Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is on your "Wish List"

ColtStronger

Right...  This conversation is done!

This conversation has been done since Mack was offered a contract by Jacksonville.  Everyone here knew there was no way we were getting him because of the absurd contract it would have taken to prevent Cleveland from matching.  ;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying Cherilus didn't get overpaid...though pretty much every FA signed ever is overpaid to some extent.  The discussion is about the degree to which he was over paid.

So, imagine the scenario that Grigson had offered Alex Mack a contract that Cleveland actually declined to match, allowing Mack to become a Colt.  At that point, imagining what the value of the supposed Mack contract would have been, do you really think that Cherilus would have been considered as overpaid as Mack would have been?  Especially had Cherilus been able to stay healthy, and no Cherilus had not been frequently injured prior to signing with the Colts so it's not like there were major red flags about his durability.

I don't understand the point of all the "imagine this...  or imagine that..."...??

I don't think this is a great apples to apples comparison.

Gosder was a complete free agent.      Mack was a restricted free agent.  

I agree with you that the only way to get Mack away from Cleveland would've been to so grossly over-pay him as to make it a poison contract for Cleveland.    And that would have hurt the Colts too.    That would've been a lose-lose scenario.

I'm just saying that while Gosder was the top ranked available free agent RT,   that didn't mean we had to make him the highest paid RT overall.     We elected to do that.   

I thought Gosder's first year was acceptable, but not great.    Clearly his 2nd year was worse (injuries)

The question now becomes how does Grigson handle Gosder from here?    Do nothing and bring him back?   Bring him back but try to restructure?    Cut him and make him a 6/1 casualty?     I don't know what he's going to do?    But at this point,  I'm not sure we can be surprised....

This conversation has been done since Mack was offered a contract by Jacksonville.  Everyone here knew there was no way we were getting him because of the absurd contract it would have taken to prevent Cleveland from matching.  ;)

You just keep coming back!  I don't get it...  Not the Mack conversation which is probably the 3rd subject from this ridiculously stupid debate.  Im talking about the whole conversation in general!  Just stop!

You just keep coming back!  I don't get it...  Not the Mack conversation which is probably the 3rd subject from this ridiculously stupid debate.  Im talking about the whole conversation in general!  Just stop!

you're the one that started the ridiculously stupid debate by saying it was a mistake not to pay Mack, and I've simply been trying to explain to you why Grigson opted NOT to pay Mack, but you keep insisting it was a mistake.  If you start ridiculously stupid debates you should be prepared for people to reply to explain to you why what you suggested will not or would not have worked.

I don't understand the point of all the "imagine this...  or imagine that..."...??

I know you don't, which is why I don't understand why you always reply to them.  :dunno:   I'm not saying you shouldn't reply, but these kind of wishful thinking or dream scenario type of threads are always going to be around and commenting in them that they have no basis in reality (which is understood as the entire premise of it being a wishful thinking/dream scenario thread) simply adds nothing.  I'd compare it to telling people they shouldn't play video games because they're not real. :)  Just something to consider

I don't think this is a great apples to apples comparison.

Gosder was a complete free agent.      Mack was a restricted free agent.  

I agree with you that the only way to get Mack away from Cleveland would've been to so grossly over-pay him as to make it a poison contract for Cleveland.    And that would have hurt the Colts too.    That would've been a lose-lose scenario.

I'm just saying that while Gosder was the top ranked available free agent RT,   that didn't mean we had to make him the highest paid RT overall.     We elected to do that.   

I thought Gosder's first year was acceptable, but not great.    Clearly his 2nd year was worse (injuries)

The question now becomes how does Grigson handle Gosder from here?    Do nothing and bring him back?   Bring him back but try to restructure?    Cut him and make him a 6/1 casualty?     I don't know what he's going to do?    But at this point,  I'm not sure we can be surprised....

I'm guessing you didn't read the entire thread.  I know it's not a straigth apples to apples comparison, but it's close enough for what I was trying to explain.  To summarize, ColtStronger said he thought it was a mistake for Grigson not to pay Mack.  Since then I've been trying to explain why Grigson didn't pay Mack, because it would have cost an absurd amount of money.  He replied saying that Landry and Cherilus were both overpaid, so why not overpay Mack.  Since then I've been trying to explain the difference between Grigson being willing to overpay (somewhat) for Cherilus vs. the absurd amount of overpaying he'd have had to do in order to sign Mack.  What the Colts do with Cherilus has no other bearing in the thread.

I know you don't, which is why I don't understand why you always reply to them.  :dunno:   I'm not saying you shouldn't reply, but these kind of wishful thinking or dream scenario type of threads are always going to be around and commenting in them that they have no basis in reality (which is understood as the entire premise of it being a wishful thinking/dream scenario thread) simply adds nothing.  I'd compare it to telling people they shouldn't play video games because they're not real. :)  Just something to consider

I'm guessing you didn't read the entire thread.  I know it's not a straigth apples to apples comparison, but it's close enough for what I was trying to explain.  To summarize, ColtStronger said he thought it was a mistake for Grigson not to pay Mack.  Since then I've been trying to explain why Grigson didn't pay Mack, because it would have cost an absurd amount of money.  He replied saying that Landry and Cherilus were both overpaid, so why not overpay Mack.  Since then I've been trying to explain the difference between Grigson being willing to overpay (somewhat) for Cherilus vs. the absurd amount of overpaying he'd have had to do in order to sign Mack.  What the Colts do with Cherilus has no other bearing in the thread.

I think YOU didn't read MY post.

I agree with your summation about NOT overpaying for Mack.    And by the way,  Mack didn't even get a single offer from another team.     We were not alone in not bothering to offer Mack,  and I love the guy...

But the poster who said we should didn't understand that Cleveland had the right to match and made it clear that they would.

The poster didn't understand the difference between Mack's FA status and Cherilous'

Finally.....   if you think I have a problem with posts that include the....   "imagine this or imagine that"....    then why did you use it in a post to me?

Hey,  just sayin....

I think YOU didn't read MY post.

I agree with your summation about NOT overpaying for Mack.    And by the way,  Mack didn't even get a single offer from another team.     We were not alone in not bothering to offer Mack,  and I love the guy...

No, I did read both of your posts.  What I said in the last one though was more specifically directed to your first reply to me, not the second.

But the poster who said we should didn't understand that Cleveland had the right to match and made it clear that they would.

The poster didn't understand the difference between Mack's FA status and Cherilous'

Yeah I got that from your second post, and I completely agree.  I just wanted to further explain how Cherilus even came up in the conversation.

Finally.....   if you think I have a problem with posts that include the....   "imagine this or imagine that"....    then why did you use it in a post to me?

Hey,  just sayin....

this part, ok I honestly don't know what you were trying to say.  I do think you have a problem with the "imagine this" type of threads because you've said as much in several threads of that type.  that's why I said I didn't understand why you continue to post in them explaining to people that they're not based in reality when that pretty much was the entire purpose of an "image if" type of thread. 

No, I did read both of your posts.  What I said in the last one though was more specifically directed to your first reply to me, not the second.

Yeah I got that from your second post, and I completely agree.  I just wanted to further explain how Cherilus even came up in the conversation.

this part, ok I honestly don't know what you were trying to say.  I do think you have a problem with the "imagine this" type of threads because you've said as much in several threads of that type.  that's why I said I didn't understand why you continue to post in them explaining to people that they're not based in reality when that pretty much was the entire purpose of an "image if" type of thread. 

WHAT THE....?      Look back at our discussion in this thread....

I'm NOT continuing to post in a hypothetical thread of any kind.

I responded to a post of yours, and then YOU answered with "imagine if...."

We were already engaged in discussion when YOU turned it into an "imagine if" thread...   and now, here you are,  asking ME why I am posting in this type of thread?

HELLO?!?!?

You basically shot me and now you're asking me why I got in the way of your bullet...

Well,  thanks for that!         :facepalm:

WHAT THE....?      Look back at our discussion in this thread....

I'm NOT continuing to post in a hypothetical thread of any kind.

I responded to a post of yours, and then YOU answered with "imagine if...."

We were already engaged in discussion when YOU turned it into an "imagine if" thread...   and now, here you are,  asking ME why I am posting in this type of thread?

HELLO?!?!?

You basically shot me and now you're asking me why I got in the way of your bullet...

Well,  thanks for that!         :facepalm:

Did you read the thread title or the other posts in the thread?  this was a "what if/imagine if" thread from the get go.  THAT is why I said I didn't understand why you keep posting in these types of threads...not because you kept replying to me. ;)

Did you read the thread title or the other posts in the thread?  this was a "what if/imagine if" thread from the get go.  THAT is why I said I didn't understand why you keep posting in these types of threads...not because you kept replying to me. ;)

Huh?

The thread title is....   "who is on your wish list"....

I have no trouble or issue with a wish list....

That's a long way before we start devolving into....  "what ifs.. or try to imagine..."  which is where YOU took this conversation!

:HFire:        :panic:              :help:            :peek:             :giveup:        

Huh?

The thread title is....   "who is on your wish list"....

I have no trouble or issue with a wish list....

Really?  Even though most of the posts included a phrase such as "I know this is a pipe dream..." or "well since this is a wish list..."    We'll just call it a difference in opinion then :P

That's a long way before we start devolving into....  "what ifs.. or try to imagine..."  which is where YOU took this conversation!

And the absolute only reason I did that was in trying to explain why the Colts didn't sign Mack.

oh and I'd meant to address this last night, but yes Alex Mack absolutely DID receive an offer from another team.  His current contract was originally offered to him by Jacksonville, on April 9, 2014.  However, as expected, Cleveland matched the offer and that's why Mack is still a Brown.

DT - Dan Williams or Pot Roast

OLB - Jason Worilds or McPhee 

DE - Do you guys think Hardy can play DE in a 3-4? Draft a DE for a 3-4 system.  Or maybe Odrick

OL - I really don't know, just hoping Heenan can turn out to be a good pick up.  And hoping we draft our future RT in the first round 

RB - I may be going against the grain here, but I like our RB position.  Sign Bradshaw again for cheap, let him heal and use him on the back half of the season.  I was really impressed with Boom.  He can find holes, has burst, and has good hands.  I remember what Ballard did a couple years ago and he was really good.  He can recover from these injuries as he is still very young.  

WR -  Re-sign Nicks because another year in our system and with Luck would be very beneficial.

ILB - Draft, I like our ILB, especially Freeman.

S - Draft, I think I would have to Seacy, because majority of free agent money will to O-line and D-line.  We really have no idea what we have with safety.  I think we might draft a safety in the 2nd Round.  

This isn't so much a wishlist as this can be realtiy.