Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BlueShoe's Perfect 2015 Colts Mock Draft

So it may not be perfect, but it sounded good when I wrote it, and must have gotten your attention or you would not be reading this. Just to have some fun, I am sharing some of my thoughts on players I want to have a shot of proudly wearing the Shoe. Feel free to rip it apart, because chances are none of it is true. Or maybe it all is. Who knows? We can all act like we know everything, but the truth is, we have no control, so we are just guessing. My guesses are below.

1) 29 - Jordan Phillips NT Oklahoma

We may be able to trade down a little and still get him, but he won't last long. Ereck Flowers is another good choice here too.

2) 61 - Jarvis Harrison OG Texas A&M

All of the measureables. Questionable work ethic is why he is not taken earlier.

3) 93 - Adrian Amos FS Penn State 

Surprise. The safety who fits what we do and who nobody is talking about.

4) 128 - Daryl Williams RT/RG Oklahoma 

Mauler who is also good in pass protection. If he does not work out as a RT then can easily be slid over to RG.

5) 165 - David Cobb RB Minnesota

Bruiser who quickly makes the correct decision, and will finish on third and short.

6) 205 - Andy Gallik C Boston College

Mean streak and plays with guts and grit. Not effective at the second level, but he holds down the line of scrimmage.

6) 207 - James Sample SS Louisville 

Plays in the box with good speed and range. Only one season as a starter and needs more experience. Could be a future starter.

7) 244 - Dexter McDonald CB Kansas

Tall and fast corner who needs to improve his technique. A season with Chuck could turn him into a very good football player.

7) 255 7 A.J. Tarpley ILB Stanford 

Smart football player who can cover backs and TE's. Has football pedigree following father and brother into college football.

Harrison is one of my favorite prospects. But the 2nd is a huge stretch for him. And Williams isn't a fourth. You should switch them around. Harrison in the 4th, Williams the 2nd.

Cobb, Galik, and Sample are 2 rounds too late each. Sample is considered a 2-3rd rounder, Galik a 4th, and Cobb a late 3rd-mid 4th.

Too many stretches. Some talent but the order is off and most players won't be there at those picks.

Harrison is one of my favorite prospects. But the 2nd is a huge stretch for him. And Williams isn't a fourth. You should switch them around. Harrison in the 4th, Williams the 2nd.

Cobb, Galik, and Sample are 2 rounds too late each. Sample is considered a 2-3rd rounder, Galik a 4th, and Cobb a late 3rd-mid 4th.

Too many stretches. Some talent but the order is off and most players won't be there at those picks.

I disagree. Not sure where you got all of that from.

But the truth is that none of us actually know until the draft is over. Then we will know. Right now we are all just guessing.

I disagree. Not sure where you got all of that from.

But the truth is that none of us actually know until the draft is over. Then we will know. Right now we are all just guessing.

Numerous mock drafts. My own scouting, what I hear. Cobb is not a late 5th round player. Sample NOT a late 6th. Galik is a top 5 consensus Center, won't be a late 6th. 

As for Jarvis Harrison he's very talented but doesn't like football as much as he does Basketball and has commitment issues that teams are scared of. While Williams stock has been very high, not a late 4th.

Numerous mock drafts. My own scouting, what I hear. Cobb is not a late 5th round player. Sample NOT a late 6th. Galik is a top 5 consensus Center, won't be a late 6th. 

As for Jarvis Harrison he's very talented but doesn't like football as much as he does Basketball and has commitment issues that teams are scared of. While Williams stock has been very high, not a late 4th.

Your own scouting, huh? So you went to the games, got the game film from the teams, talked to the coaches, and so on?

You're a pretty busy dude then, because most scouts only have a region they cover, but you are all over the states. You must never sleep.

Your own scouting, huh? So you went to the games, got the game film from the teams, talked to the coaches, and so on?

You're a pretty busy dude then, because most scouts only have a region they cover, but you are all over the states. You must never sleep.

There's something called Video! WOW, cool! A website called Draftbreakdown.com has full game tapes.. No need to be an * about it.

There's something called Video! WOW, cool! A website called Draftbreakdown.com has full game tapes.. No need to be an * about it.

LOL.

I don't buy into most of what I read on the internet when it comes to mock drafts. They are NEVER 100% correct, and most of it is just copy and paste jobs.

Years ago, before the internet, I used to buy all of the draft magazines, and it was fun to try to figure out who the Colts would draft. Keep in mind it was a lot easier in those days because we were usually drafting pretty high.

The truth is that we really don't have many clues, and unless we are in every war room during preparation, well we are only guessing.  

I have seen this game for over 30 years. There is never just one "surprise". There are always several. Prospects go undrafted that were expected to go in the second or third round. Prospects that we expected to go undrafted get drafted. There is no real science to it. You can lie to yourself and believe it computable, but it is not. In the end, we are all just guessing.

Think about it this way. How often do people get a perfect March Madness bracket? Never man. The odds are enormous.

The mock draft I made is just as likely to happen as any. And none of them are very likely.

I don't understand. You raised a great fuss about how our first round pick MUST be an offensive tackle, then you pass up Flowers for Phillips... ???

I like Adrian Amos in the third.

That is not true at all.

I said we need to address the O-line in this draft. And yes if Flowers is there I want us to take him, but I don't think he will be there.

I also said we have a better chance of addressing the O-line if we use earlier picks.

This is a classic case of you trying to make an argument where one does not exists.

That is not true at all.

I said we need to address the O-line in this draft. And yes if Flowers is there I want us to take him, but I don't think he will be there.

I also said we have a better chance of addressing the O-line if we use earlier picks.

This is a classic case of you trying to make an argument where one does not exists.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm trying to understand your decision. You argued that the best move, the right move, was to draft OL at #29. I'm trying to understand why you'd go with Phillips over Flowers in that situation, given your previously stated preference.

I only brought up Flowers because you listed him as your second choice. At least that's how I understood it.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm trying to understand your decision. You argued that the best move, the right move, was to draft OL at #29. I'm trying to understand why you'd go with Phillips over Flowers in that situation, given your previously stated preference.

I only brought up Flowers because you listed him as your second choice. At least that's how I understood it.

After running through a few mock drafts today, and checking out others on the web, I feel there is a good chance that Flowers will be gone when we pick. In my opinion, Flowers is the only chance we have of drafting an opening day starter at RT, without trading way up. This could be a major issue, depending on Gosder's situation.

If Flowers is there then I would like to see us take him. That has not changed.

There are other RT's in this draft, but they will likely be available later. Daryl Williams is one example, and the fall back plan would be to move him to RG, if he does not work out as a RT.

In the end, who knows what will happen? You don't. I don't. None of the so-called experts know.

We are having a hypothetical conversation about hypothetical situations. Anyone who pretends to know what will happen is only fooling themselves. 

What we do know is that if we want to advance to a Super Bowl then we need to protect Luck better in 2015. We have to be able to run the ball. We also have to stop the run. Those are our weaknesses that we will discuss and play armchair quarterback about; and what Grigson needs to accomplish to become a consistently successful GM. If he doesn't address these major issues soon then I fear the Colts will decline, especially as the AFC South gets better. 

After running through a few mock drafts today, and checking out others on the web, I feel there is a good chance that Flowers will be gone when we pick. In my opinion, Flowers is the only chance we have of drafting an opening day starter at RT, without trading way up. This could be a major issue, depending on Gosder's situation.

If Flowers is there then I would like to see us take him. That has not changed.

There are other RT's in this draft, but they will likely be available later. Daryl Williams is one example, and the fall back plan would be to move him to RG, if he does not work out as a RT.

In the end, who knows what will happen? You don't. I don't. None of the so-called experts know.

We are having a hypothetical conversation about hypothetical situations. Anyone who pretends to know what will happen is only fooling themselves. 

What we do know is that if we want to advance to a Super Bowl then we need to protect Luck better in 2015. We have to be able to run the ball. We also have to stop the run. Those are our weaknesses that we will discuss and play armchair quarterback about; and what Grigson needs to accomplish to become a consistently successful GM. If he doesn't address these major issues soon then I fear the Colts will decline, especially as the AFC South gets better. 

I'm not nitpicking your mock. I'm a big Phillips fan. My question -- which you answered in this post -- was why you chose him over Flowers. Now I understand that you didn't. 

I'm also not sure why the whole "no one knows" thing is relevant. That argument kind of undermines the whole point of doing a mock. Some mocks can get pretty unrealistic, and it makes sense to acknowledge that. It's why you wouldn't mock Brandon Scherff to us at #29. He's the best OL in the draft, and I'd love to have him, but he probably doesn't make it out of the top ten. You're right, no one really knows, but we can all agree that we don't have a shot at him. 

I don't really find anything unrealistic about your mock, so the previous paragraph kind of doesn't matter. My question was just about Phillips vs Flowers, given your previously stated preference. I'd choose Phillips also; I'm kind of leery of Flowers anyways because of his knee. I do think you're probably overdrafting Williams in the second. I'd rather go with Ogbuehi there, despite his knee; it's a ligament, not cartilage. Sambrailo might be an option, also.

I'm also not sure why the whole "no one knows" thing is relevant. That argument kind of undermines the whole point of doing a mock. Some mocks can get pretty unrealistic, and it makes sense to acknowledge that. It's why you wouldn't mock Brandon Scherff to us at #29. He's the best OL in the draft, and I'd love to have him, but he probably doesn't make it out of the top ten. You're right, no one really knows, but we can all agree that we don't have a shot at him

This is where we have our major difference of opinion. I have seen players drop several times, and even ones who everyone thought would be taken very high. There absolutely is a way we could draft Scherff, but not likely at #29. He could fall into the late teens and we might pull the trigger to go after him by trading up. Then again, players have been known to fall all the way out of a round due to something that only NFL teams knew.

Look at Rodgers. Everyone thought he would be taken in the top 3 or 5. He just kept dropping. It happens. And I think it is highly possible that a similar situation could happen to Mariota this year. But I doubt he makes it past the Eagles.

I'm not nitpicking your mock. I'm a big Phillips fan. My question -- which you answered in this post -- was why you chose him over Flowers. Now I understand that you didn't. 

I'm also not sure why the whole "no one knows" thing is relevant. That argument kind of undermines the whole point of doing a mock. Some mocks can get pretty unrealistic, and it makes sense to acknowledge that. It's why you wouldn't mock Brandon Scherff to us at #29. He's the best OL in the draft, and I'd love to have him, but he probably doesn't make it out of the top ten. You're right, no one really knows, but we can all agree that we don't have a shot at him. 

I don't really find anything unrealistic about your mock, so the previous paragraph kind of doesn't matter. My question was just about Phillips vs Flowers, given your previously stated preference. I'd choose Phillips also; I'm kind of leery of Flowers anyways because of his knee. I do think you're probably overdrafting Williams in the second. I'd rather go with Ogbuehi there, despite his knee; it's a ligament, not cartilage. Sambrailo might be an option, also.

Interesting that you're tossing out Ogbuehi in the late 2nd.    That's roughly where I think he could go...   his last year was very poor,  but people forget that his previous year was very good.    Played at a very high level as a RT as Matthews was the LT.

Fans here have really soured on the kid....   but he's very much on my radar for the Colts as an option at pick 61....

This is where we have our major difference of opinion. I have seen players drop several times, and even ones who everyone thought would be taken very high. There absolutely is a way we could draft Scherff, but not likely at #29. He could fall into the late teens and we might pull the trigger to go after him by trading up. Then again, players have been known to fall all the way out of a round due to something that only NFL teams knew.

Look at Rodgers. Everyone thought he would be taken in the top 3 or 5. He just kept dropping. It happens.

That's fair, but it's pretty unlikely. We might as well be talking about Leonard Williams. I know players drop, and anything can happen in the next four weeks, but Scherff seems like a sure thing in the top ten.

If he dropped to the late teens, he'd be in reasonable range for a trade up, but I don't think Grigson is going to trade up. Depending on the cost, I'd support a trade up for Scherff, I just don't see it.

Rodgers is a different case. First round QBs are mostly need-based picks.

Interesting that you're tossing out Ogbuehi in the late 2nd. That's roughly where I think he could go... his last year was very poor, but people forget that his previous year was very good. Played at a very high level as a RT as Matthews was the LT.

Fans here have really soured on the kid.... but he's very much on my radar for the Colts as an option at pick 61....

I think late second is aggressive for him. I'd prefer to take him in the late third, given his injury. He might not play this year. But if we see him as the future at RT, then late second is defensible.

That's fair, but it's pretty unlikely. We might as well be talking about Leonard Williams. I know players drop, and anything can happen in the next four weeks, but Scherff seems like a sure thing in the top ten.

If he dropped to the late teens, he'd be in reasonable range for a trade up, but I don't think Grigson is going to trade up. Depending on the cost, I'd support a trade up for Scherff, I just don't see it.

Rodgers is a different case. First round QBs are mostly need-based picks.

We have 9 picks, so I am not ruling out us trading up. It would not surprise me at all if we packaged a few players to get up higher. I am not saying we certainly will, because I don't know. Just saying that this is a year I think it is a possibility.

As far as Rodgers, Green Bay didn't really need a QB at that time. It turned out to be a good pick for them, and Favre was starting to talk about retirement, so it was justified. It was also a different time when the rookie salary cap was not so forgiving. Had the new current rookie salary cap been in place when Rodgers was picked, I am sure a team would have traded up for him long before he fell to Green Bay.

We have 9 picks, so I am not ruling out us trading up. It would not surprise me at all if we packaged a few players to get up higher. I am not saying we certainly will, because I don't know. Just saying that this is a year I think it is a possibility.

As far as Rodgers, Green Bay didn't really need a QB at that time. It turned out to be a good pick for them, and Favre was starting to talk about retirement, so it was justified. It was also a different time when the rookie salary cap was not so forgiving. Had the new current rookie salary cap been in place when Rodgers was picked, I am sure a team would have traded up for him long before he fell to Green Bay.

It was a sensible pick for Green Bay. You're right, with the new rookie wage scale, another team would have moved up for him. I don't think Mariota is a top five talent, but it's sounding more and more like someone is going to move up for him in that range. Kind of supports the idea that some players can be virtually locked in at the top of the board. Scherff seems like one of those players to me. If the Giants let him get past them, I think they're crazy.

As for trading up, I don't know anything. I just think it's unlikely. 

So it may not be perfect, but it sounded good when I wrote it, and must have gotten your attention or you would not be reading this. Just to have some fun, I am sharing some of my thoughts on players I want to have a shot of proudly wearing the Shoe. Feel free to rip it apart, because chances are none of it is true. Or maybe it all is. Who knows? We can all act like we know everything, but the truth is, we have no control, so we are just guessing. My guesses are below.

1) 29 - Jordan Phillips NT Oklahoma

We may be able to trade down a little and still get him, but he won't last long. Ereck Flowers is another good choice here too.

2) 61 - Jarvis Harrison OG Texas A&M

All of the measureables. Questionable work ethic is why he is not taken earlier.

3) 93 - Adrian Amos FS Penn State 

Surprise. The safety who fits what we do and who nobody is talking about.

4) 128 - Daryl Williams RT/RG Oklahoma 

Mauler who is also good in pass protection. If he does not work out as a RT then can easily be slid over to RG.

5) 165 - David Cobb RB Minnesota

Bruiser who quickly makes the correct decision, and will finish on third and short.

6) 205 - Andy Gallik C Boston College

Mean streak and plays with guts and grit. Not effective at the second level, but he holds down the line of scrimmage.

6) 207 - James Sample SS Louisville 

Plays in the box with good speed and range. Only one season as a starter and needs more experience. Could be a future starter.

7) 244 - Dexter McDonald CB Kansas

Tall and fast corner who needs to improve his technique. A season with Chuck could turn him into a very good football player.

7) 255 7 A.J. Tarpley ILB Stanford 

Smart football player who can cover backs and TE's. Has football pedigree following father and brother into college football.

I like the Amos pick had him in my mock but I don't think he will go in the first 2 days.

This is a deep draft for CB I think we need to walk away with Toler's replacement. He is 30 last year of his contract and we don't want to be paying FA prices for a corner. I'd love to see us grab a top CB early.

• 2 weeks later...

1st round- Stephone Anthony ILB Clemson

2nd round- Damarious Randall FS Arizona St.

3rd round - Steven Nelson CB Oregon St.

4th round- Frank Clark DE/OLB Michigan

5th round- Karlos Williams RB Florida St.

6th round- Antoine Everett OL Mcneese St.

7th round- Doniel Gambrell OL Notre Dame College

7th round- Davon Walls DT Lincoln