Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Less than 24hrs, what do the Colts get in FA that may be difficult in the draft?

I think there isn't much coming out on the Colts because after blowing the whistle on the Pats they want to make sure that they walk the line.  None of the local media seem to be offering much other than Holder saying that Suh wasn't a scheme fit and the money.  I hope the Fairley rumors are wrong no sense in paying that guy double compared to what others supposedly are offering.  I think that he comes with injury concerns as well & why would he be a scheme fit if Suh wasn't?

I think that the Colts have to come away with a pass rusher, safety, and WR in free agency.  Not knowing about Mathis, they may still need to draft a pass rusher even if they get one in FA.

WR-Andre Johnson

Pass Rush- Greg Hardy,  the legal may be a bad image but since it was dismissed maybe not so much? Maybe they can fill the contract with a lot of legal outs?

Safety-really not sure who they get, Searcy or Parker from KC maybe.  I'm guessing that they didn't like Branch enough when they had him in for a visit? Greg Cosell has been high on Gilchrist from SD for what it is worth.   Also curious to see what they do with Winston Guy in house & if Adams get resigned?

Everyone knows you pay a premium in FA, I just hope there aren't contracts that most national media think are way out of line for the player.  I.e Cherilus, Landry, Jackson, Walden.  I'm fine with Grigs & Co having conviction on who they want, that's there job, just don't spend champagne $ for beer.

:scratch:  :scratch: 

I think there isn't much coming out on the Colts because after blowing the whistle on the Pats they want to make sure that they walk the line.  None of the local media seem to be offering much other than Holder saying that Suh wasn't a scheme fit and the money.  I hope the Fairley rumors are wrong no sense in paying that guy double compared to what others supposedly are offering.  I think that he comes with injury concerns as well & why would he be a scheme fit if Suh wasn't?

I think that the Colts have to come away with a pass rusher, safety, and WR in free agency.  Not knowing about Mathis, they may still need to draft a pass rusher even if they get one in FA.

WR-Andre Johnson

Pass Rush- Greg Hardy,  the legal may be a bad image but since it was dismissed maybe not so much? Maybe they can fill the contract with a lot of legal outs?

Safety-really not sure who they get, Searcy or Parker from KC maybe.  I'm guessing that they didn't like Branch enough when they had him in for a visit? Greg Cosell has been high on Gilchrist from SD for what it is worth.   Also curious to see what they do with Winston Guy in house & if Adams get resigned?

Everyone knows you pay a premium in FA, I just hope there aren't contracts that most national media think are way out of line for the player.  I.e Cherilus, Landry, Jackson, Walden.  I'm fine with Grigs & Co having conviction on who they want, that's there job, just don't spend champagne $ for beer.

Walk the line after blowing the whistle on the Patriots? The draft and Grigson being silent has zero to do with that. Walk the line? The Colts have nothing to walk the line for. These two issues have nothing to do with each other. How you tied those two issues together I will never know. :scratch:

An elite pass rusher surely wont come our way in the draft, A good D Lineman with lots of potential should....Eddie Goldman. I think we have a good chance of drafting someone at Safety like Anthony Harris, Cody Prewitt or Derron Smith in the draft, I also expect a wr in the draft somewhere and a Scat Back

If the rumors are correct, do you feel he is worth double the guaranteed money?

Can't say without knowing the amount. This may be an exaggeration but if it's 1 million and we doubled it to 2 million.....then yeah not heartbroken. but if it's 20 million and we doubled to 40 million. ..someone get my pitchfork

I don't even know what other teams are offering! And these things can only be gauged in retrospect, to be honest. You have to pay whatever the market value is for a player. You see what kind of value you got long after pen is put to paper.

I will say two things;

-Fairley is a player who could be a huge upgrade on the D-line, with a huge upside.

-You rarely ever get value in FA.

Ratios are nothing without context. If other teams are offering him nothing guaranteed, then technically we would be offering twice the amount others are by not guaranteeing anything. 5 mill=10m, and so on. I would think the guarantee would be 10m normally, which in that case no I do not want to see Grigs giving 20m guaranteed, but that all depends on a yearly salary as well, which in this case could be structured to be cut with a 4m hit if he was getting say 8m/yr. It's all about language. Which Grigson has proven thus far to be well versed in exercising. 

Well, we know that the Colts could get a Running Back in the Draft (better deal than Gore, Murray, etc..) as well as another WR if needed.  But what is needed are other positions that the Colts have been less than fortunate in recent years in the Draft: Inside Linebacker, Center, Defensive End, Right Tackle, Rush Linebacker and Safety.  There is only a few quality Safeties in the Draft, and the best one is already off the board, going back to New England.  The Colts could still get Brandon Spikes or Rolando McClain to go with Jerrell Freeman.  They could get Stefen Wisniewski, one of the best younger Centers available, and believe it or not, Bryan Bulaga is still out there. Brian Orakpo and Greg Hardy are still available, even though Hardy would serve a pretty good suspension first. They could even get Trent Cole. As for safety, they could still get Rodney McLeod or Da'Norris Searcy, but one thing that free agency has that the Draft will never have is another Darrell Revis.. I would love for Revis to be a Colt and strike fear into another Team's passing attack, especially if that Team is New England..

Signing WR Andre Johnson would actually be a really good pickup for the Colts, as long as it's at the right price (don't overpay him). Most of the incentive for Johnson would be just to get out of Texas, and play for a contender for the first time since college. Johnson could mentor Collins, Moncrief and any other wide outs they find in the Draft.  But I would really like for the Colts to get a stud Running Back in the Draft, and then focus everything else on Defense.

Edited by 21isSuperman