Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I hope Grigson brings in some "PUNISHERS"

bluephantom87

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like the player who 'punished' a pizza delivery driver?  Yeah - exactly what the Colts need.

???I say again PUNISHERS ON THE FIELD!!! Jackson represents EXACTLY what the Colts have a bunch of SERVICEABLE players but no "fear factor" type of players on defense. I want to SEE that aggression against Blount or Gray not a pizza guy! To me Jackson should be your 2nd or 3rd best inside lb NOT your BEST! (almost 10yrs in the league now) The Colts need to pair him with a big thumper who hits with "bad intentions" on the inside. Outside Vonte and Mathis (impact players) with Newsome showing signs you can get away with a few guys like Jones, Jackson, Whalden or Adams IF you ADD some fearsome playmakers to go ALONG with them!! I'm not sure how Mathis will look either being in his 30's as a SPEED rusher coming off an Achilles tear. I hope that if Robert returns as a shell of himself that we don't see a replay from the coaches allowing Reggie to take up space from mid-season on as a STARTER while contributing little. I still cringe thinking about the Cowboys, Steelers and Patriot (x2) games of how OUTMATCHED that defense looked. Chapman is NOT the answer at nt and Redding is still a vocal leader but his skillset has diminished to where a younger nastier version is needed to help UPGRADE this defense.

Suh - I would do it.  Grigson talked about how he didn't regret the Richardson signing because it energized the team and fan base.  That might have been true for a game or two, but this would be that same move with substance.  This is a "big swing", as Grigson put it, which could transform you defense overnight. 

After we beat Denver, I recall Chris Berman comparing us to Green Bay with Favre and Holmgren - how they took a step forward every year in the playoffs.  In Green Bay, it was the Reggie White acquisition that gave their defense instant credibility and turned them into true contenders.  Suh could potentially do the same for this team at its greatest historical weakspot.  If in one swing, you can turn your greatest historical weakspot into a strength, do it. 

This DL needs PLAYMAKERS...         if Suh fits .. and Irsay will...    IF it fits,    .get him but he will cost a LOT.

If indy makes a move for Suh Grigs had better start hitting on his drafts for the next few years with deadly accuracy.  Cause this team is already about to get top heavy.

Suh has been a stud for how many years?  5 I think?   He is a baller, he is not a lazy slug like Albert.   and Corey had some weird disease if I remember right that ended his career.      He was good when he played.    

YOU just made me recall how unluckiy Indy is with DT's..         on second thought ...    leave Suh alone.

hehe

who says Suh wont be another Haynesworth or Corey Simon????

Did you watch the Dallas game in the playoffs?  He is double and TRIPLE teamed EVERY down and still is a force...

Suh is overrated. Has he ever shown up in big games and/or against good teams? He was a non-factor in the game against NE this year and in the playoffs. 

Suh - I would do it. Grigson talked about how he didn't regret the Richardson signing because it energized the team and fan base. That might have been true for a game or two, but this would be that same move with substance. This is a "big swing", as Grigson put it, which could transform you defense overnight.

After we beat Denver, I recall Chris Berman comparing us to Green Bay with Favre and Holmgren - how they took a step forward every year in the playoffs. In Green Bay, it was the Reggie White acquisition that gave their defense instant credibility and turned them into true contenders. Suh could potentially do the same for this team at its greatest historical weakspot. If in one swing, you can turn your greatest historical weakspot into a strength, do it.

If you miss on Suh, the ramifications are far more serious and drastic than missing on Richardson.

If you miss on Suh, the ramifications are far more serious and drastic than missing on Richardson.

I don't think Suh is the issue unless he was to get hurt...     The issue is depth, which Indy has NOT ANY ANYWHERE.

When Luck, Ty, and whoever else joins teh penthouse...    the draft becomes paramount.    Indy has got to hit.

We shall see...    Grigs will earn his money the next 2 years we will know EXACTLY what kind of GM we have.    or don't......

Suh - I would do it.  Grigson talked about how he didn't regret the Richardson signing because it energized the team and fan base.  That might have been true for a game or two, but this would be that same move with substance.  This is a "big swing", as Grigson put it, which could transform you defense overnight. 

After we beat Denver, I recall Chris Berman comparing us to Green Bay with Favre and Holmgren - how they took a step forward every year in the playoffs.  In Green Bay, it was the Reggie White acquisition that gave their defense instant credibility and turned them into true contenders.  Suh could potentially do the same for this team at its greatest historical weakspot.  If in one swing, you can turn your greatest historical weakspot into a strength, do it. 

Bad comparison ...   GB was loaded then...    LOADED.   GB had a roster full of playmakers.    Indy has 3 players that are elite...    Luck, Davis, and TY....   

That is it..  nobody else jumps out of the screen against good teams ... .  NO ONE.  

THAT said..   it only takes a couple studs on the DL to change the dynamic.      and change it in a very good way.   

But as is this front 7 is just average as the day is long....     and Bjorn not even dressing for NE....    ???   Good Lord I hope he was hurt or feeling bad or something ...  because that is not good...

Bad comparison ...   GB was loaded then...    LOADED.   GB had a roster full of playmakers.    Indy has 3 players that are elite...    Luck, Davis, and TY....   

As for their defense, at the time, they were ranked 23rd in defense.  Without looking, I bet you would be hard pressed to name more than one player on their D.  We're actually higher at 19.   

I won't disagree that we need more playmakers.  In fact, that's why I say yes to Suh.  Instead of types of free agents we've been going after, I'd rather go after the sure thing - the type of player who could potentially make everyone around him better. 

What ever Grigson does he needs to get stronger up the middle on both sides of the ball. DE, LB, S on defense and RB, G, maybe RT on offense. We are just super weak up the middle and defenses and offenses attack us here. On the edge I like us...especially if Mathis can give us anything next year and our secondary is pretty good if we bring back Butler. We need some difference makers there. We've brought in guys familiar with Pagano's system etc but no stars...I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what Suh would cost if he could fit as a DE in our scheme. That said we need a legit ILB too imo. I would just love a tackling machine in there. Wouldn't hurt if they could cover a bit but I'm just so sick of seeing runners side step, stiff arm, and bounce off our guys. Whatever we go out and get through the draft and FA it would be nice to get stronger in these areas. Suh would definately force double teams and be a disrupter...but he is a suspension waiting to happen too so if the price was right I love his ability and passion on the field.

What ever Grigson does he needs to get stronger up the middle on both sides of the ball. DE, LB, S on defense and RB, G, maybe RT on offense. We are just super weak up the middle and defenses and offenses attack us here. On the edge I like us...especially if Mathis can give us anything next year and our secondary is pretty good if we bring back Butler. We need some difference makers there. We've brought in guys familiar with Pagano's system etc but no stars...I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what Suh would cost if he could fit as a DE in our scheme. That said we need a legit ILB too imo. I would just love a tackling machine in there. Wouldn't hurt if they could cover a bit but I'm just so sick of seeing runners side step, stiff arm, and bounce off our guys. Whatever we go out and get through the draft and FA it would be nice to get stronger in these areas. Suh would definately force double teams and be a disrupter...but he is a suspension waiting to happen too so if the price was right I love his ability and passion on the field.

I'm not super excited about our defensive front, but I don't think we're soft up the middle. There's really only one team that has been able to run on us like it's nothing. I think the coaching staff has to figure that one out, and then the players have to be more disciplined and tackle better. But I think some of us are overreacting to one bad matchup. Generally speaking, the run defense is acceptable.

The coverage up the middle is pretty bad. TEs and slot receivers love the matchups. We can't cover an angle route by a RB.

And the pass rush is weak.

The thing is that if we don't figure out how to stop New England from running all over the field, we're not going to be able to get where we want to go. Until further notice we should just assume that if we keep winning in the playoffs we will eventually have to beat them.

I don't know if its a matchup issue or personnel or maybe Belichick using some kind of Jedi mind trick but we have to figure it out.

Aside from the draft and free agency that should be offseason priority number one, because guess what, we're probably gonna have to go there week 1.

Indy has 3 players that are elite...    Luck, Davis, and TY....   

That is it..  nobody else jumps out of the screen against good teams ... .  NO ONE.  

THAT said..   it only takes a couple studs on the DL to change the dynamic.      and change it in a very good way.   

But as is this front 7 is just average as the day is long....     and Bjorn not even dressing for NE....    ???   Good Lord I hope he was hurt or feeling bad or something ...  because that is not good...

Agree. Speaking of Bjorn many draft experts thought he would be a marginal player in the nfl based on his OVERALL skillset and thought he was a "reach" in the 1st rd. To me he doesn't look strong enough and gets manhandled WAY too often. I don't even see the burst to the qb like I see in Newsome which is why the Bjorn pick is starting to look questionable BUT with that being said I'm glad Grigs hit with Newsome because he seems to have a big upside. Some draft mags thought Newsome could become a steal in the later rds with the "potential" to become a dynamic player if he kept his head together. (So far so good) The time is NOW to start making championship moves by adding some much needed IMPACT players this offseason. 

The thing is that if we don't figure out how to stop New England from running all over the field, we're not going to be able to get where we want to go. Until further notice we should just assume that if we keep winning in the playoffs we will eventually have to beat them.

I don't know if its a matchup issue or personnel or maybe Belichick using some kind of Jedi mind trick but we have to figure it out.

Aside from the draft and free agency that should be offseason priority number one, because guess what, we're probably gonna have to go there week 1.

I'm convinced that it's scheme and execution. There's always a ton of missed tackles, poor gap integrity, and yards after contact. They aren't even a power run team until it's time to play us.

The coaches need to figure it out, because I don't think it's all personnel.

I've seen folks write about Terrance Knighton & Kevin Williams but the Detroit Free Press did a story about who would replace Suh if he left and listed Ahtyba Rubin as a potential first option?

If the Detroit Lions decide not to re-sign nor franchise-tag Ndamukong Suh, they could look to NFL free agency for his replacement — though it's a shallow crop right now. Here's a look at the top three defensive tackles who are set to be free agents:

Ahtyba Rubin

A sixth-round pick in 2008, Rubin has anchored the Cleveland Browns' run defense — and gotten paid like it, with a 2014 salary cap hit of more than $8.8 million. Only one player has spent more games in a Cleveland uniform since the team returned in 1999, but considering that the Browns finished last in run defense in 2014, they might go in a different direction.

I'm not super excited about our defensive front, but I don't think we're soft up the middle. There's really only one team that has been able to run on us like it's nothing. I think the coaching staff has to figure that one out, and then the players have to be more disciplined and tackle better. But I think some of us are overreacting to one bad matchup. Generally speaking, the run defense is acceptable.

The coverage up the middle is pretty bad. TEs and slot receivers love the matchups. We can't cover an angle route by a RB.

I confess this line in bold is surprising to me.

I say that because I get the impression from the stat geeks here that the ratings for DQJ and Freeman are very much in the negative column.    That, even though they lead the team in tackles,  many of them are further away from the line of scrimmage than the rating service thinks is appropriate.

So, if we're getting bad NT play (and I'm sorry to say that I think we are...)   and we're getting soft ILB play (which is what I think the stat services are saying...)   and we don't get great run support from the safeties (isn't that the consensus view here, at least for Landry?)     then doesn't that add up to being "soft up the middle?"

I say that because I get the impression from the stat geeks here that the ratings for DQJ and Freeman are very much in the negative column.    That, even though they lead the team in tackles,  many of them are further away from the line of scrimmage than the rating service thinks is appropriate.

So, if we're getting bad NT play (and I'm sorry to say that I think we are...)   and we're getting soft ILB play (which is what I think the stat services are saying...)   and we don't get great run support from the safeties (isn't that the consensus view here, at least for Landry?)     then doesn't that add up to being "soft up the middle?"

Its not really so much a soft up the middle issue as it is D Linemen being undisciplined in there run fits and our Linebackers suffering for it, Though our D Linemen do tend to wear down later in games

We loss to the Patriots 3 straight times because we couldn't stop the run or get pressure on Brady from the interior pass rush. This team needs to draft a big physical DE that can take on two blockers and pass rush. I know there aren't many players in the league like Ngata, but that's the kind of player the team needs.

We also could use another RB, AP would really change the dynamic of the team. Luck needs someone he can hand the ball off too 20x when the weather gets bad in the playoffs.

I say that because I get the impression from the stat geeks here that the ratings for DQJ and Freeman are very much in the negative column. That, even though they lead the team in tackles, many of them are further away from the line of scrimmage than the rating service thinks is appropriate.

So, if we're getting bad NT play (and I'm sorry to say that I think we are...) and we're getting soft ILB play (which is what I think the stat services are saying...) and we don't get great run support from the safeties (isn't that the consensus view here, at least for Landry?) then doesn't that add up to being "soft up the middle?"

I'm talking specifically against the run.

I don't think our nose play is a problem. We don't have the best run stopping nose tackle ever, but Chapman is adequate. Like you, I think stamina is an issue for several of our linemen, and they should drop some weight. That would allow Chapman to be more effective for longer stretches, and then Hughes and Jones can rotate with him. But Chapman graded out well against the run, despite some bad games.

Jackson was good against the run, unless we were playing the Pats. Freeman got washed out a lot, and couldn't get around blockers as well because he was a little slowed by injury. Jackson's problem was in coverage, and Freeman wasn't consistent there either.

And as I've said many times, I don't think we had issues stopping the run unless we were playing the Pats. So I don't want to be a prisoner of the moment (or three moments over the last 20 games) and think the defense can't stop the run. Things get wacky against one team, and I think it's coaching and execution, not personnel. The Pats aren't even a power run team, we just get sloppy against them.

Now, coverage and pass rush is a different story. Those are the areas that concern me. And if we try to add thick run stoppers up the middle, we actually weaken the coverage and pass rush. I think a lineman who is good against the run and provides pass rush is what we need, and a linebacker and a safety who aren't liabilities when they have to cover TEs and slot receivers.

I'm open to competing theories.

I'm talking specifically against the run.

I don't think our nose play is a problem. We don't have the best run stopping nose tackle ever, but Chapman is adequate. Like you, I think stamina is an issue for several of our linemen, and they should drop some weight. That would allow Chapman to be more effective for longer stretches, and then Hughes and Jones can rotate with him. But Chapman graded out well against the run, despite some bad games.

Jackson was good against the run, unless we were playing the Pats. Freeman got washed out a lot, and couldn't get around blockers as well because he was a little slowed by injury. Jackson's problem was in coverage, and Freeman wasn't consistent there either.

And as I've said many times, I don't think we had issues stopping the run unless we were playing the Pats. So I don't want to be a prisoner of the moment (or three moments over the last 20 games) and think the defense can't stop the run. Things get wacky against one team, and I think it's coaching and execution, not personnel. The Pats aren't even a power run team, we just get sloppy against them.

Now, coverage and pass rush is a different story. Those are the areas that concern me. And if we try to add thick run stoppers up the middle, we actually weaken the coverage and pass rush. I think a lineman who is good against the run and provides pass rush is what we need, and a linebacker and a safety who aren't liabilities when they have to cover TEs and slot receivers.

I'm open to competing theories.

definitely coaching when it comes to being able to stop the run vs the Patriots, Getting beat repeatedly on wham blocks(The ability of Belichick and Daniels to design different schemes to employ wham blocks was top notch) with not really any adjustments being made, Though the tackling was bad, The Patriots also exploited a couple of our D Line shifts and just sent an O Lineman up to the 2nd level up on a Linebacker freeing up a running lane, Just a solid game plan ran to near perfection and neither our staff nor players could adjust...Though hard to adjust when you have bad tackling

Give me guys like Freeman and D'Qwell every day of the week in this league, to the OP, I question why you mention these two. They're very good players

I like Freeman and Jackson also but with that being said I don't like BOTH as starters. (two of the smaller type ILBs) One or both could provide nice depth on the inside. I would say Freeman is a little better in coverage but not good enough for the front office to say he is the answer. They both play hard. It's the PHYSICAL limits that hamper both from being my set in stone linebackers. If you are going to be on the smaller side then SPEED should be your ally and BOTH are avg thus having trouble with the quicker TEs, rbs and some slot guys (in zone) thus making them liabilities in coverage. Also being on the smaller side it is EASIER to overpower the two and makes it difficult to shed blockers or take down power backs one on one or deal with Gronk type physical TEs who can WEAR them down as the game goes on. So to HELP mask their flaws the d-line MUST play lights out holding up the opposing o-line in the trenches WHILE getting penetration up the middle. (an area of concern for this team) The Colt's need one ILB with some SIZE that can lay the wood with at least avg speed and another with speed along with size (height a plus) that has some coverage skills. I'm of the mindset that many on this defense can be UPGRADED and used for depth but the plan SHOULD be to get BETTER (not settle) in order to hoist the :lombardi: ! 

Those are definately some of our issues. I don't think Suh is a priority but I'm sure Redding is probably done so I'm assuming we will sign a DT. I will say I love pressure up the middle. Guys that push the pocket back and collapse it are very valuable imo and also are strong enough to make plays against the run I think are just hard to find. If teams have to double inside it frees up backers and hopefully pushing the pocket back allows speed edge rushers leave the qb no place to go as they can't step up...really benefit a Mathis or young rusher who can't always get around his man. I'm sure Suh will be out of our range or at least so expensive it wouldn't leave us the flexibility we need...but that said I don't mind adding a player of his caliber if it means sacrificing a couple players of the caliber of say an RJF and Walden etc. Losing a couple solid players for a proven stud at this point I think is worth the risk/reward. I'm all for taking shots at guys that we think have potential but so few guys with the kind of potential that will put us over the top are going to hit free agency.

I do agree that LBs are our biggest weakness though. We were all high on Freeman his first year but I think he really came down to earth this year. Perhaps it was injuries IDK but I think we have gotten the best from him and Jackson I think was a stop gap type of guy. We could really use some young stud blood at that position and OLB. We are never going to fill all our needs in one offseason but we should be at the point where we should only have a couple holes to fill but alas sometimes I feel like Grigsons signings haven't had the effect of eliminating those needs as much as I would like. We have a lot of adequate guys and thats great..but we lack those real impact players on defense outside of say Davis and perhaps Mathis. Wouldn't mind a couple maulers for that OL. I'm not so worried about wrs because I think Luck will elevate just about anyone.

I love stability etc...but sometimes I wonder about some of our coaches....stability for stability sake isn't necessarily good. I do feel we get outcoached/schemed sometimes but who doesn't by Belicheck. If we can just add a couple pieces and hopefully get a guy here and there from our draft to step up I would be thrilled. That is why I'm ok with adding someone like Suh if we can do it feasibly. There just isn't another guy like that out there likely that could make the same difference for our team the next 4-5 years. I really love guys that aren't just an upgrade over the next guy up...but also upgrade the guy playing next to them...I think he is that kinda special.

We are never going to fill all our needs in one offseason but we should be at the point where we should only have a couple holes to fill but alas sometimes I feel like Grigsons signings haven't had the effect of eliminating those needs as much as I would like. We have a lot of adequate guys and thats great..but we lack those real impact players on defense outside of say Davis and perhaps Mathis. Wouldn't mind a couple maulers for that OL. I'm not so worried about wrs because I think Luck will elevate just about anyone.

Lots of good points in this post, but I just wanted to respond to this.

The main reason it seems like we have so many holes is because we misused two straight first round picks. Imagine if Werner was more of an impact player last season, and imagine if we had used the 2014 pick on a defensive prospect, maybe Jimmie Ward or Dom Easley. I'm a Grigson supporter, but he's really dug a hole for this team and himself with those two decisions. 

The other thing, I think people are looking at Grigson's free agent signings from the wrong angle. Those signings replaced weaker players, and no they aren't premium guys, but they have helped the team get to 11 wins these past couple of years. They weren't meant to be standout players (maybe Landry and Cherilus were), but more gap fillers. Again, things would be different if we hadn't wasted two first rounders in a row. 

I think we'll get settled at C and RG this season. The only question mark is RT. 

The main reason it seems like we have so many holes is because we misused two straight first round picks. Imagine if Werner was more of an impact player last season, and imagine if we had used the 2014 pick on a defensive prospect, maybe Jimmie Ward or Dom Easley. I'm a Grigson supporter, but he's really dug a hole for this team and himself with those two decisions. 

The other thing, I think people are looking at Grigson's free agent signings from the wrong angle. Those signings replaced weaker players, and no they aren't premium guys, but they have helped the team get to 11 wins these past couple of years. They weren't meant to be standout players (maybe Landry and Cherilus were), but more gap fillers. Again, things would be different if we hadn't wasted two first rounders in a row. 

I think we'll get settled at C and RG this season. The only question mark is RT. 

Good post, which I'd like to expand on.....

I think it's more than just Werner/Trent not working out in back-to-back years,  although they are clearly the most high profile misses.

But in that 2013 draft,  the Colts have yet to get almost any return on our investment.

Thornton -- can't seem to stay healthy,  doesn't play that great when he plays.

Holmes -- can't seem to stay out of the trainers room,  so he hasn't played all that much.

Hughes -- situational player who doesn't seem to have much of an impact.

Boyett -- drank himself out of town before his career even started.

Williams -- didn't make the team and now he had a nice game running for Arizona.

That whole class may not be One Big Whiff,  but some of these guys need to step up their game now that they're going into their 3rd year.    There's still time for some of these guys to turn into what we hope they will.   But the clock is ticking....

I agree 100%...great point on building a solid foundation...that makes good sense....so now....we have the foundation....its time to bring in a difference maker?? lol Its a long shot I know I know...and you know I'm not the guy that throws out crazy propositions..just be nice to spend money that we are giving away for mediocre talent at a couple positions to upgrade us at a position....thinking the drop off from a RJF type player that we wouldn't be able to sign to another backup would be worth it. I mean we've seen capable guys pulled from scrap heaps before (Dallas dline for one) and played admirably. I'm ok with replacing other role players if it means getting a difference maker. There really isn't a lot out there in FA that appeals to me....but Suh is one of those guys that is worth the money imo. He has been the anchor on that line for the last several years and guys have come and gone all around him and he has been that constant...and he has elevated that line imo. 

As far as the line goes...Luck can account for RT imo. No I don't want a turnstyle over there but if a guy gets beat occassionally it doesn't bother me so much. If they can help run block and just be decent I'm ok. Much more interested in stopping pressure up the middle in Lucks face. If Andrew can step up he is fine....he gets in trouble when he can't. Let him slide up into the pocket and avoid the outside rush. Run game and pressure up the middle is more important in my eyes....and actually was it Ritz that did ok at RT at the end? Fix center and right guard....let Mewhort and Consanzo hold down the left. If Cherilus is done bring in some competition at RT....I just would like to see us be able to run the ball a bit and keep pressure out of Lucks face.....he can account for the edge rush...you come too hard he will slide up and through and gash you. You made a really good point in what Grigson has done in building a foundation...and I'm not a have to win now guy but I think we are a few players away and I'm not the guy that says play it safe and see if Luck can carry us to a SB.....sure Peyton did that to a couple but I'm all right taking your shots...if it doesn't work rebuild around your core. For a "monster" we just seem a little soft...and we lack leadership on defense imo. We could really use some fire out there.