Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC Playoffs / SB best & worst case scenarios

coltsfeva

If I could "write the script":

Colts win Sunday and start to gel. (Mathis and Cole catch fire, Luck returns and plays lights-out, O-line gels and Colts get run game. Defense and ST improve. Penalties & "friendly fire" gone.

Seeding:

1. Denver

2. Cincinnati

3. NE

4. Colts

5. KC

6. NY Jets

Colts take care of KC at home in Wild Card

Jets beat NE at Foxboro in Wild Card

Denver beats Jets in Divisional round

Colts beat Cincinnati in Divisional round

Colts beat Denver in AFCC

Colts beat Carolina in SB

If Colts can't win, I'd love to see Peyton get another ring.

Worst case scenario:

NE wins another SB. If the Colts can't win it all, ANYBODY but the Patriots!!!! In this order:

Denver

GB

Arizona

NY Giants

Seattle

Minnesota

NY Jets

Cinncy

KC

Carolina

Patriots

42 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Yeah and I win thevery lottery  there is world peace and the president steps down from office. Now let's all go back to Jamestown and drink the Kool aid

Not saying it is going to happen. I guess my point was, if the Colts can't somehow turn things around, I would rather see any team win over the Pats.

How about this (and not as crazy as it seems)

1. patriots 

2. denver or cincy 

3. cincy or denver

4. colts or houston

5. kc         

6. pitt        

wild card

colts/houston beat kc

pitt beats 3 seed

divisional

colts/houston beat 2 seed

pitt beats pats

colts/houston host pitt in afc final

The 2,3, and 4 seeds all have QB issues.

The key for all these teams is to have NE/Pitt match up in 2nd round.

I'll take heat for this.  I've got a much "worser" scenario.  Colts win, get the 4th seed.  Host Pittsburgh in WC round in Indy.  Colts "fans" sell their tickets to Pittsburgh fans in droves because, "hey man, I can pay for a 'hoah' season of my Coates' tickets by sellin' one playoff game."  So its 50% Pittsburgh fans and we get blown out by 30 at home in the playoffs.  We're embarrassed as a team at home in the playoffs, we're embarrassed as a city (despite being an awesome city and great fan base) and we have a 1st place schedule, 26th pick in the draft, etc.  We live with that awful (and incredibly likely) feeling all winter-summer.  Does that feel better to anyone than getting a 2nd or 3rd place schedule, Top 12 draft pick, higher 2-7th round picks, getting everyone back healthy for 2016 and making a deep playoff run? 

With all the injuries the AFC is really wide open.  Which is why I think the Colts should absolutely try to get in.  If they can get healthy by the end of the year and maybe get on a roll by winning their last three and then get a home playoff game they are going to have a punchers chance at least rather it's KC, Steelers, Bengals, Jets, or Broncos here for that game.  Most likely KC, Steelers, or Jets.  The only one of those matchups I would have a hardtime thinking they could win is the Steelers.  The others I would expect them to win. 

From there you most likely to go to either NE, Cincy, or Denver.  Two of those three teams might very well be without their starting QB and two of them Cincy and Denver are pretty good match ups for the Colts and have a history of struggling to win playoff games.  Again, avoid NE and I like a healthy Colts teams odds as again they would have a punchers chance.  Even if it's NE I think the Colts are closing the gaps on the Pats.  Still not there but again they would have a shot. 

If they get all the way to the AFCCG then hey they just take their best shot and see what happens against whoever is left. 

Honestly the only two teams that really scare me that could be in the playoffs are NE and the Steelers.  Even then the Steelers could miss the playoffs or stand a very good chance of not playing the Colts until the AFCCG if that match up ends up happening. 

The Colts can beat anyone else on that list and yes I know could also lose to any of those teams.  Still this isn't a year where you have a super team or two like the AFC has had in the past.  It's extremely wideopen and team could go on a surprise run and why not the Colts? 

7 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

If some miracle happens that we somehow get to the playoffs, I unfortunately feel like we'll be one and done. 

There doesn't have to be a miracle all they have to do is beat a team who has never won here and a team a they already beat on the road once this season on Sunday and then either beat Miami or the Titans, two of the worst teams in the league, probably with Luck back and they are in. 

The AFC really is wide open. Lots of question marks with Cincy and Denver at QB, even if Dalton and PM come back. NE is still the team to beat but that has more to do with coaching and Brady than overall talent (injuries on both sides of the ball are taking a toll). The Chiefs don't scare me, nor do the Jets. Pitt is an offensive juggernaut but their secondary is flat terrible. If the Colts do get in, Luck plays at least in week 17, and the offense clicks starts to click like in the Denver game, they have just as good of a chance as last year. I love that KC match up in the first round if the Colts do somehow manage to get in by winning this weekend and then winning one out of the last two. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 9:43 AM, coltsva said:

How about this (and not as crazy as it seems)

1. patriots 

2. denver or cincy 

3. cincy or denver

4. colts or houston

5. kc         

6. pitt        

wild card

colts/houston beat kc

pitt beats 3 seed

divisional

colts/houston beat 2 seed

pitt beats pats

colts/houston host pitt in afc final

The 2,3, and 4 seeds all have QB issues.

The key for all these teams is to have NE/Pitt match up in 2nd round.

This is the exact scenario I've been rooting for the rest of the way.  A scenario where Colts are #4 and a #6 Pitt can knock out NE.

It would work also if NE is #3 seed and Pitt #6.. but NE at #3 is a really long shot at this point.

I doubt the Colts would beat KC in a wild card this year. 

My dream scenario is the Chiefs knock out Denver in the first round, now that would be hilarious since they haven't won a playoff game in 22 years.

Anyone but Carolina or Denver. 

I really don't mind NE winning another SB anymore. I didn't want them to get the 4th ring and they got it, so I don't even care anymore. I don't have any issues with their fans, who often post great stuff on this board. (it would be boring on here without them) 

The team I'd love to see win it all though is the Cardinals. They're overdue for some success, being a franchise that has never won anything, and Carson Palmer is a great QB due for a ring. 

On 12/18/2015 at 10:29 AM, Esquire59 said:

I'll take heat for this.  I've got a much "worser" scenario.  Colts win, get the 4th seed.  Host Pittsburgh in WC round in Indy.  Colts "fans" sell their tickets to Pittsburgh fans in droves because, "hey man, I can pay for a 'hoah' season of my Coates' tickets by sellin' one playoff game."  So its 50% Pittsburgh fans and we get blown out by 30 at home in the playoffs.  We're embarrassed as a team at home in the playoffs, we're embarrassed as a city (despite being an awesome city and great fan base) and we have a 1st place schedule, 26th pick in the draft, etc.  We live with that awful (and incredibly likely) feeling all winter-summer.  Does that feel better to anyone than getting a 2nd or 3rd place schedule, Top 12 draft pick, higher 2-7th round picks, getting everyone back healthy for 2016 and making a deep playoff run? 

#1: The embarrassment of losing a playoff game vs. the the embarrassment of giving up on the the season?  I'd take the playoff loss.

#2: The 26th pick?  How do you come up with that?  With the first round exit you're predicting it would be like pick 20.

#3: A top 12 pick?  Unless we lose all of the final 3 AND some of the lower teams start winning we would be picking somewhere around 16 with let's say 7 wins.

#4: Getting everybody back healthy in 2016.  How does making the playoffs this year put that in doubt?

How about this?  Pitt goes in as the #6 seed and doesn't play the #4 seed Colts.  But they beat the #3 seed Denver/Bengals.. then go to NE (assuming they get #1 seed) and knock them out.  Colts would need to beat Jets or KC at home then go to Denver/Bengals.  I think with Luck back we have a chance.. and if not still enjoy the games.