Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sign a true Fullback? [Merge]

GAColtsFan

It's truly astounding how much you care about practice squad players. 

On the contrary, I care a LOT about our practice squad players, every valuable unwasted position.....football players who know the game and have a shot at contributing.

I care about complete experiments occupying positions on the PS, when we could have real football players there practicing with the team and capable of filling in at the end of the season when we have real needs due to injuries.

I disagree with the thinking of "hitting the lottery" with low-success-possibility experiments and having them occupy 2 of those PS positions.

On the contrary, I care a LOT about our practice squad players, every valuable unwasted position.....football players who know the game and have a shot at contributing.

I care about complete experiments occupying positions on the PS, when we could have real football players there practicing with the team and capable of filling in at the end of the season when we have real needs due to injuries.

I disagree with the thinking of "hitting the lottery" with low-success-possibility experiments and having them occupy 2 of those PS positions.

1. How is that on the contrary? 

2. The practice squad is exactly where project players should be. 90% of practice squad players will never be meaningful contributes in the NFL anyway. 

I care about complete experiments occupying positions on the PS, when we could have real football players there practicing with the team and capable of filling in at the end of the season when we have real atching needs due to injuries.

I disagree with the thinking of "hitting the lottery" with low-success-possibility experiments  having them occupy 2 of those PS positions.

If we turn Swoope into a TE we will save some money being able to let Fleener or Allen walk. I agree chances aren't great but that's what the practice squad is for.

I assume the other guy you were talking about was Adongo as far as just taking up space. He spent the year on the IR.

We still have real football players there Quarles I am really interested to see what a difference a year makes. Then we have Lenz Langford developing WR Hoover and Arkin developing OL and Winston Guy who may see time this year at S.

Oh I forgot Price he has been there for 2 yrs I think we might see something from him this year too. He came in as a rookie 6'2 good speed just need to get stronger last year he was up around 200lbs. I hope the DB whisper has turned him into a player.

I am with you I wouldn't want a PS full of projects but as it turned out we only had one player like that on the PS this year. Which is about right one or two Grig's projects I don't think really hurts us especially with the expanded PS.

After reinforcing the RB position with Gore(he always had a FB with SF), i think we really need FB because Doyle,Allen have filled the position but they aren't a true FB. 

I think we don't have a true FB(on the roster right now) and Pep's scheme needs one so i'm not sure about the FB prospects this draft but i would trade a 3rd with Oak for M. Reece his cap is around 3.5M i think we can afford him because Pep's scheme maximize the FB and Reece is a playmaker, he would be a great adition to the team and we could have Gore,Herron, Ballard/Z.Tipton, because we'd took a RB on the 3rd round this year(but this class is filled with RB talent so that would be the only think against trading a 3rd, IMO).

So what do you think about the FB position this year?
and what do you think about a trade with Oak?

A 3rd for a FB? Hell no.

We don't need a FB. Doyle, Allen and even Fleener on occasion have performed more than sufficiently. It's essentially a waste of a roster spot.

I was watching a couple of Stanford games with Luck, and the FB always had great plays, i mean on any other scheme i wouldn't trade for a FB or i would be fine without one but this "non-West Coast offense" needs one IMO.

After reinforcing the RB position with Gore(he always had a FB with SF), i think we really need FB because Doyle,Allen have filled the position but they aren't a true FB. 

I think we don't have a true FB(on the roster right now) and Pep's scheme needs one so i'm not sure about the FB prospects this draft but i would trade a 3rd with Oak for M. Reece his cap is around 3.5M i think we can afford him because Pep's scheme maximize the FB and Reece is a playmaker, he would be a great adition to the team and we could have Gore,Herron, Ballard/Z.Tipton, because we'd took a RB on the 3rd round this year(but this class is filled with RB talent so that would be the only think against trading a 3rd, IMO).

The market for the best fullback in the draft this year is likely a 5th or a 6th rounder.

For all other fullbacks it is likely a 7th rounder of free agent.

We do NOT need a fullback.

Doyle is our fullback and he's very good at it.   

Allen is the back-up and he's also very good at it.

We do not need a fullback.    We're just not getting enough bang for our roster spot with a true fullback.

The market for the best fullback in the draft this year is likely a 5th or a 6th rounder.

For all other fullbacks it is likely a 7th rounder of free agent.

We do NOT need a fullback.

Doyle is our fullback and he's very good at it.   

Allen is the back-up and he's also very good at it.

We do not need a fullback.    We're just not getting enough bang for our roster spot with a true fullback.

Completely agree here. Jalston Fowler and Tyler Varga would be decent options in the 5th round, but we don't need them at all and there are much better options in the 5th like Jake Ryan and Taiwan Jones that we could use on defense which is much more important. If we want a Fullback, sign one as a UDFA and see if he has any use. Maybe he could be used as a rb as well as a fullback. We don't need a fullback and I don't expect us to draft or trade for one.

After initially locking the second thread, I was asked by a member to merge them instead so the conversation could continue.  For that reason, the above link won't work and the two threads regarding a fullback have been merged.  Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused

1. How is that on the contrary? 

2. The practice squad is exactly where project players should be. 90% of practice squad players will never be meaningful contributes in the NFL anyway.

"90% of practice squad players will never be meaningful contributes in the NFL anyway."

Don't say that around "RUDY" Ruettiger! :) This is a head-scratcher to me. To say that practice squads is where project players should be might be all well and fine. To say they do not contribute meaningful to the NFL is quite a remarkable unsubstantiated pile of (insert your choice of negative term here) .... IMO!

"90% of practice squad players will never be meaningful contributes in the NFL anyway."

Don't say that around "RUDY" Ruettiger! :) This is a head-scratcher to me. To say that practice squads is where project players should be might be all well and fine. To say they do not contribute meaningful to the NFL is quite a remarkable unsubstantiated pile of (insert your choice of negative term here) .... IMO!

No it isn't. 

No it isn't.

Well, we agree to disagree then. Heck, Dustin, we "all" are a contributing factor to the NFL by simply being fans. Limited degree of course. But a degree nonetheless. Fan-feedback is always used by the NFL all the time. Why shouldn't practice squads be? A very "IMPORTANT" degree IMO. They say, "practice makes perfect". You better believe it!

No it isn't.

I must take a "mea culpa" on that last sentence to you, Dustin. I meant what I said. However, I should've worded it differently. Sometimes people get their personal history of a topic tied into an expletive of negativity. I'm usually not that forward ... I.e. .. my last sentence to you. So, I'm apologizing to you. No one has contacted me or anything like that. I just needed to say that publicly for my own benefit and peace of mind.

I'm not sold with Doyle at FB position i think he looks good but since that's not his natural position i think a true fullback could be a big time contributor to the team, i know Doyle has filled really well but IMO if we get a true FB he would make this offense better, i think Doyle doesn't have the ideal frame to be a FB(he is little to tall).

I think Gore was behind a good FB on the 50% of the snaps and i know that offensive line is really nasty but if you check those highlights the FB always made a good block.