Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Kyle Orton Come to Indy? [Merge]

GoGoColts

How about we dump both Painter and Orlovsky and pick up Orton? I suppose we should keep one of the hapless duo around for the rest of the season, but beyond that, Orton would probably be okay as a second string or third string (second for Manning, third for Manning/Luck)

Wishful thinking I know, but it does make you wonder.....

Unless we keep him as a career backup. He's only 29, so he has more life in him, he could be around for a while and help bring a little credibility, kind of like Sorgi did.

While he might find a starting job elsewhere, I don't think he's been consistent enough to be considered a starting QB that's going to lead a team to the promised land.

But who's going to back up our highly drafted QB? I certainly hope Painter is not the only option we have......Orton could ride 3rd string until Manning retires, then he backs up our yet to be named highly drafted QB.

A guy who can find a starting job as a QB isn't going to sign as a back up.

Heck bring him here for the rest of the season. I'd prefer some wins here this season.

Wins will only cause us to drop down the draft boards. We aren't making the playoffs, so there's no point, other than to avoid a 0-16 season, in which case we only need one win. Also, we already threw money at Collins, so someone in the Colts organization (whether it be players or personnel) is probably still unhappy with that decision.

How about we dump both Painter and Orlovsky and pick up Orton? I suppose we should keep one of the hapless duo around for the rest of the season, but beyond that, Orton would probably be okay as a second string or third string (second for Manning, third for Manning/Luck)

Wishful thinking I know, but it does make you wonder.....

No.....If you really do need a reason why we should not get him it's pretty simple. Look at our record. It's a bit late for a move like this...Orton also believe's he is a starter. I doubt he would want to even be here especially when he likely would sit behind manning and if we do draft Luck sit behind Manning and Luck....Why would he want that to happen?

But who's going to back up our highly drafted QB? I certainly hope Painter is not the only option we have......Orton could ride 3rd string until Manning retires, then he backs up our yet to be named highly drafted QB.

He pretty much has pointed out he doesn't want to be a backup...He believes he is a starter and on certain teams he's a very capable starter. He doesn't want to be a 2nd or 3rd string QB, so why would he want to come to Indy? His future would consist of holding a clipboard, which he doesn't want to do...

Wins will only cause us to drop down the draft boards. We aren't making the playoffs, so there's no point, other than to avoid a 0-16 season, in which case we only need one win. Also, we already threw money at Collins, so someone in the Colts organization (whether it be players or personnel) is probably still unhappy with that decision.

You would rather not see us win a couple game, but bank on drafting some kid out of college. Which in most cases come out to be a bust. If we had a smart office than we wouldn't need to bank on a terrible season for a high draft pick. New England wins and has good draft spot, sometimes even multiple first rounders. I am not against drafting Luck or any high pick. I have said before if we have the chance than take it. First and foremost get some wins.

I heard about this earlier this afternoon on the radio, and the first thought that ran through my head was "I hope Indy is looking into picking him up." That thought was immediately follwed by "No way, bad idea." If you want to guarantee we go 0-16 this year, a good way to make that happen would be to go out, get yet another quarterback, and have him start the next game. The team, for better or worse, is used to Painter at this point. If Orlovsky does take over as starter, then at least he's been with the team for a while. I think getting someone completely new and attempting to throw them into the system is a bad idea. I don't think there is any doubt that Orton will land with a team soon, however. There are a lot of starting QBs that have went down as of late.

Here's a gift....Denver released Kyle Orton and did us a favor..

Sign him to a contract for the rest of this year and next (once he clears waivers)

Even the Bears won offer that..

Not only is he better than what we have now..

He is a solid No.1 or No. 2 next year defending on what we need.

This could free us from the Andrew Luck decsion..and we can spend all our choices on 'D;'

Or...he could be No.3 if we end up with a healthly Manning and Luck..

Your thoughts..

He has to learn the offense, so he would only start at around Week 13 or 14. He can't be signed this week and play... He's pretty expensive too. Now going forward, Orton should never be the backup. He's useless, Luck is the better option going forward. We've all seen Orton, he's been terrible the last couple of years.

1) The Bears are apparently planning on putting a claim in

2) Other playoff teams will possible put in a claim as well.

3) No way he signs with us on the off chance no one puts a claim in for him

4) Keep him off the payroll and roll the cap savings into 2012 with the rest of the LTBE incentives.

He has to learn the offense, so he would only start at around Week 13 or 14. He can't be signed this week and play... He's pretty expensive too. Now going forward, Orton should never be the backup. He's useless, Luck is the better option going forward. We've all seen Orton, he's been terrible the last couple of years.

That's beyond wrong. He's been a regular 2 years in a row..20 TDs..3,500 yards each season

Kyle Orton is better than Orlovsky and Painter..I think you'd agree.

And he'd better than Luck next season if Manning, as some seem to hope, is finished..

Luck isnt going to step in any play immediately

...And a QB platoon of Manning, Luck and Orton..would cover all eventualities

I agree that I think Orton would be a good signing, regardless of the future. Whether next year the QB is Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, we need a better backup. Orton would fit that bill well, although he probably wouldn't be too thrilled with it. But he looks like Bert Jones compared to Curtis Painter

1) The Bears are apparently planning on putting a claim in

2) Other playoff teams will possible put in a claim as well.

3) No way he signs with us on the off chance no one puts a claim in for him

4) Keep him off the payroll and roll the cap savings into 2012 with the rest of the LTBE incentives.

Please re-read the part about signing him for this season AND next year..

the Bears wont give him that

That's beyond wrong. He's been a regular 2 years in a row..20 TDs..3,500 yards each season

Kyle Orton is better than Orlovsky and Painter..I think you'd agree.

And he'd better than Luck next season if Manning, as some seem to hope, is finished..

Luck isnt going to step in any play immediately

...And a QB platoon of Manning, Luck and Orton..would cover all eventualities

Going forward Luck is the better option. Manning, I guarrantee 100% and most people on this site agree that Manning is coming back. He wants to get back now, and he'll be fine once the fusion takes place. Manning is coming back, we can all agree on that. Kyle Orton is turning 30 soon, and he does not perform well with a weak line. With the Bears in the early part of his career, they had a good line (not anymore), and with the Broncos, he had a great line with Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper and Todd Hamilton (a couple of years ago). Going forward Andrew Luck is the better pick. Andrew Luck is the most pro ready QB, plus look at the impact players like Dalton and Newton have given. But that's only if Manning doesn't return, but he will. If Manning retires in 3 years, I would rather have a trained and ready Andrew Luck then a 32 year old Orton.

Going forward Luck is the better option. Manning, I guarrantee 100% and most people on this site agree that Manning is coming back. He wants to get back now, and he'll be fine once the fusion takes place. Manning is coming back, we can all agree on that. Kyle Orton is turning 30 soon, and he does not perform well with a weak line. With the Bears in the early part of his career, they had a good line (not anymore), and with the Broncos, he had a great line with Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper and Todd Hamilton (a couple of years ago). Going forward Andrew Luck is the better pick. Andrew Luck is the most pro ready QB, plus look at the impact players like Dalton and Newton have given. But that's only if Manning doesn't return, but he will. If Manning retires in 3 years, I would rather have a trained and ready Andrew Luck then a 32 year old Orton.

Again though..Andy

why is it either or??

Taking your assumption (from your lips to God's (or Tim Tebow's) ears that Manning will return to 2010 form...

I would not choose Luck but if Indy does....he'll be the future//

Orton..would be the back up in all scenarios: Manning starting. Luck starting. No Manning or Luck.

Lets face it Curtis Painter will not be with the Colts next year..

he's shown he cannot be an NFL Backup QB and win a game. Dan Orlovsky is just happy to be here.

We need 2 new QBs..

$2.5M for Orton to play maybe 5 games with us and then walk? I think not. Some team who is in need of a starting QB will get him next season. I don't think he's ready to be a full-time clipboard holder yet. We have Caldwell for that!

again..you sign him for this year AND next year.....so we dont have to go 0-16 next season, too

Kerry Collins cost us enough this year for us to shy away from another money mismanagement. Let things play out and go from there. Painter has just 1 more year left on his rookie contract in 2012 anyway, so we can draft a backup QB in 2013 and go from there even if Peyton does not come back and we draft a QB early in 2012.

It would have been a good idea for the Colts to give up a 3rd rounder for him early in the year. The Broncos are the losers, to be honest. They could have gotten a 3rd rounder from the Dolphins but they wanted a 2nd rounder, way too much for him. Maybe they would have done a deal with us when Peyton's situation was still uncertain in pre-season, who knows??? Now, they end up with nothing.

Kerry Collins cost us enough this year for us to shy away from another money mismanagement. Let things play out and go from there. Painter has just 1 more year left on his rookie contract in 2012 anyway, so we can draft a backup QB in 2013 and go from there even if Peyton does not come back and we draft a QB early in 2012.

You want Painter to back up Manning next year. Really?/

You want Painter to back up Manning next year. Really?/

Nope, I was one of the few who suggested drafting 2 QBs next year in the NFL Draft section. But of course, my idea was frowned upon :).

I am not an advocate of Painter being the backup to Manning next year but I believe management, as stubborn as they have been in the past, will keep Painter around to finish his rookie contract. So, it is not what I want to happen but what I think will happen :).

Nope, I was one of the few who suggested drafting 2 QBs next year in the NFL Draft section. But of course, my idea was frowned upon :).

I am not an advocate of Painter being the backup to Manning next year but I believe management, as stubborn as they have been in the past, will keep Painter around to finish his rookie contract. So, it is not what I want to happen but what I think will happen :).

We who have foresight are often shunned...Chad. B)

I would like that, maybe a 5th-6th round pick in a guy like Aaron Corp or Kellen Moore. Anyways, this is a Kyle Orton thread, so if you want to further discuss this, make a thread about it in the NFL Draft section, cause it's not a bad scenario.

again..you sign him for this year AND next year.....so we dont have to go 0-16 next season, too

$2.5M this year and I'm sure it would cost a lot more than that for next year. Orton is still a capable starter and he wouldn't sign, and take a huge paycut, to be a backup.