Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Finalist For The Heisman

http://espn.go.com/c...-heisman-trophy

Please feel free to move this if it should go some place else.

With two SEC players there and Luck being the only west coast guy I think it's his to lose.

Look at this from a draft stand point if he comes out and we moved back I wouldn't mind having Tyrann Mathieu

Well Montee Ball RB from Wisconsin has pretty good stats also and you never know what will happen.

Well Montee Ball RB from Wisconsin has pretty good stats also and you never know what will happen.

Yes he did but he was a late comer to the party, I think since Luck's name has been out there it was really his award to lose all year long. I think it's interesting Barkley didn't get an invite (maybe he couldn't because of the trouble USC is in) but the Mathieu kid did. Don't get me wrong I think Mathieu is a heck of a player but I just hadn't heard his name with the Heisman talk till this story came out.

With two SEC players there and Luck being the only west coast guy I think it's his to lose.

Look at this from a draft stand point if he comes out and we moved back I wouldn't mind having Tyrann Mathieu

You do realize that Mathieu is too young to be able to enter the draft this year, right? I mean i'm sure you've realized that he's not listed in any round of any mock draft and that its not because he's not good enough lol

You also realize, i hope, that Mathieu plays on the same LSU team as Claiborne...and is probably just as good as Claiborne if not better...and Claiborne is projected as a top 5-10 pick...

You do realize that Mathieu is too young to be able to enter the draft this year, right? I mean i'm sure you've realized that he's not listed in any round of any mock draft and that its not because he's not good enough lol

No I did not realize that becuase I am not a major follower of college football and believe it or not everyone spends time studying mock drafts in December. So are you done being a jerk now?

How important is the Heisman in terms of showing how good the player will be in the NFL? Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Troy Smith all won the Heisman, but were nowhere near the best player in their draft. I'm not sold on the importance of winning the Heisman. It's a great individual accomplishment, but as far as I'm concerned, means 0 for how good of a player the recipient will be in the NFL

No I did not realize that becuase I am not a major follower of college football and believe it or not everyone spends time studying mock drafts in December. So are you done being a jerk now?

I wasnt trying to be a jerk...i just assumed that you didnt have to be a big follower of college football to know that the NFL doesnt allow players to enter the draft until they're old enough...and you're the one who said you'd like to have him on the team...so if you didnt realize he wasnt old enough, have you even watched any of his games, or did you simply decide that since he's on the heisman finalist list, that he must be good, so you want him on the team? lol

I also didnt mean that i or you should be reading every mock draft...but Lord knows that there are plenty of them on this site alone...and he's not on a single one of 'em ;)

How important is the Heisman in terms of showing how good the player will be in the NFL? Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Troy Smith all won the Heisman, but were nowhere near the best player in their draft. I'm not sold on the importance of winning the Heisman. It's a great individual accomplishment, but as far as I'm concerned, means 0 for how good of a player the recipient will be in the NFL

Not at all. It has nothing to do with the NFL just the best college player that year. Lots of times its just a player in the right system and not the most pro ready or even the most talented player. Big college honor, but just a conversation starter in the nfl.

Not at all. It has nothing to do with the NFL just the best college player that year. Lots of times its just a player in the right system and not the most pro ready or even the most talented player. Big college honor, but just a conversation starter in the nfl.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. You over the Grey Cup? Rough loss dude

I wasnt trying to be a jerk...i just assumed that you didnt have to be a big follower of college football to know that the NFL doesnt allow players to enter the draft until they're old enough...and you're the one who said you'd like to have him on the team...so if you didnt realize he wasnt old enough, have you even watched any of his games, or did you simply decide that since he's on the heisman finalist list, that he must be good, so you want him on the team? lol

I know how old you have to be in the NFL, what I didn't know was that the dude was sophomore. I did say I would like to have him on my team becuase the few times I've watched LSU this year he's made some big plays, sorry I don't study every player to see what year he is. Again that doesn't mean I knew he was a Sophomore, sorry that doesn't reach your expetations for me watching a game and thinking he was a good player. Glad to see the answer is no you weren't done trying to be a jerk though.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. You over the Grey Cup? Rough loss dude

Was until you reminded me haha. It was tough loss thats for sure. But they are young team that overachieved this year, they'll be back there soon i have no doubt. Good to see the CFL getting some more exposure though.

I see this coming down to Luck vs James... RG3 has Wright plus a good RB and a good defense. James has a good D but that's it. Richardson has a great overall team. Luck wins...

luck also has a great running game, o-line, and tight ends. its luck vs richardson vs rg3 at the end of the day. cant decide who will ultimately win. personally i think rg3 had the best overall season.

luck also has a great running game, o-line, and tight ends. its luck vs richardson vs rg3 at the end of the day. cant decide who will ultimately win. personally i think rg3 had the best overall season.

Great running game, good O-line but Martin struggled later in the season, and he had one good tight end, no good receivers. Owusu was okay. 1. Luck 2. Richardson 3. RG3

Was until you reminded me haha. It was tough loss thats for sure. But they are young team that overachieved this year, they'll be back there soon i have no doubt. Good to see the CFL getting some more exposure though.

haha sorry man. I really wanted to see Doug Brown win it. Swaggerville will be back next year....as will Calvillo

Certain sports commentators were talking about how Luck may not be the best player in the Draft anymore. The value of Luck has also diminished with how well Barkley and RGIII have been playing as of late. Their pick for the best player, in terms of impact, production, as well as the guy who should get the Heisman, was potentially Tyrann Mathieu of LSU, or Morris Claiborne - the latter of whom was left out of the discussion entirely, despite moving as high as #3 on some draft boards. While the former is ineligible (as far as I know), the latter would make an immediate impact, start for 10 years, and wouldn't come in with the hopes of being Aaron Rodgers one day.

Certain sports commentators were talking about how Luck may not be the best player in the Draft anymore. The value of Luck has also diminished with how well Barkley and RGIII have been playing as of late. Their pick for the best player, in terms of impact, production, as well as the guy who should get the Heisman, was potentially Tyrann Mathieu of LSU, or Morris Claiborne - the latter of whom was left out of the discussion entirely, despite moving as high as #3 on some draft boards. While the former is ineligible (as far as I know), the latter would make an immediate impact, start for 10 years, and wouldn't come in with the hopes of being Aaron Rodgers one day.

I think some of this has to do with the fact Luck was ranked so highly people are starting to nitpick him. In a lot of ways he had no chance of living up to the epxecations people had of him going into this year. WIth that said I would also agree that other players and namely QBs have been playing well recently and it's going to make this a very deep draft class.

Mathieu has a lot of potential but he's not in the same league yet as Claiborn in terms of playing the CB position. Mathieu is still very young and immature (he's been suspended a couple of times and had some pretty stupid penalties) but hopefully he'll grow out of that. Claiborn is a far superior CB at this stage. I believe Mathieu made it into the Heisman talks because he's also been an electric kick returner as well, a role that I believe he took over from Claiborn so as a returner I would say Mathieu has the advantage...but not as a CB and imo it's not even really all that close. That's not a knock on Mathieu though because he's still young.

Luck doesn't just have 1 TE, he has 3 NFL caliber TEs. Sure, Zach Ertz was hurt for a game or 2 but he's been there along with Levine Toilolo for the majority of the season and they both, along with Fleener, create mismatch nightmares for opposing defenses. And there's also the running game that averages over 200 yards per game so no, Luck is not playing without talent around him.

I have no idea who will win by personally I think I'd give the edge to Richardson.

I am surprised Barkley wasn't listed as a finalist and I have no doubt it's because of the BCS sanctions against USC. Not that the sanctions specifically prohibited him from winning the Heisman but because the fact that they're not bowl eligible took away some of the importance of his individual success in some people's minds. This doesn't make much sense to me but it's comparable to how you really don't ever see an NFL MVP come from a team who didn't make the playoffs.

I see this coming down to Luck vs James... RG3 has Wright plus a good RB and a good defense. James has a good D but that's it. Richardson has a great overall team. Luck wins...

Lying isn't a way to convince people of Andrew Luck. I would look up the stats about Baylor's defense and Stanford's defense, but as you did last time I completely destroyed your strength of schedule argument, you will ignore this one too...

Mod edit: refrain from personal shots

Edited by 21isSuperman