Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Proof QB Rating is a terrible stat

Detectacon

Yep. His INTs at inopportune moments are reflected in the rating.

One thing I would agree is that the QB rating does not completely account for situational football, IMO.

They do take into account situational, his plays on 3rd down, 4th down, redzone.  His interceptions came at a bad time and were bad choices which significantly affected the outcome of those games.

You have to look at the context of the stat.  If I go to the NFL and throw a 10 yard slant route to Julio Jones to takes it 70 more yards for a TD, I'd have a great passer rating.  That's why the punter has a better QB rating.  You have to know when to ignore data and what it really means.  Luck being dead last out of the 32 starters just shows he has turned the ball over a lot.  The stat isn't perfect, but in this case, it's not that bad

You have to look at the context of the stat. If I go to the NFL and throw a 10 yard slant route to Julio Jones to takes it 70 more yards for a TD, I'd have a great passer rating. That's why the punter has a better QB rating. You have to know when to ignore data and what it really means. Luck being dead last out of the 32 starters just shows he has turned the ball over a lot. The stat isn't perfect, but in this case, it's not that bad

I believe the pass by the punter was incomplete so...

They do take into account situational, his plays on 3rd down, 4th down, redzone.  His interceptions came at a bad time and were bad choices which significantly affected the outcome of those games.

nope, situations aren't accounted for. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

heres a quote from the link - "The NFL passer rating formula includes four variables: completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdowns per attempt, and interceptions per attempt"

down, yardage, redzone and what quarter aren't a factor

nope, situations aren't accounted for. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

heres a quote from the link - "The NFL passer rating formula includes four variables: completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdowns per attempt, and interceptions per attempt"

down, yardage, redzone and what quarter aren't a factor

Thats the passer rating...  He said QBR, that ESPN stat that they created on a 0-100 scale.

Thats the passer rating...  He said QBR, that ESPN stat that they created on a 0-100 scale.

the article the OP linked is using passer rating, its from NBC not ESPN

this thread might have gotten some of us mixed up, by referring to both with out clarfying