Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tebow Is The Real Deal. (Merge)

DILLIGAFER

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If y'all sit back the Broncos will kill you running the ball.

I think the Patriots will take their shots with some blitz and try to make opportunities. I agree, turnovers or equivalent will determine this game. These two teams played just a short time ago and it's going to be tight. Could see it going either way.

Well I was wrong about the turnovers (Pats had two, Broncos had one), but I was pretty much dead-on with the gameplan.

And that, folks, is why the option offense has not been used in the NFL for decades. Players are too fast and too smart for it to work consistently. The Broncos have a huge problem now. If it wasn't the Patriots, another team would have figured this out... like I just said, there's collective knowledge out there among coaches as to how to stop the option offense. When forced to throw and play a more conventional game, Tebow failed miserably.

And what do you do if he's your starter? If he comes out due to injury or poor play, doesn't that change pretty much everything you do? You're not going to ask Brady Quinn to run the option, so do you draft another running QB and stick with this offense? Or do you scrap it all and start over?

I'm still not sold on Tebow either way... he's only started 16 games for crying out loud. But like I said, there's no way the Broncos can be successful with that scheme moving forward. It's like flying a WWII prop plane against a modern-day fighter jet. It took a few weeks for the NFL to catch up (much like it did with the Wildcat, to give you another example), but like I said... there's a reason pro teams don't employ that offense. It. Does. Not. Work. At. The. NFL. Level. Period...

Well I was wrong about the turnovers (Pats had two, Broncos had one), but I was pretty much dead-on with the gameplan.

And that, folks, is why the option offense has not been used in the NFL for decades. Players are too fast and too smart for it to work consistently. The Broncos have a huge problem now. If it wasn't the Patriots, another team would have figured this out... like I just said, there's collective knowledge out there among coaches as to how to stop the option offense. When forced to throw and play a more conventional game, Tebow failed miserably.

And what do you do if he's your starter? If he comes out due to injury or poor play, doesn't that change pretty much everything you do? You're not going to ask Brady Quinn to run the option, so do you draft another running QB and stick with this offense? Or do you scrap it all and start over?

I'm still not sold on Tebow either way... he's only started 16 games for crying out loud. But like I said, there's no way the Broncos can be successful with that scheme moving forward. It's like flying a WWII prop plane against a modern-day fighter jet. It took a few weeks for the NFL to catch up (much like it did with the Wildcat, to give you another example), but like I said... there's a reason pro teams don't employ that offense. It. Does. Not. Work. At. The. NFL. Level. Period...

Yep, about as lopsided as a game can get y'all spanked em.

Wildcat, '88 Colts wishbone, Broncos option......good for a while but I think we all knew that plan wouldn't work for Denver long-term. Then again, there have been other ill-conceived concepts that have also failed (see 2011 Colts). I read an article, can't remember where, talking about how Denver might be able to run a two QB system like the Steelers did with Kordell Stewart before he became a better passer. Yet to be determined in Bronco land, of course. We'll see how Tim Tebow evolves, it's true he's new to the NFL. Will be interesting to see.

I'll give Tebow 1-2 years with full off-seasons to see if he can make the progress he needs. Football-wise he was drafted 2-3 rounds early so the hype got jacked up way further from that so I gotta cut him some slack.

As far as his expression of faith...that is his right and that is the free country we live in. He's a good guy, he's consistent and he helps people, so I like him.....but his QBing needs work. If I buy a cake from a baker who is a openly-devout Christian and a good guy, I still want the cake to taste good.

But i must admit....as an old-school Baltimore-era Colts fan, I am having a little bit of fun watching none other than John Elway being delivered a controversial and polarizing, hyper-hyped QB dilemma to deal with.

Ya reap what ya sow, Johnny! :lol:

Yep, about as lopsided as a game can get y'all spanked em.

Wildcat, '88 Colts wishbone, Broncos option......good for a while but I think we all knew that plan wouldn't work for Denver long-term. Then again, there have been other ill-conceived concepts that have also failed (see 2011 Colts). I read an article, can't remember where, talking about how Denver might be able to run a two QB system like the Steelers did with Kordell Stewart before he became a better passer. Yet to be determined in Bronco land, of course. We'll see how Tim Tebow evolves, it's true he's new to the NFL. Will be interesting to see.

Tebow is a great guy and all, lovable guy, but just not a good quarterback.

I'm actually pulling for Tebow to succeed in the NFL. I think he's a much better person than I am, he's a great teammate, and I'm not bothered by all the peripheral stuff. I can see how people hate the hype, but I'm at a loss as to why anyone would hate the man.

Did anyone catch the whole deal with this: http://mobile.boston.com/art/70/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/01/15/branch_gets_a_little_pushy_on_touchdown_play/?p=3

True perspective

On the sideline before the game, Denver quarterback Tim Tebow met with 20-year old Zack McLeod of Cambridge, who suffered a brain injury while playing football three years ago. Tebow meets with a young person with a medical hardship before each game through his foundation’s W15H program.

During his postgame press conference, after his season came to an end at the hands of the Patriots, Tebow showed some perspective. “It was still a good day,’’ he said. “I got to spend time with Zack McLeod and make him smile. I got to make a kid’s day.’’

I'm as cynical as the next guy but I believe he's genuinely that good of a person.

I wish him success.

I'm actually pulling for Tebow to succeed in the NFL. I think he's a much better person than I am, he's a great teammate, and I'm not bothered by all the peripheral stuff. I can see how people hate the hype, but I'm at a loss as to why anyone would hate the man.

Did anyone catch the whole deal with this: http://mobile.boston...hdown_play/?p=3

True perspective

On the sideline before the game, Denver quarterback Tim Tebow met with 20-year old Zack McLeod of Cambridge, who suffered a brain injury while playing football three years ago. Tebow meets with a young person with a medical hardship before each game through his foundation’s W15H program.

During his postgame press conference, after his season came to an end at the hands of the Patriots, Tebow showed some perspective. “It was still a good day,’’ he said. “I got to spend time with Zack McLeod and make him smile. I got to make a kid’s day.’’

I'm as cynical as the next guy but I believe he's genuinely that good of a person.

I wish him success.

I'm pulling for him to succeed in the NFL as well, but equally as much in how he handles set-backs or a different direction exactly as you quoted hereinabove. As I said before it really doesn't matter if he plays no more games or has a prolific 10yr+ career. He's got other fish to catch and the NFL is simply one avenue at the present time & that's what counts most. Tim Tebow doesn't separate what he does from where his heart is.....and that's exactly correct. The problem presented for some folks not on the same page as Tim Tebow is one of understanding and differentiating. Folks can believe in Tim Tebow as a man at face value or his ability as a football player, same as they have a choice to believe in the One which Tim Tebow gives credit for all that he's able to do - it's an ages old question.

I'll give Tebow 1-2 years with full off-seasons to see if he can make the progress he needs. Football-wise he was drafted 2-3 rounds early so the hype got jacked up way further from that so I gotta cut him some slack.

As far as his expression of faith...that is his right and that is the free country we live in. He's a good guy, he's consistent and he helps people, so I like him.....but his QBing needs work. If I buy a cake from a baker who is a openly-devout Christian and a good guy, I still want the cake to taste good.

But i must admit....as an old-school Baltimore-era Colts fan, I am having a little bit of fun watching none other than John Elway being delivered a controversial and polarizing, hyper-hyped QB dilemma to deal with.

Ya reap what ya sow, Johnny! :lol:

Paco..is Tebow considered a 'good guy' because he's Christian..

If he thanked the Lord every 10 minutes but was Mormon or Muslim...

...would he be mentioned 143 time sin an hour on SportsCenter?

..or would he be harassed and cursed in every stadium?

Paco..is Tebow considered a 'good guy' because he's Christian..

If he thanked the Lord every 10 minutes but was Mormon or Muslim...

...would he be mentioned 143 time sin an hour on SportsCenter?

..or would he be harassed and cursed in every stadium?

Tebow is probably considered a good guy because his life is consistent with his beliefs, understanding that he's not a perfect person. And as he has said.... his drive for life on and off the field comes from his faith.

I guess I just don't see it as a problem... especially when there is a channel selector on my remote for when I don't want to watch things I don't like. We certainly can't deny the man his free speech.

Anyway....I just got off a 24-hour ban for tossing a grenade the other day so I probably oughta knock off the religion talk my friend. :)

Tebow is a great athlete. He is a very good football player. He is mediocre as a quarterback. He can't make all of the throws... yet. (maybe never, but John Elway is taking off the suit jacket to help see if he can help him learn). He's mobile, sometimes to the detriment of learning to stand in and going through the progressions. Elway himself had to learn this. Folks that never saw Elway play never saw how mobile he could be and how he had that drive to take off and do it on his own when things didn't look perfect. He was a winner, and it was however and whatever it takes. Later he became the quitessential pocket passer. Then, he won his super Bowls. When John looks in a mirror, he has to see a glimpse of Tebow in there as well, at times.

Tebow suffered rib,lung, and chest injuries during loss to pats.

I would guess that some of that comes from his constant head-first running. Which is funny to me because I thought he was a QB, not a RB. Personally I think the kid ain't got it, ain't never gonna have it and he should be exploring his options as a TE.

If Denver really does go with Tebow in 2012, than I'd have to think that it's got more to do with ticket sales than anything else.

I would guess that some of that comes from his constant head-first running. Which is funny to me because I thought he was a QB, not a RB. Personally I think the kid ain't got it, ain't never gonna have it and he should be exploring his options as a TE.

If Denver really does go with Tebow in 2012, than I'd have to think that it's got more to do with ticket sales than anything else.

Elway seems to think he got what it takes and just needs to polish his passing. Elway is going with him as the starting QB next season.

Not sure he can learn but we'll see...

that whole youtube on the defensive highlites was something...14 neg yard plays up to the Brady punt alone.

Elway seems to think he got what it takes and just needs to polish his passing. Elway is going with him as the starting QB next season.

Not sure he can learn but we'll see...

that whole youtube on the defensive highlites was something...14 neg yard plays up to the Brady punt alone.

Denial is the first stage of grieving. They paid too much for this kid and apparently they aren't willing to cut their losses yet.

Denial is the first stage of grieving. They paid too much for this kid and apparently they aren't willing to cut their losses yet.

For anyone holding this ^ view, let's see if sentiments are the same when the Manning parting of ways announcement is made (if it comes to that....and it may).

To the point I'd say 5 for 11.25M (1.62M in 2011) is a bargain for a long win streak and a playoff victory vs. PITT after the team was left for dead. By comparison close to home - Kerry Collins 2 for 14M, and so on.........

Just sayin

For anyone holding this ^ view, let's see if sentiments are the same when the Manning parting of ways announcement is made (if it comes to that....and it may).

To the point I'd say 5 for 11.25M (1.62M in 2011) is a bargain for a long win streak and a playoff victory vs. PITT after the team was left for dead. By comparison close to home - Kerry Collins 2 for 14M, and so on.........

Just sayin

Good points. I'd be more concerned about the value of the pick they used to select him having been wasted if he doesn't improve his passer skills dramatically, and he needs to do so fast.

Good points. I'd be more concerned about the value of the pick they used to select him having been wasted if he doesn't improve his passer skills dramatically, and he needs to do so fast.

Agree on the passer skills....otherwise he'll go the same route as some other memorable running QBs in the not too distant past. It'll be interesting to see how he'll be brought along with the full off season ahead and this year's experience under his belt.

At #25 overall in 2010 his rookie contract was reasonable.....especially under the light that he wasn't going to be the starter. Now, the Broncos have the pleasant upside figuring out if he'll be the long term QB solution or not. If he is, they got a steal. If he isn't, they can go a couple different routes with him including effective backup and/or change of pace like Kordell Stewart was in PITT before he became a better (although not great) passer.

Shoot, this year Jake Locker at #8 overall got 4 for 12M & Blaine Gabbert at #10 overall got 4 for 12M...so Tebow's contract value is pretty much in-line even within the new salary corrected CBA, especially considering Denver's turnaround this year with him under center vs. an "unproven" player coming out of college that may have zero NFL success.

Did they really pay too much? What about all the publicity, fans in seats, tv ratings and even 1 playoff win he's brought to the Broncos? The Broncos organization is still a business and it seems Tebow right now is doing a lot for their bottom line. It would be a pretty questionable financial decision to get rid of him or even bench him. The Colts will find they lose a lot more than a great QB on the field if Manning is no longer with the team.