Donald Thomas [$3.25M]

Trent Richardson [$0]

Shaun Phillips [$2.6M]

Cap Space: $43M

Colts Free Agents:

Mike Adams: Re-sign 1 year $2M

Darius Butler: Re-sign 2 year $4M

Sergio Brown: Re-sign 1 year $1M

Jerrell Freeman - Let him walk. Even if he's dirt cheap. Re-signing him locks him in as a starter. 

Extensions:

TY Hilton: 5 year $45M

Cap Space: $25M

NFL Free Agents: 

RB CJ Spiller: 2 year $6M

EDGE Brandon Graham: 3 year $12M 

ILB: Brandon Spikes: 1 year $3M

Remaining Cap Space: $18M (Plenty of roll-over for Luck, Allen, Castonzo)

Draft:

Round 1 - Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami. You wanna be tougher on defense? The you need a tone setter in the middle of your D. When Denzel Perryman hits you, you stop. So, so in coverage, but the strongest and arguably best ILB in the draft. "Whatever Perryman hits, he destroys." - Daniel Jeremiah. He won't get trucked by a fullback at the goaline like D'Qwell.

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253694&gif=VerifiableIllinformedKingfisher

Round 2 - Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State. I wanted to grab a big, physical jump-ball WR at some point, but there aren't many reasonable options. Green is a smooth athlete. With Reggie retiring, we need a player who can be a building block in the slot. I believe Greene can be that player. He reminds me of Marqis Lee. 

Round 3 - Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn. Undersized, athletic, verstaile. Three word that can describe Wright. We need more athleticism on the Dline that doesn't consist of playmakers. 

I'd keep going, on the draft part, but I'm not totally caught up with all the late prospect and would feel disingenuous to comment on players I haven't seen yet. So there it is. Until next time.

You were serious about Spiller. 

In all, a decent offseason. But the ILBs are still weak in coverage. And I like Perryman, but Freeman is better in coverage. And you still need a safety, unless you're just ready to roll with Sergio. Better than Landry in coverage, but again, the middle of the defense...

And what of the offensive line?

In all, a decent offseason. But the ILBs are still weak in coverage. And I like Perryman, but Freeman is better in coverage. And you still need a safety, unless you're just ready to roll with Sergio. Better than Landry in coverage, but again, the middle of the defense...

No realistic free agents from a quick glance over. Maybe we take one in the draft, but for now it looks like we hope for natural progression. 

So we basically do nothing for our offensive line?

Do you honestly expect us too?

Castonzo and Mehwort are locks. Cherilus is a lock with that contract. Thornton is going to be a lock. The center position is going to be between Holmes and Harrison. 

No realistic free agents from a quick glance over. Maybe we take one in the draft, but for now it looks like we hope for natural progression. 

Do you honestly expect us too?

Castonzo and Mehwort are locks. Cherilus is a lock with that contract. Thornton is going to be a lock. The center position is going to be between Holmes and Harrison. 

I don't think Cherilus is a lock.

As for FAs, Clint Boling is available (albeit unlikely to leave Cincinnati). Bryan Bulaga, though he has injuries. Tough year for FA OL. But there's also the draft.

I'm okay with natural progression at guard; I think Nixon, Harrison, Thornton, etc., all have the ability to be good guards, but need a lot of coaching. I'd re-sign Reitz to a reasonable deal; I don't think he has a market. Lots of competition at guard.

We could still address O-line in rounds 4-7 in this scenario, but I get what you're saying.

In this instance maybe we could sign a reasonably priced vet wideout (Crabtree, Royal) instead of taking one in the 2nd. This would allow us to upgrade other areas such as the line.

I've been a huge advocate of ILB McKinney in the 1st, primarily because of his stature, but since Perryman hits with cruel intentions he'll work too. We might also be able to trade back a little if he is our target.

I'd say go with Perryman and Derron Smith then. Instant upgrade in the middle of the field.

We do need an upgrade at ILB, but I would rather have Freeman then Jackson. Jackson only has one year left on his deal and he's too slow to cover in man coverage. I would pass on Spiller because he can't stay healthy. 

As far as the draft, I like Perryman even if we re-sign Freeman. Need depth because of injuries and inconsistent play. In the 2nd I would draft a interior pass rusher and a RB late. The offensive line just have to play better, Grigson has already invested so many draft picks and money into it.

I don't think Cherilus is a lock.

As for FAs, Clint Boling is available (albeit unlikely to leave Cincinnati). Bryan Bulaga, though he has injuries. Tough year for FA OL. But there's also the draft.

I'm okay with natural progression at guard; I think Nixon, Harrison, Thornton, etc., all have the ability to be good guards, but need a lot of coaching. I'd re-sign Reitz to a reasonable deal; I don't think he has a market. Lots of competition at guard.

You don't think Orlando Franklin will hit the open market? I was starting to think he might be a good fit at guard.

Sure, he'd be a nice get. I'm just more interested in the answer at RT.

Oh yeah. I don't think there's a long term solution that will hit the market in FA. I think Cherlius probably starts at RT for 1 more season because of that. There's a couple guys in the draft that could be long term answers, who knows if we end up with one.