Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Woody Paige: Broncos will Rout Colts

1959Colts

It's basically the same offensive line Denver had from last year I believe with the exception of Clady being in this time.  With our upgraded D Line I think they are going to command the double teams more frequently to allow us to pressure the pocket and stay in Peytons face.  That will give our secondary time to apply the coverage.  I think the plan from listening closely to Pagano for this game will be to play quite a bit of Cover 2.  I say this because Pagano kept saying "We got to make him go the long way and don't give up the easy stuff".  

To me you can best do that by keeping the safties deep.  The other thing I get from the statement is Pagano probably feels with our D line we should be pretty adequate at stopping Denvers running game which I don't respect that much.  If we can get that done(I think it's very doable) then we'll get them right where we want them.  The only thing that will stop that strategy is us allowing them to run the football.  I don't think we're going to let them do it personally....

I think we'll be pretty simple in our coverages for this game.  Should be similar to the way the Seahawks handled things in the Super Bowl.  I was listening to a show on NFL Network and Michael Robinson had stated Richard Sherman noticed the percentages of Peytons passes was less when throwing deep so in that game they just kept everything underneath and sat on the routes basically applying pressure on the pocket with their pass rushers.  I don't think Denvers offensive line is as good as it's made out to be, so I think we may be able to pressure just enough to make the game go the way we want.

Completely agree. Seattle also went with A LOT of nickel looks and I said from the get go Peyton would still force the issue against them, and he did. Now in no way am I saying we resemble Seattle, because we don't, but I would go the same route Seattle did and invite them to run the ball and see if Peyton actually commits to it or not. Had they not completely abandoned the run so early against Seattle, I think they would have been a little better off, but Peyton didn't try and take what the defense was giving him. It reminded me of the Steelers divisional game in 05'. Edge averaged ~5 yards a carry, while the Steelers are sitting 6+ in coverage, yet Peyton wants to keep chucking the ball around. Sometimes the guy is his own worst enemy, and that's what the Colts need to make him be. I believe they can and will...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this the ding ding that had crazy writings on a dry erase board behind him all the time?

That said, I don't believe Peyton has forgotten the loss at LOS by any means.

Yep, that's Woody alright. Always good for a laugh. Amusing & irrelevant just like Skip Bayless. "Like Pilgrim, the Colts are in for a world of hurt. They're about to get stampeded." What's a John Wayne reference have to do with a Sunday Night NFL game Woody? You lost me man...

I've watched Around the Horn a lot. Woody Paige is one of those analysts who loves to yell and tag exclamation points to his statements, because he wants those Around the Horn upvotes (if you've watched the show, you know what I'm talking about). He isn't going to get upvoted by saying boring statements. He values extravagance, fast talk, and controversy. Inevitably, he will say things that tick people off, but that's part of his gunslinger analytical style. That's why they keep having him back on Around the Horn, because the guy is a perfect fit.

Spot on evaluation of Woody Paige ReMeDy. He knows how to stir the pot. Will it affect the game's outcome? No, not 1 bit. 

Completely agree. Seattle also went with A LOT of nickel looks and I said from the get go Peyton would still force the issue against them, and he did. Now in no way am I saying we resemble Seattle, because we don't, but I would go the same route Seattle did and invite them to run the ball and see if Peyton actually commits to it or not. Had they not completely abandoned the run so early against Seattle, I think they would have been a little better off, but Peyton didn't try and take what the defense was giving him. It reminded me of the Steelers divisional game in 05'. Edge averaged ~5 yards a carry, while the Steelers are sitting 6+ in coverage, yet Peyton wants to keep chucking the ball around. Sometimes the guy is his own worst enemy, and that's what the Colts need to make him be. I believe they can and will...

Oooh you hit the nail on the head! It's like they never do anything to balance it out.  They(Colts and Broncos coaches collectively) keep giving him average running backs to work with and O lines that are not dominant.  He just stands there and chucks the ball all day long and piles up stats, but it comes back to haunt you at some point or the other.  I've been wondering that since we won the Super Bowl, sometimes it's like they look at what we did to get to and win the SB didn't even matter!  The year that we won the Super Bowl we were a really good running team on top of Peyton passing the ball and we rode that all the way to the top.  The running game is part of why we were able to complete that comeback against New England in the second half.  We came out and shoved it down their throats after having abandoned it!  Remember all those picks he threw in the 1st half?

Every year after that it's like we made very poor attempts to duplicate the formula.  We never made the running game a priority,  the offensive line and running backs got worse and worse every year it seemed like to me.  Each game for some reason they just had Peyton stand back there and throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball, and he's been doing that for a while now.  I just knew with John Fox there would be a lot more emphasis on the ground game, and don't get me wrong they've made some attempt at it, but I think they get so in awe at Peyton they just let him get in a groove and stand back.  Their version of a running game is standing in 5 wides and handing off to a scat back, but that is not a power running game where you can force the issue.  That style can get predictable and you're forced back in to a lot of passing.  Maybe they'll try to do more traditional running this year, but I'm not so confident that Ball is the guy.  I saw some other nice backs they had in the pre-season so maybe they'll work them in with him.

You just know it's only a matter of time before they abandon the running game.

You have an old WR playing on one leg and a young WR who disappears all of the time. Sanders would be out either of them to start on any team including the Broncos and the Colts. He also mentioned depth. That isn't close either. None of our backups would make the Bronco's roster. Wayne and TY might though.

You, our......what team exactly do you actually route for?? Please don't say the Colts because you put them down constantly. 

I actually like Woody Paige. He has a nice flare for writing but often he is factually incorrect but I think it is done on purpose so his stories flow together. He is an opinion writer not a football guy IMO. That being said, hard to take issue with his article given he is a Broncos writer. I think he is wrong but he is entitled to his opinion. I am hoping he eats crow come Monday.

I think the Broncos are a better team without Welker.  If Welker played he'd be feeling the effects of the concussion plus when he's on the field he makes the offense smaller physically.  Broncos have enough weapons without Welker to blow out teams.  They were winning games without Welker last season.

This game (Broncos vs Colts) is not going to be like the opener last year between the Broncos and Ravens.  It will be a closer game I bet, I just think the Broncos win in a close one.

What matters is defense.