Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mayock understands

Collins wouldn't need to be what Randall would need to be. 

Collins could play in the box almost as another LB, like Deonne Bucannaon with Arizona last year.

Randall is a FS, who can cover with some physicality. 

Collins is a SS, who is very physical with decent coverage ability, but wouldn't/won't be a problem if he is used properly and could be a great fit next to Adams.

You don't put a SS in deep coverage though. You leave that for your FS.

From what has been said they don't want to play the safeties like that ... they want interchangeable safeties (which is smart).  Collins is not that. We need a safety who has good coverage skills. 

Pagano has had great success with DBs in his run in Indy. The outlier is meathead nobody Landry. I wouldn't mind Collins in the first. I also think people are really beating down on his coverage ability. He's not great, and yes he might not even be good in coverage, but he's serviceable. Saw some plays where he showed great tracking of the ball while it's in the air.

Pagano has had great success with DBs in his run in Indy. The outlier is meathead nobody Landry. I wouldn't mind Collins in the first. I also think people are really beating down on his coverage ability. He's not great, and yes he might not even be good in coverage, but he's serviceable. Saw some plays where he showed great tracking of the ball while it's in the air.

I'd rather have a safety that's is great in coverage and serviceable/good against the run than vice versa.

I don't think so. Randall is pretty awful in the run game too. 

I guess I saw a completely different person from Holliman in terms of defending the run as Randall can actually tackle. I may be off though? Where do you see the best player per round value at S in the draft?

I guess I saw a completely different person from Holliman in terms of defending the run as Randall can actually tackle. I may be off though? Where do you see the best player per round value at S in the draft?

I mean, Randall missed like 7 tackles in the Oregon State game alone. The only reason people here think he's good are because national draft guys starting putting him high in their mocks. If they didn't, everyone here would think he was a 3rd-4th rounder.

The best value at safety in this class is probably Adrian Amos in the 3rd round. 

“In today’s pass-first NFL, the kid from Arizona State fits a lot of teams better,” Mayock said. “In today’s game, where’s the value? The value’s more in the cover safety than in the physical safety.”

SAY NO TO COLLINS!!!

Couldn't be more spot on. You get fined for big hits over the middle too often so the fear factor is way down of the big hitters in today's game. You need two safeties that have cover ability. The TE underneath and the TE/WR over the middle. If your safeties can't cover but have none jarring hit ability, teams have an easy space to exploit against that defense.

I mean, Randall missed like 7 tackles in the Oregon State game alone. The only reason people here think he's good are because national draft guys starting putting him high in their mocks. If they didn't, everyone here would think he was a 3rd-4th rounder.

The best value at safety in this class is probably Adrian Amos in the 3rd round. 

Good reference as the Oregon State game was terrible for Randall. I personally see Randall as a 3rd rounder, and Collins as a early 2nd round prospect just the lack of depth at the position is pushing them up draft boards. I appreciate your input.