Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck #7 on Top 100

RealityIsLuck

In my book the discussion for #1 is only between Luck and Watt but #7 is high enough so that I won't complain. 

I think Luck should be higher than Peyton and Brady, but probably not Rodgers for right now.  Next year, hopefully, will be a different story.  Murray has been a beast and is expected to continue to be a beast and MegaTron is, IMO, hands down the hardest offensive (non-QB) player in the league to plan and play against, so I can see why they're in the discussion.

Don't understand how Megatron was higher than Luck, Gronk, & Lynch

He wasn't even top 10 in receiving yards last year. I really don't care about the list, but the popularity votes really gotta stop

:scorebad:

This list is 2015 -- who will be the best in the NFL in 2015 is the question.  This is why Adrian Peterson made the top 100 even though he didn't put a uniform on last year.  Calvin is arguably the most physically gifted WR in NFL history and is hands down the best WR in the league (though OD Beckham Jr. might make a case this year).  IMO, he deserved his ranking based on what it is -- if it was top productive players of 2014, then he shouldn't be so high.  Fact of the matter is, opposing DBs know when healthy Calvin is the hardest player to guard in the league.

based on last year alone calvin johnson is too high. 

It is the best players of 2015 -- the players vote on who they think this season's best players will be.  Calvin struggled with injury last year, but there is not a player in the NFL outside of QBs who can change the way an opposing defense gameplans like Calvin Johnson. 

You are a very wise man ALB. I'm biased but darn it it's the truth. Being clean shaven or baby faced has no mystery or intrigue at all.

Facial hair goes thru cycles: The Una Bomber years & now the Andrew Luck years...Life is good...LOL!

A full beard only can mean one thing. A very wise man. And a grey beard, a very experienced wise man.

I think Luck should be higher than Peyton and Brady, but probably not Rodgers for right now. Next year, hopefully, will be a different story. Murray has been a beast and is expected to continue to be a beast and MegaTron is, IMO, hands down the hardest offensive (non-QB) player in the league to plan and play against, so I can see why they're in the discussion.

This list is 2015 -- who will be the best in the NFL in 2015 is the question. This is why Adrian Peterson made the top 100 even though he didn't put a uniform on last year. Calvin is arguably the most physically gifted WR in NFL history and is hands down the best WR in the league (though OD Beckham Jr. might make a case this year). IMO, he deserved his ranking based on what it is -- if it was top productive players of 2014, then he shouldn't be so high. Fact of the matter is, opposing DBs know when healthy Calvin is the hardest player to guard in the league.

It is the best players of 2015 -- the players vote on who they think this season's best players will be. Calvin struggled with injury last year, but there is not a player in the NFL outside of QBs who can change the way an opposing defense gameplans like Calvin Johnson.

That is most definitely not what the list is based on. That's part of it, but certainly not the main constraint. Players are supposed to vote on the top 100 players based on the previous season and their belief how they will play in the following season.

The NFL Top 100 is an annual list that features the top one hundred players in the National Football League (NFL), as chosen by fellow NFL players. The rankings are based on an off-season poll organized by the NFL, whereby players vote on their peers based on the performance of the previous season and their belief of how the player will perform in the coming season. In the five year history of the countdown, no player has been voted #1 multiple times.

I think it's a bit convoluted if you ask me, they shouldn't be voting based on two constraints. It should be solely based on the previous season, IMO. Having players predict the future production is useless and only helps screw up the list more than it already is.

That is most definitely not what the list is based on. That's part of it, but certainly not the main constraint. Players are supposed to vote on the top 100 players based on the previous season and their belief how they will play in the following season.

That is primarily what the list is based on, which is why it is called "The top 100 players of 2015" this year -- if we were voting strictly on last year it would be called "The Top 100 Players of 2014".  Of course, past performance will impact decisions in voting, because that is how we generally judge players (and people in general) is based on recent performances. 

However, if it was based on the previous season, Adrian Peterson would not be on the list.  He didn't play a snap in 2014 (last season), but players expect he will be back to a good player in 2015, which is what they're voting on.  The players are also voting on who the most talented players are -- this isn't just based on stats -- if it were, Emmanuel Sanders would be in the top 20, not at 95.  Emmanuel Sanders put up very good stats. In fact, he put up much better stats than MegaTron (101 receptions, 1,404 yards, 9 TDs compared to 71 receptions, 1,077 yards and 8 TDs) -- MegaTron was voted higher because anyone in their right mind knows he is a better football player and if he is healthy, as he is projected to be in 2015, he is the best WR in the NFL.

That is primarily what the list is based on, which is why it is called "The top 100 players of 2015" this year -- if we were voting strictly on last year it would be called "The Top 100 Players of 2014".  Of course, past performance will impact decisions in voting, because that is how we generally judge players (and people in general) is based on recent performances. 

However, if it was based on the previous season, Adrian Peterson would not be on the list.  He didn't play a snap in 2014 (last season), but players expect he will be back to a good player in 2015, which is what they're voting on.  The players are also voting on who the most talented players are -- this isn't just based on stats -- if it were, Emmanuel Sanders would be in the top 20, not at 95.  Emmanuel Sanders put up very good stats. In fact, he put up much better stats than MegaTron (101 receptions, 1,404 yards, 9 TDs compared to 71 receptions, 1,077 yards and 8 TDs) -- MegaTron was voted higher because anyone in their right mind knows he is a better football player and if he is healthy, as he is projected to be in 2015, he is the best WR in the NFL.

Maybe you missed this:

The NFL Top 100 is an annual list that features the top one hundred players in the National Football League (NFL), as chosen by fellow NFL players. The rankings are based on an off-season poll organized by the NFL, whereby players vote on their peers based on the performance of the previous season and their belief of how the player will perform in the coming season. In the five year history of the countdown, no player has been voted #1 multiple times.

It's primarily based on the previous season with future performance involved as well. That's why players like AD and Peyton Manning made the list the years they were out. But the majority is the previous season performance and the list generally reflects that.

Maybe you missed this:

It's primarily based on the previous season with future performance involved as well. That's why players like AD and Peyton Manning made the list the years they were out. But the majority is the previous season performance and the list generally reflects that.

Just like I said -- it is based on how they will perform in the upcoming year and the performance of the previous season may reflect the players votes.

Manning was in the running for MVP last year before he got hurt.  The year before that I want to see another QB do what he did.  I think people are going to be amazed at his season this year.  I think he plays this year and next and then calls it quits. 

Peyton has always been a marksman at 2 things: His swift release of the ball & accuracy/anticipating throws. Gary Kubiak will help 18 with dumpoffs to the RB & TEs more often, although I don't anticipate too many naked bootleg runs. I want Manning to finish his last year strong but neither the Steelers, Chargers, or Colts will go down quietly.  

Not at all, Its just I feel there is a lot of disrespect towards Peyton and he deserves better.    As a long time Colts fan I remember the many years of terrible teams and Peyton changed all that.  I just dont understand the disrespect coming from some Colts fans.  He still is putting out incredible statistics and is still one of the best in the league.  To say he was ranked number 5 only because of sentimental reasons is ignoring his excellent playing the last few years.  I dont think its time to compare the two QB's because Luck has many years left.  As I said, I think he will get more rings than Peyton because of the team around him.  I do think Luck is a special QB but to disregard what Peyton has done for this team , to me, is disrespectful.

I think it's due to the fact that's he's been so elite for so long we as NFL fans take his greatness for granted. I really respect him now for finally saying publicly within the last couple of seasons when he has a horrible game because it makes me cut him more slack when the Broncos wheels fall off or he plays a less than perfect game. I will very kind to him this season because I know just how exceptional he is as a man & a QB mastermind. 

A full beard only can mean one thing. A very wise man. And a grey beard, a very experienced wise man.

I couldn't have stated such profound wisdom any better myself. Bravo ICF!  :thmup: