Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can someone explain to me...

I don't hate him, but I think he's limited athletically and would be a dominant run blocking guard. I don't think he has the athleticism or technique to play RT. 

As for better options: T.J. Clemmings, Cedric Ogbuehi, D.J. Humphires, and Fisher (if you're fine with not being able to run to the right side).

La'El Collins will probably be available. 

The main problem is his ability right now to kick out on passing downs. At the combine, one drill that looks at the ability, he was having people just blow by him because he could not get the edge quick enough. He will get better, but I know that is one of the reason. As far as the hate, I don't see a lot. I still see most people have him in the 1st round, some very high, but even those say he is raw and is going to have trouble in pass protection.

He's got potential knee issues and his kick step is bad. I've seen him look really good on tape, I've also seen him play poorly (although that might've had to do with his knee issues). I think he's too risky for round 1, but some teams apparently have him as the #1 tackle on their board.

I personally like Donovan Smith of Penn State as a dark horse candidate.  He's a monster run blocker who misguidely played too heavy (345ish) in 2014.  Almost all of his negatives on most scouting reports deal with issues of him not being quick enough for OT.  But he was down to 328 lbs. at his PD, and he ran 5.00 forties and looked much quicker.  He's a high character guy too and a hard worker.  I think scouts like him more than draftniks, who pigeonhole him as an OG convert due to quickness issues.  Nonetheless, he's been rising and I'm commonly seeing him ranked among all draft prospects in the 45 to 60 range.