Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9/2 Roster Moves

HtownColt

Thanks for looking that up. It's pretty bad when mediocre or average looks good to us. Lol.

As Satele's numbers show, pressures don't tell the whole story. Especially for a center. But at guard, a lot of players are better than Meredith at pass protection. It looks like he's gonna be used at tackle for the Colts, which is probably a better use of his talent.

Thornton was 1/22, McGlynn was 1/19. Satele was 1/55, an elite number for any OL.

Long story short, pressures aren't conclusive. Just a piece of the puzzle.

I don't know the exact definition of what a football pressure is..and I`m certain you know what you are talking about..but are you sure? lol my eyeballs would have guessed more like a 1/3 ratio at best from the guards and center position  

I don't know the exact definition of what a football pressure is..and I`m certain you know what you are talking about..but are you sure? lol my eyeballs would have guessed more like a 1/3 ratio at best from the guards and center position  

These are PFF's numbers. Not grades, just charting. Pressures are subjective, but usually people who know what they're looking at come up with similar results.

As for pressure from the interior, the vast majority of plays are won by the blockers, not the defenders. I agree that we gave up a lot of pressure. According to PFF, 246 total pressures on 712 called pass plays, with varying degrees of severity, so just over a third, like you said. But it can seem worse than it really is. If you rewatch games with an eye on charting pressures, you realize how many plays go by with no significant pressure on the QB. That's true even of teams with bad protection. This is part of the reason I suggested in another thread that we should be more concerned with run blocking than pass blocking.

From what I have been reading it sounds like Louis could play at least RT if he had too.

Sounds like Nixon won't be ready to go as soon as Reitz if you are referring to Nixon to IR

If we didn't get Meredith, Chuck said that if one of the tackles got hurt, Mewhort would move to tackle and Louis would kick to a guard spot.

If we didn't get Meredith, Chuck said that if one of the tackles got hurt, Mewhort would move to tackle and Louis would kick to a guard spot.

I prefer this strategy. Let Mewhort stay at guard and get his feet under him. Hopefully our backup tackles don't do anything but walk around on the sidelines.

Meredith has played in 47 NFL games, including 24 starts.

How did you conclude that Fragel is better than him?    Especially since the team sent Fragel to the PS and Meredith to the 53.......

I watched two games of Bucs preseason and he was the worst O-lineman. 

That makes sense to me because I think Mewhort was drafted to take over at RT in 2016 when is Cherilus's 32 and due to make 7 M a year.

That makes sense to me because I think Mewhort was drafted to take over at RT in 2016 when is Cherilus's 32 and due to make 7 M a year.

That's an option but I think it more realistic we keep him a guard if he plays good and replace Cherilus with Ulrich John, Nixon or somebody else.

I don't know the exact definition of what a football pressure is..and I`m certain you know what you are talking about..but are you sure? lol my eyeballs would have guessed more like a 1/3 ratio at best from the guards and center position

Well, assuming they don't all occur on one play (and my math is right), that's still one pressure every ten drops JUST from the interior line. It may not be exaggerating as much as you think it is!

These are PFF's numbers. Not grades, just charting. Pressures are subjective, but usually people who know what they're looking at come up with similar results.

As for pressure from the interior, the vast majority of plays are won by the blockers, not the defenders. I agree that we gave up a lot of pressure. According to PFF, 246 total pressures on 712 called pass plays, with varying degrees of severity, so just over a third, like you said. But it can seem worse than it really is. If you rewatch games with an eye on charting pressures, you realize how many plays go by with no significant pressure on the QB. That's true even of teams with bad protection. This is part of the reason I suggested in another thread that we should be more concerned with run blocking than pass blocking.

Agreed 100% on your comment in the other thread on run blocking vs pass blocking. I actually was being over zealous when I said "1/3" just to drive home the point that it seems like Luck is ALWAYS under constant pressure in the pocket. As you stated better WR`s, everybody on the same page with the playbook should help with this along with I pray to be an upgraded Oline this year. Hopefully Pep got your message about "play action pass" :thmup:   

Maybe he is the guy out when we cut a player for Mathis to return. It would be about the time Reitz should be healed up. Or maybe Harrison is sent to the PS.

Or maybe he becomes our starting C because Holmes can't stay healthy.

It will all play out. I don't mind having Shipley back rumor has it he was working at G in Baltimore maybe he has improved and can provide quality back up at 3 spots. Harrison's lack of experience I'd be worried if I were him. Grig's doesn't like rookie C's or that is what he has said in the past.

Either way all good news healthy bodies behind a starting O Line that almost stayed in tact for opening day.

Rumours! Ya he started 7 games at guard in Baltimore do to injuries and stunk it up. He was beaten out as the starting center last season by a guy they replaced for this season.

Does AQ have the shortest arms (29ish) of any O-Lineman in the league? Not saying him with those stubbs wouldn`t be better than McGlynn at guard. I`d take McGlynn as a center over him.

Not that i get a vote of course. ;-)

My eye test from the combine drills and his play sees Mewhort as stiffer hipped and slower than Link was so if so, RT would be phugly.

Why it was rumoured he would have to move Inside in the NFL.? He is not a natural bend at the knees guy either so at 6'6" he should have trouble anchoring against the bigs.

His hip stiffness works against him in redirecting against good rushers and picking up blitzers. Lets hope his good reach, and monster hands are great at latching on. A work in progress, it would have been nice if he didn`t need to start so soon. Go Jack!