Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

alex smith signs a 4 year 68 mil

CR91

alex smith cant win you games unless he has a supporting cast. look at what happen when the chiefs defense started to get hurt. they went 2-5. chiefs didnt even beat anyone worth mentioning

Fine.........

But he can still win games in the NFL and not everyone can do that.

In case you haven't noticed few here seem to like any QB in the sub-$20 Mill range.

Not Smith,  not Cutler,  not Dalton....    and there are some who don't like Matt Ryan or Tony Romo or Colin Kaepernick, Heck, even Joe Flacco doesn't get much love here.

EVERYONE loves the Big Five (including Luck).....    OK...  well,  that's easy...   those guys are easy to love....

The point is just as there are tiers for ranking QB's,   there are tiers for pay scales.    And someone is going to get 17-19 Mil and someone is going to get 15-17 mil and so on.      These guys have to get paid.    And there aren't many better alternatives.

It's easy to sit back and say "this guy sucks...   the team was stupid to give him the money!"...    but no one has any idea as to what the team should do?     How do they get a better QB?      No one can answer that question.... 

They just sit back and complain about a good, but not great QB who's getting paid too much money in their opinion.....

It's happened since I joined....   I'm sure it happened long before I joined....   and I'm sure it will happen as long as this website exists....

It's easy to complain....   it's harder to come up with a better alternative...

Fine.........

But he can still win games in the NFL and not everyone can do that.

In case you haven't noticed few here seem to like any QB in the sub-$20 Mill range.

Not Smith,  not Cutler,  not Dalton....    and there are some who don't like Matt Ryan or Tony Romo or Colin Kaepernick, Heck, even Joe Flacco doesn't get much love here.

EVERYONE loves the Big Five (including Luck).....    OK...  well,  that's easy...   those guys are easy to love....

The point is just as there are tiers for ranking QB's,   there are tiers for pay scales.    And someone is going to get 17-19 Mil and someone is going to get 15-17 mil and so on.      These guys have to get paid.    And there aren't many better alternatives.

It's easy to sit back and say "this guy sucks...   the team was stupid to give him the money!"...    but no one has any idea as to what the team should do?     How do they get a better QB?      No one can answer that question.... 

They just sit back and complain about a good, but not great QB who's getting paid too much money in their opinion.....

It's happened since I joined....   I'm sure it happened long before I joined....   and I'm sure it will happen as long as this website exists....

It's easy to complain....   it's harder to come up with a better alternative...

honestly the inflation of the nfl has become ridiculous over the years where you got sub-par talent being paid what high caliber players were receiving 10 years ago

honestly the inflation of the nfl has become ridiculous over the years where you got sub-par talent being paid what high caliber players were receiving 10 years ago

When the salary cap goes up,  it takes everyone with it,  not just the stars.

The old saying is.....     "a rising tide lifts all boats..."

Some players may not be great,   but they're very good.   And some are good.    And some are above average.    And some are average.

They all have to get paid.     And sometimes the option to NOT paying them is viewed as worse than just paying them and be done with it.

It's the free market.    The ultimate decision is up to the owner/gm/coach....   if you don't sign your guy, then you either have to trade for a guy and make sure he's signed,  or draft a guy and hope he's the one.     Otherwise,  it's a long year for that team...

What can I tell you?

yea i think people forget Luck's agent is his own uncle. And Luck is no money hoarder or else you wouldnt see him with a flip phone and riding his bicycle to the Colts games (sarcasm)..

So the agent wont be all money hungry squeezing every penny out of the Colts. Plus then you restructure which we know Luck is willing to do for anybody on the team. Brady and Peyton do it...

yea i think people forget Luck's agent is his own uncle. And Luck is no money hoarder or else you wouldnt see him with a flip phone and riding his bicycle to the Colts games (sarcasm)..

So the agent wont be all money hungry squeezing every penny out of the Colts. Plus then you restructure which we know Luck is willing to do for anybody on the team. Brady and Peyton do it...

Don't expect us to get a discount from Luck's camp. That's unrealistic while He's this young.

Don't expect us to get a discount from Luck's camp. That's unrealistic while He's this young.

well yea, i know there wont be a discount but the negotiation will definitely will be alot smoother then other agents sucking up all the money.

But the good thing is that all the signings are going on now. And quite honestly, all the qbs that have been resigned have been wayyyy overpaid. Atleast its not now or luck would have to be the highest paid qb right now but even worse if he wins the super bowl this year. :)