Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MMQB: King leads with Colts and if they have done enough to close gap with Pats

amfootball

That certainly is an option....If Flacco agrees to it

Of course he'll agree to it.    He's been expecting it since the day his deal was signed.

He certainly wasn't expecting to be paid $30 MIll.     He'll get a re-work with some $$ guaranteed up front (like a 2nd signing bonus) and his salary will be cut and his cap number will come down sharply to give Baltimore cap room.

That's how these deals are structured.

Just like the deal we had for Cherilus.    He certainly wasn't going to get $9.9 mil in '16 and '17.     He knew what was coming if he'd been around and healthy.     A re-worked deal that benefits both sides.

Sorry, but I have a hard time taking either of these guys serious.

g0mevtlh3kaiuajhxuwf.jpg

In Peter & Roger's defense, nobody looks slick, sophisticated, & smart wearing a bib man. Okay, actress Zoe Saldana would, but I can guarantee you if I put a restaurant bib on right now & took a picture of it you'd say "Man, SW1 looks like such a smuck" & I'd have to agree with you & lead the comic hazing charge on myself. Trust me.  :P

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I know some of the responses I receive here are deserved as at times I get too heated with my fandom. But I do enjoy this forum and try to be level headed but fail more than I would like. I do appreciate you taking the time to say this though. Means a lot.

no problem

Thank you posting this AMF. I find this question by Matthew Hasselbeck an exceptional one: "Do you have the awareness to know where the team is in the game?"

It resonates with me because all elite QBs have to learn not to put your defense in a bad spot with a horrible throw & understanding when to eat the ball is essential even if you are forced to punt. Translation: Have the clock work for your team not against it. QB amnesia is fine play to play, but at a certain point, a field general has to comprehend how a bone headed play can swing the pendelum [spelling] in the wrong direction.

16 picks is way to high Andrew. Gotta reduce that to 10-12 if possible. 

Yes, I found that interesting too SW. That is why I am a big fan of the term "game manager" even though that seems to have a negative connotation. The QBs that have played this position the best are great at knowing the situation in the game and then making the right decision based on it. To me it seems simple, if it is not there don't force it. But I think with Luck, he can make some impossible throws so his natural instinct similar to Favre IMO is to try to fit it in. And I don't think that is a bad trait in some ways but when it was third and 15 from your own 20 in the second quarter and the throw is not there then just toss it away and live for the next series. Also, I think with him he likes to throw down field a lot so I think if he learns to take the easy check down then his turnovers will also come down.

I really liked the way he played vs Denver last year in the post-season. Even though he had the couple of picks they were on third and long situations so his picks which were deep throws were more like punts even though it looks bad on the stat line. But overall in that game I thought he was heady and picked his spots and did not commit the devastating turnover which would have let the Broncos back into the game. Small steps for sure but the right ones.

In Peter & Roger's defense, nobody looks slick, sophisticated, & smart wearing a bib man. Okay, actress Zoe Saldana would, but I can guarantee you if I put a restaurant bib on right now & took a picture of it you'd say "Man, SW1 looks like such a smuck" & I'd have to agree with you & lead the comic hazing charge on myself. Trust me.  :P

I love Skyline.  Eat there a lot.  Bibs aren't necessary unless you have no coordination whatsoever when it comes to eating.  If you're over 6, lose the bib.

How do you think/predict they rework Flacco's deal?

The same way teams always rework deals. Convert salary to bonus, spread the cap hits out... They might add an additional year to his deal to absorb some of the extra bonus. 

They don't really NEED to do anything until after 2016. I'm sure they don't want a $28m cap hit in 2016, but they'll go into the offseason with a payroll of $140m. Assume the cap goes up $10m, and they'll still be $14m under the cap. They have some free agents -- Yanda (who is their best lineman, but he'll be going on 32), Tucker (the kicker, BFD), Upshaw (notable), plus some RFAs and other lower level guys. Then they need to sign their draft picks. So it will be tight, but they're a cap conscious team anyways, so they'll make it work.

They wouldn't if they did not have a suitable replacement behind him of course and he did have his best year yet last year but that's certainly not the normal for him...Not saying he wont do it again or even that he has to for that team to be successful because its been proven that he don't....But over 31 mill is ridiculously high to justify paying him based on production.

Matt Ryan who was drafted the same year just 15 picks later has been significantly better in my opinion with not as good of talent around him(I know he has had Gonzalez, Jones and White and Turner but not a lot else where as Joe had very good to elite defenses over the years and a Back in Rice who was at one point one of the best in the league and Steve Smith and Anquan Bolden) in his career in comparison his contract is less then Flaccos.

I know Ryan gets significantly more in guaranteed money but I think he is significantly better, especially if he had a better O Line. I mean you know what your getting with Flacco at this point. 3600 average a season kinda QB 20-25 TD's with Ryan your getting 25-30 TD's but 4023 average

I just could not justify paying Flacco that much personally unless I did not have a QB that could put up production similar or equal to Flaccos

It's not about his production. They agreed to pay him $20m/year two years ago. That ship has sailed. They set up the contract to have some major decision points, and while I don't think a lot of Flacco as a franchise QB, you could do a lot worse. And since that contract, he's shown some ability to play at a high, efficient level, at least in spurts.

Going back to the numbers, it's $20.1m average. The remaining money to be paid after 2015 is $58.6m, over three years, for a $19.53m/year average. Believe it or not, this is where they get a little bit of a break in total money. The first three years, they paid him $51m in bonuses and $11m in salary. So really, the money doesn't change. Just the cap hits. One year of cap pain in 2016, and then you extend him and go with a more balanced structure (which they should have done in the first place). 

I have a feeling it will be a 2006 type year. Just a hunch, don't mortgage your house based on what I say, lol. But it took Manning a few beatings before things got good. I feel that Luck, after his 3rd year, is ready to kick some Patriot butt. I think we have enough to get over that hump and at least get to the Bowl. Time will tell, but those are my feelings. And I know I'm not alone.