Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our 7th Round Pick

Should we have used our 7th round compensation pick on La'el Collins? i'm sure we could have picked up Goode as a UDFA so why not use one of the last picks in the draft, making it low risk but a very high reward pick for a player with a first round grade, on the rights to Collins?? Does anyone know if we were even looking at him in the first place before all this info had come out?

Once he clears his name we need to sign him at all costs. He would probably start day 1 and IMO, would completely change the makeup of our line. That's how good I think he's going to be. The kid plays with a mean streak and we need some of that on our line. Anyways, This would be a good line. Castanzo-Mewhort-Holmes-Herremans-Collins. Or if Cherilus is healthy and Herremans is struggling Collins could play RG. Or maybe he wouldn't start right away if Herremans is playing like his old self, and Cherilus is healthy and playing well again. That'd be fine too. We could let him backup and learn for a year then takeover the next season. But as far as taking him with that 7th, no I would have taken Ifo Ekpre Olomu or somebody like that knowing we could get both Collins and that D2 OT as an UDFA.

He could if we had drafted him

Nobody was going to draft him.

He was radioactive.

If you draft him before it's determined that he's innocent,  you look mercenary.    And if you draft him and he's found to be involved,  then it's only about 1,000 times worse.

Collins was untouchable in the draft.    That's why all 32-teams passed on him.

Nobody was going to draft him.

He was radioactive.

If you draft him before it's determined that he's innocent, you look mercenary. And if you draft him and he's found to be involved, then it's only about 1,000 times worse.

Collins was untouchable in the draft. That's why all 32-teams passed on him.

right, I'm just correcting OP. He could have re-entered the draft next year if and only if he had been drafted

Should we have used our 7th round compensation pick on La'el Collins? i'm sure we could have picked up Goode as a UDFA so why not use one of the last picks in the draft, making it low risk but a very high reward pick for a player with a first round grade, on the rights to Collins?? Does anyone know if we were even looking at him in the first place before all this info had come out?

Of course we should have. It was STUPID not too, us and 31 other teams.

We would have owned the rights to him. But maybe the comish told everyone NOT TO? Best reason I have why no team did.

We would have owned the rights to him. But maybe the comish told everyone NOT TO? Best reason I have why no team did.

See the previous posts in this thread

had he been drafted he wouldn't have signed the contract. It would have been a wasted pick

You usually are just down on us...now its all 32 teams? 

But if we drafted him we wouldn't have to compete with 31 other teams to sign him. As a UDFA isn't there a limited amount of $ he could get paid, like there was with Duron Carter? I may not know all the rules and slotted payouts but I thought late rounders and UDFA are limited in what is allowed to pay them.

I don't think he will be allowed to enter 2016 Draft. So he said he wouldn't sign if not a 3rd rd. Draftee or better. But what choice would he have UNLESS he could get a decent contract as a UDFA that I'm not aware of.

But if we drafted him we wouldn't have to compete with 31 other teams to sign him. As a UDFA isn't there a limited amount of $ he could get paid, like there was with Duron Carter? I may not know all the rules and slotted payouts but I thought late rounders and UDFA are limited in what is allowed to pay them.

I don't think he will be allowed to enter 2016 Draft. So he said he wouldn't sign if not a 3rd rd. Draftee or better. But what choice would he have UNLESS he could get a decent contract as a UDFA that I'm not aware of.

If he had been drafted, he could have held out and re entered next years draft. Since he was undrafted he can't do that

I think Denzelle Goode is one of the most intriguing players we drafted. Doesn't mean he'll make the team, but he is interesting for a 7th round pick.

Colts had known about this guy for a few months prior to the draft.  The had obviously made up their mind knowing they wanted to get him and probably thought no-one else knew jack about him. (and they were right!...lol)So they knew they could wait till their last pick for him.  The  Kids probably better than a 7th round pick, But was on an Island and Was having trouble being seen.  (Even with his size...lol >.<  I look forward myself to learning more about the guy.