.

Winning and losing sometimes is just a matter of a few plays. I saw Eli tearing up when Coughlin said Eli blames himself for the firing. In a way, it is kind of his fault which is ironic but what can you do. It is a game and the coach always has head on the chopping block first.

4 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Nothing like blaming the players. Seems rather infantile to me. I mean Reese is picking the players but he wants to keep his job so better to blame shift I suppose.

Winning and losing sometimes is just a matter of a few plays. I saw Eli tearing up when Coughlin said Eli blames himself for the firing. In a way, it is kind of his fault which is ironic but what can you do. It is a game and the coach always has head on the chopping block first.

He was more or less trying to take blame off of Coughlin, not specifically blaming the players. JPP incident was brought up for example in addition to losing like every safety in the preseason, Cruz, Fells, etc. It shouldn't be Eli's fault. You don't miss the playoffs that many years because of one person but this season was the straw that broke the camel's back which sucks because 3 plays differently and Coughlin has a job still.

7 hours ago, amfootball said:

Not clearly Eli's fault. Go watch the games this year.

A lot of players and that pathetic defense let them down all year.

On January 4, 2016 at 3:10 PM, amfootball said:

Bingo AMF! The Mara/ Tisch families are the bedrock of stability & reliability. A spectacular franchise...

I revered Tom Coughlin in both Jacksonville & NY...One hades of a coach. I was praying INDY was gonna land ya. Oh well.