Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles G Evan Mathis on Trade Block [Merge]

hm could have sworn I heard it was better to cut him next year

If you don't do a post-June 1, then it would have a negative cap impact in 2015. So if you do it, it would be better for it to be post-June 1. And that can be done now, with a future designation. 

I don't know what the plan is, just sharing the info.

how is our o-line suppose to build chemistry with guards rotating in and out

because there are starters and back up's? Mewhort/Mathis would start at LG and Likely Herremans at RG with Lance Louis and

Mewhort/Mathis backing up whoever starts at LG don't see how having depth hurts team chemistry

because there are starters and back up's? Mewhort/Mathis would start at LG and Likely Herremans at RG with Lance Louis and

Mewhort/Mathis backing up whoever starts at LG don't see how having depth hurts team chemistry

backing up and rotating are not the same thing

I believed when we drafted him Mewhort would eventually take over for GC at RT. I thought that was Grig's plan let him cut his teeth on the inside then kick him out to RT. I am not so sure anymore. 

I wouldn't count on Thomas making it out of camp. He can't stay healthy.

I guess it would depend on the price and the plan for Mewhort but it would certainly be a significant short term upgrade. He is the highest rated guard on Madden and is pretty good in real life as well.

I would not give up a draft pick for a 34 year old guard carrying cap hits of 6.5 and 7 million the next 2 years.

I believed when we drafted him Mewhort would eventually take over for GC at RT. I thought that was Grig's plan let him cut his teeth on the inside then kick him out to RT. I am not so sure anymore. 

I guess it would depend on the price and the plan for Mewhort but it would certainly be a significant short term upgrade. He is the highest rated guard on Madden and is pretty good in real life as well.

I would not give up a draft pick for a 34 year old guard carrying cap hits of 6.5 and 7 million the next 2 years.

better to wait for him to be released and get him at reasonable salary

Jimmy Raye did a breakdown on Mewhort on Colts.com, and he said they viewed Mewhort as a guard prospect, even though he played tackle at Ohio State. That makes me think he's going to play guard, unless there's an emergency.

You don't pay a G 6.5 million to rotate in and out. You don't really rotate O Lineman unless there is an injury. Ideally you want the same group of guys to stay together and work together that is what makes a good O Line.

You don't pay a G 6.5 million to rotate in and out. You don't really rotate O Lineman unless there is an injury. Ideally you want the same group of guys to stay together and work together that is what makes a good O Line.

i'm not saying pay him 6.5 we would most likely ask him to take a pay cut if we traded him or if he was released get him much cheaper

I'm sure this has been talked about before but it seems the Eagles are keen on getting rid of him

I think he would be a great one year starter to help Mewhort develop behind him and let him

and Herremans be the starting RG and LG let the young guys rotate in says he could be had

for a 5th or even wait til he's released and sign him was PFF's #2 G last season

Merging your thread with another one from before

Jimmy Raye did a breakdown on Mewhort on Colts.com, and he said they viewed Mewhort as a guard prospect, even though he played tackle at Ohio State. That makes me think he's going to play guard, unless there's an emergency.

I personally think that is where he should stay. He can be really good there just needs to get that pull down.

We can grab our future at RT this year hopefully early a guy that can challenge right away.

I think we need to take a good look at the back end of the D this year. We add another DL at the top of the draft we should be pretty good up front provided we stay healthy of course. 

I really hope we don't go RB early this is a deep class we can find a guy day 3. I like Davis and Johnson. The will be options there no way that many backs go in the top 100.  It is a deep class.

better to wait for him to be released and get him at reasonable salary

He was the number 2 ranked G last year playing half the season pro bowler the last 2 years top PFF guard the last 3 and of course the number one rated G on Madden. I think there will be a market once he is released and the 13.5 M for the next 2 years goes away. I am not sure how reasonable of a salary anyone is getting him for.

He was the number 2 ranked G last year playing half the season pro bowler the last 2 years top PFF guard the last 3 and of course the number one rated G on Madden. I think there will be a market once he is released and the 13.5 M for the next 2 years goes away. I am not sure how reasonable of a salary anyone is getting him for.

I would offer the eagles a 4th rounder for him. it's worth it, and they may not say no if it means getting something for him. 

I would offer the eagles a 4th rounder for him. it's worth it, and they may not say no if it means getting something for him. 

He is a 34 year old guard..... you would offer a 4th round pick to pay him 6.5 M this year and 7 M next year. I don't think that is a very good move

He is a 34 year old guard..... you would offer a 4th round pick to pay him 6.5 M this year and 7 M next year. I don't think that is a very good move

He also fits better in a zone scheme. Unless we plan to run a lot more zone blocking -- which I hope, but there's no indication that's the case -- I'm not even sure Mathis is that good of a fit for us.