Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unitaswestand

Why Jeff Fisher For Hc?

I know there are plenty of people who have been in favor of Jeff Fisher becoming the next Head Coach. Can I ask what that is based on? Looking at Fishers overall record with the Oilers/Titans, he was barely over a .500 as far as winning. So what is it about him that you feel would make him such a good fit? What would make him a better fit then say a guy like Brian Billick, who has about the same winning percentage, but he never had a QB in Baltimore.

When Steve Mcnair is by far the best QB he had to work with, and who he had to go against twice in the division it was an uphill climb. He would be a vast improvement of what we have in place at the moment. There are other good fits but Fisher would be one of the better ones, if he could co-exist with Father & Son Ego.

Even in their down years, for the most part they were competitive with the Colts, who was by far the class of the division. You don't keep a head coaching job in the NFL for 16 years without doing some things right...

When Steve Mcnair is by far the best QB he had to work with, and who he had to go against twice in the division it was an uphill climb. He would be a vast improvement of what we have in place at the moment. There are other good fits but Fisher would be one of the better ones, if he could co-exist with Father & Son Ego.

Even in their down years, for the most part they were competitive with the Colts, who was by far the class of the division. You don't keep a head coaching job in the NFL for 16 years without doing some things right...

All valid points. I don't think he's a bad coach. I think he's mediocre, and I think we could do A LOT better. People throw his name out every day like he's the best thing to ever hit the market, and to say the least, I disagree. No thank you to Jeff Fisher.

Marvin Lewis seems to have a permanent job for some reason...lol

Marvin Lewis seems to have a permanent job for some reason...lol

Lovie Smith is another. Mike Shanahan held on for a looong time longer than he should have in Denver. A lot of guys get a little more time than they should. Not knocking Jeff Fisher, I just don't think he's as good as people talk about him being.

Why Jeff Fisher/A New Head Coach (Assuming Peyton returns):

1. Mediocre or not, Jeff Fisher is a huge upgrade from Jim Caldwell. .500 in the NFL for Fisher, under .500 in the NCAA for Caldwell. While I don't blame Caldwell for this season being over, I do blame Caldwell for being winless.

2. Fisher or not, coaches need to change. Coyer's gone, great. Clyde can stay because the offense is on Peyton more than anyone else. There's no confidence in the coaching on defense so Coyer's gone. If there's no confidence in Caldwell, Caldwell should be gone and I really don't think there's a lot of confidence in Caldwell. The only thing I'm worried about it Peyton's relationship with Caldwell off the field which might play into Caldwell retaining his job.

Do I want a celebrity coach? I don't care. I just want a guy who doesn't have me thinking, "Is this guy really in charge or is Bill or Peyton the one pulling the strings?" I see Caldwell and I just don't know and there's a clear lack of confidence from the team in Caldwell even if the Colts have been professional and classy in handling it.

I wish that Peyton could become head coach and they draft Andrew Luck. That, in my opinion, would be the best move for the franchise because you keep Manning as a Colt AND you get Andrew Luck. Best of all, you get to have a great player (Luck) playing for one of the best QB of all time. And lets face it, besides defense, Manning has been coaching this team for a while with his play calling on the field. I know theres more that goes into it, but Jim Caldwell is not doing the job, and Manning is a leader and one of the best players to play the game. Jeff Fischer however, is a very strange choice, he is better than Caldwell but, he is not great by any means.

I wish that Peyton could become head coach and they draft Andrew Luck. That, in my opinion, would be the best move for the franchise because you keep Manning as a Colt AND you get Andrew Luck. Best of all, you get to have a great player (Luck) playing for one of the best QB of all time. And lets face it, besides defense, Manning has been coaching this team for a while with his play calling on the field. I know theres more that goes into it, but Jim Caldwell is not doing the job, and Manning is a leader and one of the best players to play the game. Jeff Fischer however, is a very strange choice, he is better than Caldwell but, he is not great by any means.

Peyton Manning will never make a good head coach. I doubt he even wants to coach.

Fisher would be better than Del Rio, although I would love to see Del Rio as a DC if he would take it. Any young assistants that are making rumbles that might be worth a crap? I am just not a big fan of getting a coach that has alot of experience and is more there to take a paycheck than prove themselves. I don't think Fisher really wants to coach any more.

He's turned teams that are below average skill wise and makes them into playoff teams... that's what makes a great coach. Eddie George also said (interview several years ago) that without Fisher he wouldn't have been the same player. He's just a great overall coach and a good player's coach. I would definitely not be upset seeing him walk in, but you don't find too many better guys than him.

maybe we can put him at defensive coordinator? Isnt he a defense guy? Please correct me if im wrong...

Why Jeff Fisher/A New Head Coach (Assuming Peyton returns):

1. Mediocre or not, Jeff Fisher is a huge upgrade from Jim Caldwell. .500 in the NFL for Fisher, under .500 in the NCAA for Caldwell. While I don't blame Caldwell for this season being over, I do blame Caldwell for being winless.

2. Fisher or not, coaches need to change. Coyer's gone, great. Clyde can stay because the offense is on Peyton more than anyone else. There's no confidence in the coaching on defense so Coyer's gone. If there's no confidence in Caldwell, Caldwell should be gone and I really don't think there's a lot of confidence in Caldwell. The only thing I'm worried about it Peyton's relationship with Caldwell off the field which might play into Caldwell retaining his job.

Do I want a celebrity coach? I don't care. I just want a guy who doesn't have me thinking, "Is this guy really in charge or is Bill or Peyton the one pulling the strings?" I see Caldwell and I just don't know and there's a clear lack of confidence from the team in Caldwell even if the Colts have been professional and classy in handling it.

Being better than Caldwell isn't a good enough reason to hire him.

Of the potentially available options who will probably be out there Jeff Fisher seems to be the best one and the best fit due to his familiarity with the division, etc. He has actually managed to be fairly competitive with some weaker Titan teams. He knows defense and shows a knack for creativity and thinking outside the box when needed. I also believe that he would love the opportunity to work with Peyton. The man just seems to have some life to him which would be a refreshing change.

I am not feeling Gruden (too offensive minded and not enough defense), Andy Reid (who will most likely be fired - can't seem to win when it counts), Spagnulo (who will most likely be fired - just doesn't do anything for me). Bill Cowher ( seems to not want to get back into coaching, loving the broadcast booth). Who else is out there? Jim Tressel?...meh probably would be in line with our front office sticking with the somewhat familiar which is what they always seem to do. Plus he is unproven at the pro level.

I also recall a few posters here suggest that we hire someone from the Green Bay staff. I also wouldn't mind that if one became available. I respect the way they do things over there.

maybe we can put him at defensive coordinator? Isnt he a defense guy? Please correct me if im wrong...

To be blunt, you have as good of as a chance as being hired as defensive coordinator as he does of taking a demotion to defensive coordinator. That simply is not going to happen. He'll turn to TV before he does that.

All valid points. I don't think he's a bad coach. I think he's mediocre, and I think we could do A LOT better. People throw his name out every day like he's the best thing to ever hit the market, and to say the least, I disagree. No thank you to Jeff Fisher.

Who do you think is better than Jeff Fisher that is available or would be willing to take the job?

no decent coach will take the indy job IF it comes open because of the polians and their meddling, don't know why bill doesn't just appoint himself head coach since he tells the coach who to play and what scheme to run anyway

Who do you think is better than Jeff Fisher that is available or would be willing to take the job?

Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher... All are better options than Jeff Fisher. I don't know how you determine whether anyone would be willing to take the job, but they've all spent many years as coaches, and all have expressed that they want to eventually go back to coaching. I don't see why they wouldn't at least be candidates. By the way, they all have their warts, to be sure. Still, if I had to choose between any of those three and Jeff Fisher, I'm not choosing Jeff Fisher. These are just the big name coaches that get floated out there for every job.

Among assistants and even college level coaches, there are several that I'd prefer to Jeff Fisher. Gregg Williams is a former head coach who has been an assistant for several years since his failure with the Bills. Worked under a ton of different head coaches. He was overly conservative with the Bills, partly because he had no quarterback, but is known as an aggressive defensive coordinator. His scheme and measured playcalling helped the Saints beat us in the Super Bowl. I wouldn't be surprised to see his name associated with the Jacksonville job, since he was a coordinator there under Del Rio.

Chuck Pagano is a long time Ravens defensive assistant, who has been the defensive coordinator this season. Mike Zimmer's name will doubtless be on a lot of people's minds this offseason. He's not high on my list ("rah-rah" coordinators are great; "rah-rah" head coaches run into problems, ask Todd Haley), but I'd rather him than Jeff Fisher. Mike Mularkey and Brian VanGorder from the Falcons are both really good candidates; I'd probably rank Mularkey higher than VanGorder.

Chip Kelly is a college guy who has turned the Oregon Ducks into a national title contender in three years. He's 33-6. They went to the title game last year after losing their starting quarterback before the season. Bob Stoops is also a good candidate, but I think he's trying to build a gigantic legacy in Oklahoma. Gary Patterson from TCU has a defensive background. Might not want to leave now that they're joining a major conference, but then again, he might want to get out before they start playing tougher competition every week. Chris Peterson from Boise State is 71-6, making mid-major money as a head coach. Might want to stay put, but he's definitely a good coach.

There are names out there. There are another dozen I could name We keep bringing up the same retreads over and over again. People have been advocating for Jeff Fisher for a year now. I honestly don't see the appeal, aside from the fact that he did a fundraiser in Tennesee wearing a Manning jersey.

I'd like to see us do the diligence in any coaching search we conduct, and that includes coordinators and other assistant positions that need to be filled. I liked Dungy, but we really didn't interview anyone else after 2001; Irsay wanted Dungy, and that was that. How do we know there was no one better? We didn't do ANY diligence when Dungy left, and we wound up with a coach that's in over his head. I'd like to see us treat the coaching search the way we treat the draft: scout as many possibilities as is reasonably possible, even if you think you already have your mind up, even if you don't think you'll be going in that direction, and make the best decision for the team. If we do that, I have no doubt we can do better than Jeff Fisher.

One thing I've noticed is how you see former head coaches working as coordinators on so many of the better teams - yet our coordinators don't seem to be in demand or when they're let go they don't distinguish themselves. I hope we lure a good HC and get some established coaches as OC, DC,STC.

As to Fisher, I always felt like he was the better coach when we had Dungy. We won the games, but we had the talent that they didn't (players).

As to Fisher, I always felt like he was the better coach when we had Dungy. We won the games, but we had the talent that they didn't (players).

Maybe, maybe not. But the only way that's relevant -- to me, at least -- is if your primary criteria for hiring a new coach is that he's better than Dungy. It's like people who keep saying "well he's better than Caldwell." So what? I want the best candidate to be selected. The benchmark should have nothing to do with whether he's better than one of our previous head coaches or our current head coach.

Because he did this!!!

Bet you'll never see Caldwell try that!

He would nt even know that is legal. Then he would call timeout and challenge it, but not know why.

One thing I've noticed is how you see former head coaches working as coordinators on so many of the better teams - yet our coordinators don't seem to be in demand or when they're let go they don't distinguish themselves. I hope we lure a good HC and get some established coaches as OC, DC,STC.

I think we intentionally hire every coach over 80 as assistants so nobody will want to take them.