Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Odell Beckham with the catch of the year

buffalo34

"There is a humongous advantage to wearing the gloves of today. It's so big I cannot find another word that describes how much easier it is to catch with gloves than without. Frankly, anyone who's worn them for practice alone knows this. There's virtually no 'sting' to catching hundreds of balls one after the other. None. Then you have the adhesion properties. I'm telling you, it's hard to drop a pass when you use the appropriate technique."

If a NE Patriots player had made a similar catch against Detroit this week, would this point even matter? No. You either get the completion or you don't end of the story. Besides, if it's Nike official NFL gear, any player can wear the same gloves. This says more about eye/hand coordination on the move than an adhesive advantage to me. 

SW1 could put on the same gloves. That doesn't make me Odell Beckham or Cris Carter trust me.  :P

"There is a humongous advantage to wearing the gloves of today. It's so big I cannot find another word that describes how much easier it is to catch with gloves than without. Frankly, anyone who's worn them for practice alone knows this. There's virtually no 'sting' to catching hundreds of balls one after the other. None. Then you have the adhesion properties. I'm telling you, it's hard to drop a pass when you use the appropriate technique."

If a NE Patriots player had made a similar catch against Detroit this week, would this point even matter? No. You either get the completion or you don't end of the story. Besides, if it's Nike official NFL gear, any player can wear the same gloves. This says more about eye/hand coordination on the move than an adhesive advantage to me. 

SW1 could put on the same gloves. That doesn't make me Odell Beckham or Cris Carter trust me.  :P

I think we all have to realize that without the gloves the catch never happens. The ball does not stick to his hand like it did allowing him to bring it around his head and into this body.

Did you see in the article where all these spectacular one handed grabs have come since the gloves?

I think we all have to realize that without the gloves the catch never happens. The ball does not stick to his hand like it did allowing him to bring it around his head and into this body.

Did you see in the article where all these spectacular one handed grabs have come since the gloves?

And players wouldn't be able to become as big and strong as they do without the advances in nutritional science/training techniques, nor would they be able to run as fast in 1950's cleats or play the game as we know it on the fields of 30's say. 

Point being, sport evolves, it makes comparing eras hard but can you detract from the achievements of the modern era because their predecessors weren't playing on a level playing field so to speak?

Gloves or not... you try and get your body in that position to make the catch, I know how it would end up for me :P

0336225_l.jpg

And players wouldn't be able to become as big and strong as they do without the advances in nutritional science/training techniques, nor would they be able to run as fast in 1950's cleats or play the game as we know it on the fields of 30's say. 

Point being, sport evolves, it makes comparing eras hard but you detract from the achievements of the modern era because their predecessors weren't playing on a level playing field so to speak.

Gloves or not... you try and get your body in that position to make the catch, I know how it would end up for me :P

0336225_l.jpg

Love the graphic. haha  That would be me for sure.

Still a great,great play. But that ESPN story really detailed how there is basically adhesive in the gloves. To me that is borderline cheating. I am still amazed that players like Megatron drop as many balls as they do.

Still a great,great play. But that ESPN story really detailed how there is basically adhesive in the gloves. To me that is borderline cheating. I am still amazed that players like Megatron drop as many balls as they do.

If it's allowed in the rules then it's not cheating, now whether the league should outlaw them is a different debate. They got rid of Stick'um and if these gloves offer even better grip then maybe they do need looking at. Again though, technology is becoming more and more invasive into sport, either the rules are changed to account for it and ban it or you just have to accept it.

The interesting one for me will be when gene manipulation becomes widespread..

That was an insane catch, give the man some props. And i'm pretty sure with you being a Patriot fan, that you know all about cheating first hand.

The fact that Lions WR Megatron has dropped balls using the exact same gloves proves that athletic ability of a player means more than adhesiveness just like tires alone are no substitute for an experienced race car driver. Traction might assist in a victory but it won't guarantee it. 

If it's allowed in the rules then it's not cheating, 

Bingo SCC! I couldn't have said it better myself.  :thmup:

• 3 weeks later...