Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton says he has no plans to retire

RockThatBlue

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/24/peyton-manning-has-no-plans-to-retire-this-offseason/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=3289083&utm_source=FB%20-%20SNF%20on%20NBC&utm_tags=

From the link.

The Broncos quarterback said Wednesday that he planned on playing for the Broncos next year, assuming they want a 39-year-old quarterback.

“I certainly plan on being back if the Broncos will have me,” Manning said, via Mike Klis of the Denver Post. “At this point I’m thinking about Oakland. I know this is the time when there are conversations about what coaches are going to return.

Peyton says he has no plans to retire...

Basically it's: "I'm too old, my skills have declined, I don't have anything else in life I want to do, I want to keep padding my stats so Brady never catches me."

If Brady was already retired I feel Peyton would be retiring after this year.

Clearly the reason. Not the love of football...

Basically it's: "I'm too old, my skills have declined, I don't have anything else in life I want to do, I want to keep padding my stats so Brady never catches me."

What are you even talking about? As long as he's playing at a high level then there isn't any reason for him to retire.

Your whole post was all speculation with no reasoning behind it. Take your hate elsewhere

There's got to be somewhere on the Internet where this type of Manning hatred is celebrated.

This was to be expected as I stated before I think Manning will play out his contract . 2016 will be his last season ..

That's what he's always said....CNR....Folks always predict Brady and Manning to retire so they can say they called it.,.

This latest 'news flash' is like getting a story from our correspondent 'Annie' saying the sun will come up tomorrow...

Its Christmas Eve..a slow news day

I am trying to figure out who you hate more - Brady or Manning.

Did you see the 3rd quarter Monday...Peyton's best of the season.

He threw interceptions in bad weather...that's happened before..

Folks overreact to every Peyton game

Mark, did you see the other three quarters? That was brutal to watch and it only rained in the fourth quarter not the first two. That being said, this is not all Manning. Something is up with that Denver O. The line is bad for sure but wow are his receivers soft all of a sudden. How can Julius let a CB rip that ball out for a pick? Gronk would rip the defenders arm off before he would let a CB take the ball from him. And what about Demarius? Seems like he always does something silly like grabbing that defenders face mask on a big play. And the defense looks lost as well. Demarcus Ware has slowed down. No sacks the last 4 games I believe which is why Dallas moved on from him. And what about Miller? I don't think his name was called once in that game. The only guy on defense that is balling is Talib. And then there is the ST's. Yikes. Might be the worst in the league.

All that being said, Denver lost that game due to Manning's poor play. I don't think that can be denied. He threw two picks with a chance to win the game for Denver with the second being the pick six to seal the game. I am not sure what is going on but if he wants to come back more power to him but I am not sure he will be starting for Denver next season. He will be evaluated in the off-season for his neck like he always is but to pay him $20 mil in his current form is not something Elway will do IMO. Needless to say, this off-season will be interesting to watch ...

I am not surprised he does not want to retire but if this season is an indication of a decline in his game than next year could be really ugly to watch. I really hope he walks away before we have to witness an ugly end to a historic career.

Mark, did you see the other three quarters? That was brutal to watch and it only rained in the fourth quarter not the first two. That being said, this is not all Manning. Something is up with that Denver O. The line is bad for sure but wow are his receivers soft all of a sudden. How can Julius let a CB rip that ball out for a pick? Gronk would rip the defenders arm off before he would let a CB take the ball from him. And what about Demarius? Seems like he always does something silly like grabbing that defenders face mask on a big play. And the defense looks lost as well. Demarcus Ware has slowed down. No sacks the last 4 games I believe which is why Dallas moved on from him. And what about Miller? I don't think his name was called once in that game. The only guy on defense that is balling is Talib. And then there is the ST's. Yikes. Might be the worst in the league.

All that being said, Denver lost that game due to Manning's poor play. I don't think that can be denied. He threw two picks with a chance to win the game for Denver with the second being the pick six to seal the game. I am not sure what is going on but if he wants to come back more power to him but I am not sure he will be starting for Denver next season. He will be evaluated in the off-season for his neck like he always is but to pay him $20 mil in his current form is not something Elway will do IMO. Needless to say, this off-season will be interesting to watch ...

a.m.

I think you know Ive seen every game....

To say the other 3 quarters were Brutal is a wild exaggeration...

Critics point to wobbly passes...Jay Cutler throws perfect spirals. They're beautiful. You should see 'em.

Lets be accurate.

Denver lost at Concy because they gave up 200 yards rushing and special team gave up 200 yards..Barth missed a makebale field goal

AND Manning threw 4 interceptions......I know you saw the game

You are making the mistake of jumping all over the last thing you saw..

Peyton Manning leads the league in TD passes and his team is 11-4. Is it unusual for a QB to pass poorly in the rain. (and throw for 300)? When you looked at the Broncos schedule, didnt you think a late December road game at Cincinatti was a potential loss?

You had the Broncos finishing 11-5 right? Without the TE for the last 5-6 weeks and their top linebacker all year...they are 11-4.

Peyton has not been in decline since the Rams game. Did you see the Miami win. Or the San Diego win?

Admit it. We (and I use that term loosely) have 'retired' Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning this season...At last report all

were thriving. ..and NE reporters actually asked Dollar Bill Belichik who he was going to start in week 5...?

Did you think Tom Brady was in decline then?. Nobody with any sense did. Same is true now

I am trying to figure out who you hate more - Brady or Manning.

Mark, did you see the other three quarters? That was brutal to watch and it only rained in the fourth quarter not the first two.

I can be critical of both Peyton and Brady.  You salivate over Brady with such extreme bias and bash Peyton.  At least I'm consistent and fair.

You're hardly ever critical of anything Brady does.  You make excuses for him all the time, blaming the O-line or his WR's or defense.

Learn to be objective and not a Green Teamer homer.  You're not on the Pats' payroll.  So it's pointless to throw yourself in front of Brady like you're his Secret Service or acting like some Patriots' P.R. person.

I am not surprised he does not want to retire but if this season is an indication of a decline in his game than next year could be really ugly to watch. I really hope he walks away before we have to witness an ugly end to a historic career.

The only way this season is a decline for Peyton Manning is if you compare it to last season..when the broke most NFL single season passing records...

What's changed? Look at the 2103 schedule and look at the 2104 schedule. AFC East. NFC West.

I sincerely hope that he continues to play. His pick six in the Saints SB, his epic collapse last year, his obvious decline...

Yeah, keep it coming.

If you're going to list things...  you've left a few things off....

On August 28, 2014, Manning was fined $8,268 for taunting D.J. Swearinger during a preseason game against the Houston Texans. With the Broncos' win in their opening game of the 2014 NFL season against the Indianapolis Colts, Manning became, along with Brett Favre, one of only two starting quarterbacks in NFL history who have beaten all 32 teams. On October 5, 2014, Manning threw his 500th career touchdown pass to Julius Thomas against the Arizona Cardinals, and also tied Dan Marino for the most 400 yard games by a quarterback. On October 19, 2014, against the San Francisco 49ers, Manning threw his 509th career touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas, passing Brett Favre to become the NFL's all-time leader in passing touchdowns.

Merry Christmas Mr. Grinch.

His 39-12 record the last 3 years.......

Put it into perspective.  Those 12 losses were in the biggest of games (Super Bowl, AFC title game, vs Pats).

Peyton Manning might be the 4th greatest regular season QB of all time.

I'd rank Dan Marino, Dan Fouts and Fran Tarkenton ahead of Peyton as greatest regular season QB's of all time since Peyton won a SB.

Put it into perspective.  Those 12 losses were in the biggest of games (Super Bowl, AFC title game, vs Pats).

Peyton Manning might be the 4th greatest regular season QB of all time.

I'd rank Dan Marino, Dan Fouts and Fran Tarkenton ahead of Peyton as greatest regular season QB's of all time since Peyton won a SB.

You cant cherry pick wins and losses...You left out the AFC title win last year.

You also cant break a player down to 'regular season'..That's Skip Bayless stuff..

When you talk greatest ever you have to begin with Johnny Unitas

What do you expect him to say when asked about his future?  

The media storm would be unbearable if he proclaimed retirement.    He has to keep the status quo.   

But his arm isn't getting any stronger.    And he knows it better than anyone. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/24/peyton-manning-has-no-plans-to-retire-this-offseason/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=3289083&utm_source=FB%20-%20SNF%20on%20NBC&utm_tags=

From the link.
The Broncos quarterback said Wednesday that he planned on playing for the Broncos next year, assuming they want a 39-year-old quarterback.

“I certainly plan on being back if the Broncos will have me,” Manning said, via Mike Klis of the Denver Post. “At this point I’m thinking about Oakland. I know this is the time when there are conversations about what coaches are going to return.

We've seen a drastic decline in Peyton's performance (arm strength, accuracy, durability) in such a quick time frame, we're talking from the Rams loss onward.  Maybe as far back to the Patriots loss.

It was so bad that the Broncos organization had to almost completely rearrange and adjust the Broncos offense from a up tempo passing game to a run game control the clock offense even taking a huge gamble by bringing in controversial player Richie Incognito.

The Broncos' organization might not be putting out honest info on Manning's health.  During the Chargers game they claimed he had the flu and needed an IV or was dehydrated and had a thigh/leg injury before the Bengals game.

If the Broncos couldn't win the Super Bowl last year with the greatest offense in the history of the NFL and look to be sputtering now with a better defense and an aging QB who's declining pretty quickly, then what do you expect the Broncos to accomplish next season if Peyton comes back?  They'll most likely be a 10-6 team at best.  And the drop off in performance for an NFL player is drastic, it's like the "Ed Reed effect."  So if Peyton comes back next season I see a player who's a shell of himself.

So if Peyton does come back I just believe it's to pad his stats and it's partly due to Brady.  I think it's more about not wanting to ever see Brady ever pass him in certain categories (TD's, yards, completions, etc).

I hope Peyton doesn't pull a Brett Favre and tarnish his legacy by hanging around too long and making a fool out of himself.

Montana >>> Unitas.

Montana was a system QB in one of the greatest organizations in the history of the NFL with Bill Walsh's masterful West Coast Offense.  49ers had an awesome defense too. The 49ers 1989 team might have been the most complete team in NFL history.  Don't forget Jerry Rice made Montana who he is too.  Jerry Rice proved he could be an elite WR with multiple QB's (Montana, Young, Gannon) through out his 20 year career...

In 2007, ESPN.com's Page 2 ranked the 1989 49ers as the greatest team in Super Bowl history...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_San_Francisco_49ers_season

Will Colt fans be consistent , please?

Any time a Patriots fan mentions Brady's record (which is much better than Manning's), we are always told by Colts fans that it's a team game.

Then you pull out a post like this...

Wow.. VL...that's telling...why is a comment about Manning seen through Patriot eyes?

Its not about Tom Brady or the Patriots or the Colts.

Its about Manning retiring from the Broncos...when should he go..when will he go. 39-12..(and 11-4) means he'd not leaving

Tom Brady has nothing to do with Peyton Manning, does he?

Wow.. VL...that's telling...why is a comment about Manning seen through Patriot eyes?

Its not about Tom Brady or the Patriots or the Colts.

Its about Manning retiring from the Broncos...when should he go..when will he go. 39-12..(and 11-4) means he'd not leaving

Tom Brady has nothing to do with Peyton Manning, does he?

Thanks for not responding to my point. Wins apparently only matter to Peyton's status.