Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cleveland's pass D is no joke

PeterBowman

Yep, I said in a previous post earlier this week that the Browns hold opposing qbs to the lowest qb rating of any team and also get the most INT's. Luck almost managed to get 300 yards against them though. 3 total tds and two INT's isn't horrible against this Browns def. He played like a champ.

Yep. Their push down the middle is what causes it. They play athletic DL everywhere that contain the edges (example being Herron was ready to go outside the tackles and was tackled outside by a DL easier than I thought) and push the pocket too vs the pass.

The Colts got Harrison at center because he suits their between the tackles blocking schemes for the run game (at least my understanding) but when Shipley was there, he held the middle up better in pass protection and we got 2 scoring drives that resulted in TDs.

If the Browns get a QB they are going to be a playoff team. I don't think Hoyer or Manziel is the answer. Although I'm glad Hoyer started yesterday.

The first game, when you don't have much film on the tendencies, it would have been harder to play Manziel, IMO. Just like Terrelle Pryor and Russell Wilson last year and with the way the Browns' D was playing, he would have gotten some first downs on his legs outside the tackles to prolong drives for an extra couple of FGs at least, I feel. That could have made the difference the way we were turning over the ball. If our O was not turning it over, Hoyer/Manziel and the Browns did not stand a chance, IMO.

The first game, when you don't have much film on the tendencies, it would have been harder to play Manziel, IMO. Just like Terrelle Pryor and Russell Wilson last year and with the way the Browns' D was playing, he would have gotten some first downs on his legs outside the tackles to prolong drives for an extra couple of FGs at least, I feel. That could have made the difference the way we were turning over the ball. If our O was not turning it over, Hoyer/Manziel and the Browns did not stand a chance, IMO.

Yeah Chad, I agree. With the way the Browns defense played and with all our TO's I believe Manziel could have made enough plays to win.

The truth is we played our second worst game of the year other than the Pitt game and we still pulled out a win on the road!

The Brown's D played like it was their Super Bowl.

yeah the yapping trent and Cribbs did this week probably didn't help that. Also in some ways it was, losing that game makes it extremely difficult for them to make the playoffs. Ugly or not winning games like this, on the road, in December, against a desperate team, when you aren't playing your best, is a very good sign. It means the Colts are learning to win big games that matter. It's harder than most think, just look at the Cowboys record in December with Romo.

Get ready we will see the samething from the Texans this week, but at least it's at home.

yeah the yapping trent and Cribbs did this week probably didn't help that. Also in some ways it was, losing that game makes it extremely difficult for them to make the playoffs. Ugly or not winning games like this, on the road, in December, against a desperate team, when you aren't playing your best, is a very good sign. It means the Colts are learning to win big games that matter. It's harder than most think, just look at the Cowboys record in December with Romo.

Get ready we will see the samething from the Texans this week, but at least it's at home.

Yeah I expect the best the Texans can throw at us, been dreading it all year. Just hope we don't have any injuries that will hurt us in the playoffs.

It wouldn't hurt, through play design, to get Luck a few more high percentage throws.  You want to stay aggressive.  You want the big plays, but the completion % is going in the wrong direction.  A few more dumpoffs and screens to backs - give it to Boom and let him run with it.  Just slightly more dinking and dunking with quick passing and drive starting plays.  Tone it down a hair without altering what you do. 

Yep. Their push down the middle is what causes it. They play athletic DL everywhere that contain the edges (example being Herron was ready to go outside the tackles and was tackled outside by a DL easier than I thought) and push the pocket too vs the pass.

The Colts got Harrison at center because he suits their between the tackles blocking schemes for the run game (at least my understanding) but when Shipley was there, he held the middle up better in pass protection and we got 2 scoring drives that resulted in TDs.

colts need better center and rg, lucky  rt.