Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long do you see the Manning-Brady rivalry continue?

coltkingABC

lol @ thinking it's 2007. How old was Brady when the Pats had Cassell and Hoyer? It's 2014/15. Brady will be 38 before the start of next season.

You're living in the past based on past accomplishments.

There is a 0% chance that Jimmy G will start next season over s healthy TFB.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol. The offense has been Brady's for the last 13 years. There is no offense for Jimmy. They drafted him because he can play in Brady's offense. Same as Cassell, Hoyer, etc ...

The only reason I'd be inclined to disagree is because Bill Belichick thinks of football as a business. He has no loyalty to his players, including the most fan-favorite players, and veterans. Off the top of my head, three players I'm recalling are:

Randy Moss:

In the week leading up to the Patriots' 2010 season opener against the Bengals, Moss, who was entering the final year of his contract told CBS Sports that he "did not feel wanted" in New England absent a contract extension offer. The Boston Herald reported weeks later that Moss requested a trade following the game.

Richard Seymour

On September 6, 2009, the Patriots traded Seymour, who was entering the final year of his contract, to the Oakland Raiders for a first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Seymour refused to report to the Raiders in the days following the trade, reportedly unhappy about being traded to the team.

Tedy Bruschi

One writer speculated that Bruschi retired from the Patriots in the 2009 preseason, rather than being cut/released by coach Bill Belichick before the 2009 season.

Don't be surprised if Tom Brady gets traded or gets left out. He will either be consigned to:

a.) Being traded.

b.) Forced to "retire" rather than avoid embarrassment of being cut/released.

The only reason I'd be inclined to disagree is because Bill Belichick thinks of football as a business. He has no loyalty to his players, including the most fan-favorite players, and veterans. Off the top of my head, three players I'm recalling are:

Randy Moss:

In the week leading up to the Patriots' 2010 season opener against the Bengals, Moss, who was entering the final year of his contract told CBS Sports that he "did not feel wanted" in New England absent a contract extension offer. The Boston Herald reported weeks later that Moss requested a trade following the game.

Richard Seymour

On September 6, 2009, the Patriots traded Seymour, who was entering the final year of his contract, to the Oakland Raiders for a first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Seymour refused to report to the Raiders in the days following the trade, reportedly unhappy about being traded to the team.

Tedy Bruschi

One writer speculated that Bruschi retired from the Patriots in the 2009 preseason, rather than being cut/released by coach Bill Belichick before the 2009 season.

Don't be surprised if Tom Brady gets traded or gets left out. He will either be consigned to:

a.) Being traded.

BINGO!  Also Robert Kraft and his son are business men first.  They aren't loyal to anyone.  They set a price on a player and they don't really budge.

And you forgot...

Lawyer Milloy

Ty Law

Asante Samuel

Randall Gay

Mike Vrabel

Wes Welker

Logan Mankins

etc

etc

Mike Vrabel made a little joke about "Patriots Place" at Gillette Stadium.  He was gone soon after that.

lol @ anyone thinking Brady will play for $7 mil a year when Jay Cutler makes over $20 mil a year.  Sure.

Revis next year will be more important to the Patriots than Brady will be.  The Revis' contract situation SHOULD be a higher priority among the Patriots' organization than Brady's.  I also personally want Revis on the Pats more than Brady for the 2015 season.

How long do you see Tom Brady and Peyton Manning facing each other in the AFC playoffs for the next 2-3 years, or do you see either one of them retiring by 2020? Quarterbacks can play as long as their healthy, and it seems that both Brady and Manning's window of winning a Super Bowl is closing. Thoughts?

You watch ESPN and the NFL network. The Manning-Brady rivalry will be hyped to the skies as long as they both play..which should be 2015 and 2016 at least..

...Brady and Manning have young skill position players...there is a little age on both defenses..

..but the 'window' for winning for NE and Denver is wide open and will be for as long as they figure to play

Randy Moss:

Richard Seymour

Tedy Bruschi

a.) Being traded.

ROFL

Bruschi.

Matt Light

Troy Brown

Among many others .

Never mind that BB often gives out top contracts :

Mankins

Law

Brady

Moss

Gronk

etc.

ROFL

Bruschi.

Matt Light

Troy Brown

Among many others .

Never mind that BB often gives out top contracts :

Mankins

Law

Brady

Moss

Gronk

etc.

lol 

I love the part: "Never mind that BB often gives out top contracts."

And most those players were gone before their contracts were up.  And the Pats will NOT keep Gronk till he retires.  They'll get 4 to 5 more years out of him then he's gone.

Ty Law didn't have kind words for the Pats when he left.  lol

To even bring up those players destroys your own logic.  lol @ Moss.  He was traded.

Oh, Dan Koppen.

lol @ Brady having a "top contract."  They suckered the guy to take a pay cut giving him the impression they'll have room to resign Welker.  Welker goes to Denver.  The Pats are setting themselves up for major contract disputes over that contract.  To think Brady will play for $7 mil a year while Jay Cutler plays for $20+ mil a year is ridiculous.

In a financial stand point the worst thing for the Pats is if they win the Super Bowl.  Then Brady will NOT be playing for $7 mil a year next season.

Have you broken out the egg nog already, my man?

Seriously, Revis is not the MVP of the Pats..

New England isn't a playoff team without Tom Brady

Wrong.  Revis is the MVP.

And yes, Jimmy G could have brought this team into the playoffs.

If Revis was in the secondary for the Pats in the two super bowls (2007, 2011) the Pats would have won I bet.

And Revis will be 30 next year.  Brady 38.  You don't seem to understand how fast player's decline as they get older.  It's actually a bigger gamble to resign Brady at 38 than it is to resign Revis at 30.

If Revis was in the secondary for the Pats in the two super bowls (2007, 2011) the Pats would have won I bet.

And Revis will be 30 next year.  Brady 38.  You don't seem to understand how fast player's decline as they get older.  It's actually a bigger gamble to resign Brady at 38 than it is to resign Revis at 30.

Revis has made an impact no doubt but Pats might still be struggling on offense had Gronk not returned to his usual form....which I expected he would at some point......He should be the MVP of that team this year 

My gut says that if Denver falls short this season....Peyton retires.

And I'll go a step further.... 

If New England beats them and represents the AFC...and then wins the Super Bowl....I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Brady takes his 4th ring and retires as well.

Take a step back..

There is absolutely no chance of Tom Brady retiring after this year.

Take a step back..

There is absolutely no chance of Tom Brady retiring after this year.

Probably not....but if they win another Super Bowl the 4 rings would pull him even with Montana and Bradshaw, which absolutely buries that part of the rivalry with Manning....him and the wife have a zillion bucks and young kids....and he has his health. 

I just wouldn't be surprised if he decided to leave on top, that's all.

lol

I love the part: "Never mind that BB often gives out top contracts."

And most those players were gone before their contracts were up. And the Pats will NOT keep Gronk till he retires. They'll get 4 to 5 more years out of him then he's gone.

Ty Law didn't have kind words for the Pats when he left. lol

To even bring up those players destroys your own logic. lol @ Moss. He was traded.

Oh, Dan Koppen.

lol @ Brady having a "top contract." They suckered the guy to take a pay cut giving him the impression they'll have room to resign Welker. Welker goes to Denver. The Pats are setting themselves up for major contract disputes over that contract. To think Brady will play for $7 mil a year while Jay Cutler plays for $20+ mil a year is ridiculous.

In a financial stand point the worst thing for the Pats is if they win the Super Bowl. Then Brady will NOT be playing for $7 mil a year next season.

Says the faux Pats fan.

Lol

You didn't disprove one of my players listed. How frequently does ANY NFL player play out their contract?

Probably not....but if they win another Super Bowl the 4 rings would pull him even with Montana and Bradshaw, which absolutely buries that part of the rivalry with Manning....him and the wife have a zillion bucks and young kids....and he has his health. 

I just wouldn't be surprised if he decided to leave on top, that's all.

I would....From what I know of him....results wont affect his playing..

I dont think he's counting 'rings' or worried about his rivalries...and he does not strike me as a player who would quit until he absolutely has to. He had a wife and his health and a zillion bucks last year..and the year before..

You and I both would be shocked if Tom Brady announce his retirement... in 2015...

I would....From what I know of him....results wont affect his playing..

I dont think he's counting 'rings' or worried about his rivalries...and he does not strike me as a player who would quit until he absolutely has to. He had a wife and his health and a zillion bucks last year..and the year before..

You and I both would be shocked if Tom Brady announce his retirement... in 2015...

Shocked?

I'll let you in on something.

Nothing in sports along the lines of a player deciding to retire is going to shock me. It's someone else's business and it just doesn't rise to that level for me.

Randy Moss:

Richard Seymour

Tedy Bruschi

a.) Being traded.

I would be inclined to agree with you EXCEPT for all the Patriot players that have retired as Patriots - Kevin Faulk, Troy Brown, Teddy Bruschi who retired because he could not play anymore. If he could, he would have signed somewhere else. And how about big Vince? He just signed a three year extension at age 34.

This notion that Bill gets rid of everyone is ridiculous. He is a smart football person and GM and will move on from an aging or declining player quicker than most but Brady's extension he signed two years ago suggest that the two sides not only recognized the inevitable of the end of Brady's career approaching but did something about it when he was 35 so he could remain a Patriot. That being said, anything could happen. Brady's performance could suddenly decline as we have seen with Manning this season. The only think I am challenging is that Brady will be gone next season. I believe he has at least two seasons left and will finish out his new contract or come close to it. He said he wants to play until he is 45. I am certain that he will not play until that age with the Patriots unless this diet that he is on really is the fountain of youth. lol.

Stop. Please. Already. No corner is the MVP of any team. Sorry to break it to you. 

Jimmy would have been crushed this season under the weight of competition the Pats faced. He is a rookie and would have looked like it.

Both Brady and Revis are signed through next season in case you missed it ....

Stop. Please. Already. No corner is the MVP of any team. Sorry to break it to you.

Jimmy would have been crushed this season under the weight of competition the Pats faced. He is a rookie and would have looked like it.

the pats aren't going to pay revis the number they owe him next year. He will get a new deal before the season starts

You're quite ignorant of Revis' contract situation.  If Revis plays under his current contract it's $20 million for next year in one season.  That's $6 million more a season than Richard Sherman's and Patrick Peterson's record breaking deal for the Seahawks and Cardinals.  So Revis will be making as much as Jay Cutler's record breaking contract for a QB?  LOL  I don't think so.  Revis won't be playing with the Patriots for that if he and the Pats don't reach a new long term deal.

Robert Kraft's son was interviewed on Boston radio a few weeks ago and he wouldn't commit to Revis coming back next year under his current contract.

Revis will be looking for top CB money.  He'll want Richard Sherman/Patrick Peterson type money...

Richard Sherman signed a four-year $57.4 million contract extension.  (Around $14 mil a year).

Patrick Peterson signed a five-year contract extension with the Cardinals worth $70 million with $48 million guaranteed and a $15.3 million signing bonus <<<<<A record breaking contract for CB's.

So if Revis does come back with the Pats next season they'd have to agree on a 4 to 5 year deal worth $14 to $15 mil a year with around $45 to $50 million guaranteed.

You're quite ignorant of Revis' contract situation.  If Revis plays under his current contract it's $20 million for next year in one season.  That's $6 million more a season than Richard Sherman's and Patrick Peterson's record breaking deal for the Seahawks and Cardinals.  So Revis will be making as much as Jay Cutler's record breaking contract for a QB?  LOL  I don't think so.  Revis won't be playing with the Patriots for that if he and the Pats don't reach a new long term deal.

Robert Kraft's son was interviewed on Boston radio a few weeks ago and he wouldn't commit to Revis coming back next year under his current contract.

Revis will be looking for top CB money.  He'll want Richard Sherman/Patrick Peterson type money...

Richard Sherman signed a four-year $57.4 million contract extension.  (Around $14 mil a year).

Patrick Peterson signed a five-year contract extension with the Cardinals worth $70 million with $48 million guaranteed and a $15.3 million signing bonus <<<<<A record breaking contract for CB's.

So if Revis does come back with the Pats next season they'd have to agree on a 4 to 5 year deal worth $14 to $15 mil a year with around $45 to $50 million guaranteed.

Yes, Yes, Yes. And this is why the following statement you made is RIDICULOUS: "And Revis will be 30 next year.  Brady 38.  You don't seem to understand how fast player's decline as they get older.  It's actually a bigger gamble to resign Brady at 38 than it is to resign Revis at 30."

Brady is under contract for $7 mil. Revis for $20. So thank you for refuting your own point. Knew you would.

Brady is under contract for 7, 8 ,9 mil the next three seasons. Revis deal is for $20 mil next year. Might want to rethink that statement ....

Yes, Yes, Yes. And this is why the following statement you made is RIDICULOUS: "And Revis will be 30 next year.  Brady 38.  You don't seem to understand how fast player's decline as they get older.  It's actually a bigger gamble to resign Brady at 38 than it is to resign Revis at 30."

Brady is under contract for $7 mil. Revis for $20. So thank you for refuting your own point. Knew you would.

Patriots can't afford Revis' $20 mil a year contract next year.  Robert Kraft's son reiterated this on Felger & Mazz before the Chargers game.

Brady won't be playing for $7 mil next season.  :-)

You're full of wishful thinking all based on emotion thinking the stars align perfectly for the Pats i.e. thinking Brady will play for $7 mil, Revis will be getting paid $20 mil etc.  lol  Revis isn't a company man.

Brady is under contract for 7, 8 ,9 mil the next three seasons. Revis deal is for $20 mil next year. Might want to rethink that statement ....

They won't be able to afford to keep Revis for $20 mil next year regardless of Brady's contract, especially if they want to resign McCourty, Gostkowski and all the other free agents.  Robert Kraft's son reiterated this on Felger & Mazz before the Chargers game and decisions will have to be made.

Patriots' 2015 free agents and their cap hit...

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/new-england-patriots/

This also was examined by Tom E. Curran on Quick Slants.

Brady looks like he could go for a few more years.  Manning is only about a year older but he looks much older than that when he plays.  His physical skills are deteriorating and he's getting by mostly on his ability to read defenses and make timing throws.  If a defense can disrupt the WRs timing and the pass rush can consistently force Manning off his spot he doesn't have the arm strength these days to make the downfield throws into tight windows.  That's what Seattle did in the Super Bowl and his arm looks even weaker now.  He can still rack up numbers against mediocre defenses but I don't think he can be counted on to carry the offense against against top defenses anymore. I think Fox and Elway know that which is why they are trying to get a more balanced offensive attack going.  This year could be his last legit shot at another ring.

Brady looks like he could go for a few more years.  Manning is only about a year older but he looks much older than that when he plays.  His physical skills are deteriorating and he's getting by mostly on his ability to read defenses and make timing throws.  If a defense can disrupt the WRs timing and the pass rush can consistently force Manning off his spot he doesn't have the arm strength these days to make the downfield throws into tight windows.  That's what Seattle did in the Super Bowl and his arm looks even weaker now.  He can still rack up numbers against mediocre defenses but I don't think he can be counted on to carry the offense against against top defenses anymore. I think Fox and Elway know that which is why they are trying to get a more balanced offensive attack going.  This year could be his last legit shot at another ring.

When you compare the Jets/Pats game vs the Bengals/Broncos game I think the Pats offense and Brady looked worse.  We saw what happened when a horrible 2-12 Jets team did to Brady.  Brady threw an INT in the 4th.  Only reason why the Jets didn't kick a FG to win the game was Geno Smith was sacked and the field goal was blocked.

Brady is worse under pressure than Peyton is.

So Brady is getting too much a free pass while people are hammering Peyton too much.  I think Peyton has more of an excuse to struggle (flu, dehydration IV, thigh/leg injury).

Patriots can't afford Revis' $20 mil a year contract next year.  Robert Kraft's son reiterated this on Felger & Mazz before the Chargers game.

Brady won't be playing for $7 mil next season.  :-)

You're full of wishful thinking all based on emotion thinking the stars align perfectly for the Pats i.e. thinking Brady will play for $7 mil, Revis will be getting paid $20 mil etc.  lol  Revis isn't a company man.

Nice way to deflect and not respond to the actual point YOU made that the Pats should pay Revis $20 mil because he is 30 and not pay Brady $7mil because he is 38.

They won't be able to afford to keep Revis for $20 mil next year regardless of Brady's contract, especially if they want to resign McCourty, Gostkowski and all the other free agents.  Robert Kraft's son reiterated this on Felger & Mazz before the Chargers game and decisions will have to be made.

Patriots' 2015 free agents and their cap hit...

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/new-england-patriots/

This also was examined by Tom E. Curran on Quick Slants.

I am well aware which is why your comment that they should sign Revis over Brady is plain silly ...

When you compare the Jets/Pats game vs the Bengals/Broncos game I think the Pats offense and Brady looked worse.  We saw what happened when a horrible 2-12 Jets team did to Brady.  Brady threw an INT in the 4th.  Only reason why the Jets didn't kick a FG to win the game was Geno Smith was sacked and the field goal was blocked.

Brady is worse under pressure than Peyton is.

So Brady is getting too much a free pass while people are hammering Peyton too much.  I think Peyton has more of an excuse to struggle (flu, dehydration IV, thigh/leg injury).

How is throwing one pick vs 4 picks including a pick six worse?