Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is a lot of free agents a bad thing?

ThatOneColtFan

My opinion is that the Free Agent signings this year have served two functions:

1. New starters for positions of need
  2. More flexibility for the draft

By filling the roster over the past month with capable (even if aging) free agents, Grigson has fewer glaring 'holes' for the present. There are holes, for sure, but these are holes for the 'future', not immediate needs to field a team. This gives him much more flexibility to draft BPA as the draft unfolds. It gives Grigson power he didn't otherwise have. And he did it without breaking the bank.

I keep hearing this echoed among football fans I know.

The whole "you can't build through free agency if to succeed." It's a sentiment that I think is sort of dated.

No, it's very true.  Free agents cost $$$$$, draft picks don't cost much money.

You need to get the core of your team through the draft.  Nothing wrong with filling out positions through FA, but the core of your team should come through the draft.

get monsters however you can, by the time a draft pick develops into a monster, he may  move on for more money, just the way the nfl business is set up. I say get players who can play now, draft picks if they ever develop don't as a rule stay with the team that drafted them. the times they are a changing. don't waste time waiting for a pick to get good and then he signs with someone else when he is good, players are loyal to the team they play for now, not last year or next year or whoever drafted them. they are loyal to the money they get now.

Just look at Denver's 2011 draft class. Almost all have them have been nabbed up in free agency this offseason.

get a great qb in the draft and pay him well, get the rest as free agents, draft picks jump around if they become monsters, the nfl current system, show me the money or I am gone, I am loyal to the money, don't waste time on project players when they become good, odds are they are gone chasing the money

Our entire starting defense aside from Chapman is made up of free agents (assuming Cole starts the year) or players that were traded for. Kind of crazy. We only have 4 defensive player on the roster who were drafted by Grigson.

Wow, I didn't realize this. That is shocking. That trend needs to change. I know we've picked up some good players via FA and trade which is a feather in Grigson's cap but he needs to start building that defense through the draft.

I like the way we did things in free agency: veterans, to set a standard for the players at their respected positions on and off the field. Look everyone should try to understand Grigsy will hit and he'll miss, there is one thing for certain though; He ain't scared to swing jack.

Edited by 21isSuperman