Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gordon suspended for at least one year.

Cynjin

Well I think that's ridiculous and sad but I know everyone disagrees. Certain policies need to be changed IMO, and again, the NFL shouldn't be able to police players personal lives.

its the program he agreed to. We have a drug and alcohol program where i work. If you fail a drug test you don't get fired, you enter this program. By doing so you agree to not do drugs or drink alcohol for three years and you also get tested more often. If you fail another test you lose your job. He and the union agreed to the terms. He gets to live with the consequences.

Well I think that's ridiculous and sad but I know everyone disagrees. Certain policies need to be changed IMO, and again, the NFL shouldn't be able to police players personal lives.

It's not just the NFL.  All employers can adopt drug free work environments. 

Under current laws, employers:

• Can require their applicants or employees to take drug tests as a condition of employment

• Can prohibit the illegal use of drugs and alcohol in the workplace

• Can deny employment to any current or potential employee who breaks their current drug-free workplace policy

• Cannot classify a person currently engaging in the illegal use of drugs, but who is not considered an addict, as an "individual with a disability"

In addition to these employer rights, when dealing with the abuse of alcohol, employers:

• Can classify an alcoholic as an "individual with a disability"

• Can require alcoholics to meet the same standard of employee conduct that all other employees are expected

• Can discipline or deny employment to any current or potential employee whose alcohol abuse affects their ability to perform at work

Players already been caught are on a short leash.  They get test much more often and for more items than players that have not yet been tested or have tested negative.

A player can be tested for PED's  anytime, but only for recreational substances in off and pre-season; not regular season, if never tested positive before.

Really? You are right. Most do disagree. When you want the big money you make sacrifices and that includes drug and or alcohol abuse. If you would rather drink or do drugs after signing the contract then you don't deserve the contract. The NFL is no different than any other job. Matter of fact the NFL players get more breaks than the average worker does. In the real world most lose their jobs and not a suspension. The insurance companies don't have to cover an employee who can't stay sober.

Really? You are right. Most do disagree. When you want the big money you make sacrifices and that includes drug and or alcohol abuse. If you would rather drink or do drugs after signing the contract then you don't deserve the contract. The NFL is no different than any other job. Matter of fact the NFL players get more breaks than the average worker does. In the real world most lose their jobs and not a suspension. The insurance companies don't have to cover an employee who can't stay sober.

A very well written post CC1. Spot on accurate too.  :thmup:

At some point a player that is having problems with drugs or whatever it may be, needs to think about what he is tossing away. If the NFL needs to change policy or not is besides the point. He just tossed MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars out the window just to smoke some wacky weed. I was listening to someone on the radio this morning and they were talking about this. May be the best thing for him to do is take the year off( like he has a choice) then go play in the CFL for a year or two then come back to the NFL kind of like Ricky Williams did. Personally I cant imagine getting a 30 minute buzz every once in a while is worth millions of dollars and if he thinks it is so great then refrain for a few years, make your money in the pros, retire. Then spend the rest of your life out there in la la land smoking all of the dope you can buy.

All players crimes will eventually be blamed on the NFL..

..////NFL players want a world where they can commit crimes with no penalty from their job...

Their 'union', many fans and most media feel that the NFL shouldnt be able to police their crimes as would happen with normal people in a normal job...(where when you commit multiple misdemeanors or a felony, you would be fired)