Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

0-16 To Super Bowl Champs

unitaswestand

I keep hearing how the Colts are setting a record for goiing from being so good to being so bad. But I think they have a chance to now do the opposite and go from being winless to winning the Super Bowl next year. Let me play GM for a minute:

1) The Colts, barring a miracle, will have the #1 pick in the draft. Trade that pick to Miami for their #3 overall pick, their #1 pick next year, and Miami's #2 this year.

2) With the #3 overall pick, the Colts pick Blackmon WR Oklahmoma State. I know, people will scream for a cornerback or DT, but we do need the next great Colt WR and Blackmon could be it. He is the best value at that position, I believe.

3) With the 1st and 3rd picks in the second round, the Colts go defense, Perhaps two corners, or a corner and safety.

4) Cut Gary Brackett. Not sure how much is saves, if at all, but Angerer is younger and a better player at this point

5) Fire most of hte coaching staff. I think John Teerlick is a good coach for the line, but the rest can go.

Ok, so now we are look at next year with Manning likely feeling better then he has in a couple of years. We have a much improved running attacked which has show this year. The young guys will only get better! We have great depth at WR because with Blackmon in the mix, the passing attack will be lethal. And the imprvoved running attack will only open more passing opportunities.

Ok, everyone screams about defense. I think a HUGE reason they haven't played well is lack of ability at corner, the inept offense, and playing 10 yards off the receiver. Well, the young guys we pick in the 2nd round and the new DC will make a big difference on that. Maybe with the any saving for losing Brackett, we can bring in a young veteran CB or safty. I am one to believe that Drake Nevis, Fili Moali, and Antonio Johnson could do very well in standard 4-3 defense where they have more linebacker support.

I know it sounds crazy, but honestly, the team we see on the field right now, other than Manning, is probably more talented then the team in the Super Bowl 2 years ago. We couldn't run. We didn't have Nevis or the better offensive lineman. If we could get to the Super Bowl then, with a healthy Manning, the young players a Andrew Luck trade would get us, and better coaches, to me it is not a stretch.

And the beauty is that in 2013, we get Miami's #1 pick, which is likely a top 10 pick as well since I don't expect Luck to do much as a rookie. Another opportunity to bring in perhaps a young passrusher who can play the run as well.

I might add, I think that Peyton's eventual replacement is still two years out. Just my got feeling that is it killing Peyton to be out. Knowing how neck fusions work (I have one), I expect him to miss football so much he will play at least the four years. So Peytons replacement can sit for just two years then take over.

So I think there is very much a path forward that makes us competitive for the Super Bowl the next four years, while still bringing in young talent to continue the run even after Manning.

On a sidenote, if we were to take a QB this year, I would probably take a chance on Kellen Moore as like a 3rd rounder. He is small, but he is the most accurate and cerebral QB in the draft, I believe.

So, in a nutshell, I am not one to believe we should draft Luck and get rid of Manning. I think that is the recipe for at least 3-4 years of not being very good.

We don't need anymore offensive firepower, even if we lose Wayne and Garcon we still have Collie and Gonzalez who have been in the system for some time now and will have no problem filling in. On top of that we still have Clark who is really more like a big receiver. That coupled with Addai/Brown/Carter we have more than enough offensive firepower for Manning.

we just need a defense that is all I ask from Polian. Re-sign Mathis, get a good DT to help Nevis from FA or the draft. Get a very good corner to play opposite of Powers. Some LB depth and a good safety if we don't keep bullitt who IMO isn't a very good safety and benefits from our pass rush.

And please get rid of that awful tampa 2 scheme.

Our O line looks very good next year but some depth and a guard would be nice.

edit: gonzo might be a F/A next year

Sorry but there is no player in the upcoming draft that has more potential to impact a franchise long term then Mr. Luck and to pass on him for a WR is near laughable. WR are one of the most overrated positions on the team and one of the eaisiest to find later in the draft. If you trade the pick you have to go for a game changer like Sue who Detroit picked, you don't for a player who may see maybe 20-25% of actual game action. There are very few chances to get a player whom can impact your franchise for so long at such a key position and to pass on him is just not good smart football.

Sorry but there is no player in the upcoming draft that has more potential to impact a franchise long term then Mr. Luck and to pass on him for a WR is near laughable. WR are one of the most overrated positions on the team and one of the eaisiest to find later in the draft. If you trade the pick you have to go for a game changer like Sue who Detroit picked, you don't for a player who may see maybe 20-25% of actual game action. There are very few chances to get a player whom can impact your franchise for so long at such a key position and to pass on him is just not good smart football.

Hot darn, Dn

I agree with you 100% for once :D

And what if Manning hasn't progressed the way the Dr's think he should have come Feb? What if he still isn't throwing? What if? There are to many uncertainties...

What if he is? Everyone is assuming he's not because they are ready to dump Manning for Luck. There is nothing else to suggest otherwise; in fact, most reports have implied progression.

The idea of drafting another receiver in the first round makes no sense. Everyone seen how well that worked for the Lions. Must be kin to the Millen family.

The Lions drafted another BAD receiver, one after the other. Big difference.

I keep hearing how the Colts are setting a record for goiing from being so good to being so bad. But I think they have a chance to now do the opposite and go from being winless to winning the Super Bowl next year. Let me play GM for a minute:

1) The Colts, barring a miracle, will have the #1 pick in the draft. Trade that pick to Miami for their #3 overall pick, their #1 pick next year, and Miami's #2 this year.

2) With the #3 overall pick, the Colts pick Blackmon WR Oklahmoma State. I know, people will scream for a cornerback or DT, but we do need the next great Colt WR and Blackmon could be it. He is the best value at that position, I believe.

3) With the 1st and 3rd picks in the second round, the Colts go defense, Perhaps two corners, or a corner and safety.

4) Cut Gary Brackett. Not sure how much is saves, if at all, but Angerer is younger and a better player at this point

5) Fire most of hte coaching staff. I think John Teerlick is a good coach for the line, but the rest can go.

Ok, so now we are look at next year with Manning likely feeling better then he has in a couple of years. We have a much improved running attacked which has show this year. The young guys will only get better! We have great depth at WR because with Blackmon in the mix, the passing attack will be lethal. And the imprvoved running attack will only open more passing opportunities.

Ok, everyone screams about defense. I think a HUGE reason they haven't played well is lack of ability at corner, the inept offense, and playing 10 yards off the receiver. Well, the young guys we pick in the 2nd round and the new DC will make a big difference on that. Maybe with the any saving for losing Brackett, we can bring in a young veteran CB or safty. I am one to believe that Drake Nevis, Fili Moali, and Antonio Johnson could do very well in standard 4-3 defense where they have more linebacker support.

I know it sounds crazy, but honestly, the team we see on the field right now, other than Manning, is probably more talented then the team in the Super Bowl 2 years ago. We couldn't run. We didn't have Nevis or the better offensive lineman. If we could get to the Super Bowl then, with a healthy Manning, the young players a Andrew Luck trade would get us, and better coaches, to me it is not a stretch.

And the beauty is that in 2013, we get Miami's #1 pick, which is likely a top 10 pick as well since I don't expect Luck to do much as a rookie. Another opportunity to bring in perhaps a young passrusher who can play the run as well.

I might add, I think that Peyton's eventual replacement is still two years out. Just my got feeling that is it killing Peyton to be out. Knowing how neck fusions work (I have one), I expect him to miss football so much he will play at least the four years. So Peytons replacement can sit for just two years then take over.

So I think there is very much a path forward that makes us competitive for the Super Bowl the next four years, while still bringing in young talent to continue the run even after Manning.

On a sidenote, if we were to take a QB this year, I would probably take a chance on Kellen Moore as like a 3rd rounder. He is small, but he is the most accurate and cerebral QB in the draft, I believe.

So, in a nutshell, I am not one to believe we should draft Luck and get rid of Manning. I think that is the recipe for at least 3-4 years of not being very good.

So we get rid Luck and make Miami a future AFC contender? Then we take a bust WR with minimum impact for a Top 5 pick? Then we make picks but still have to face a future of rebuilding without Manning in 2-3 years. Then we are a perennial bottom feeding team for 10 years... because we need a decent QB.. but only if we took one.. Oh yeah, we gave away that pick that only comes along once in a decade to Miami in 2012. I have one question.. Are you the real Chris Polian?

So we get rid Luck and make Miami a future AFC contender? Then we take a bust WR with minimum impact for a Top 5 pick? Then we make picks but still have to face a future of rebuilding without Manning in 2-3 years. Then we are a perennial bottom feeding team for 10 years... because we need a decent QB.. but only if we took one.. Oh yeah, we gave away that pick that only comes along once in a decade to Miami in 2012. I have one question.. Are you the real Chris Polian?

Wow, I guess if Luck is the only player in the coming draft who won't be a bust and the only QB for the next 10 years who won't be a bust, then we better take him huh?

:rolleyes:

Wow, I guess if Luck is the only player in the coming draft who won't be a bust and the only QB for the next 10 years who won't be a bust, then we better take him huh?

:rolleyes:

That is correct. Luck is a guaranteed high percentage non-bust. Which other player can you say that about? :P Or perhaps you'd rather call the Vikings and ask how they ever solved their QB problem? Oh yeah, out of sheer desperation they reached for a 2nd round QB in the 1st round last year!

And that is completely absurd.

I disagree. And will let the future decide who is absurd. I am just glad that you are not in charge of the Colts front office with listening to all of your poor choices and decisions to direct the future of the Colts.

And in case you didn't see the Vikings game tonight... I will point out that, I'm glad we have the guaranteed #1 pick to insure we don't select a bust at QB.

We don't need anymore offensive firepower, even if we lose Wayne and Garcon we still have Collie and Gonzalez

Collie and Gonzalez will not play next year because they will get injured. We need Wayne and Garcon.

Wayne is our only receiver since Marvin Harrison that is able to stay on the field year in and year out.

Come to think of it, Marvin Harrison is a top 5 Colt of all time btw. Just to put that into the face of the haters.

Agreed.

I already think that something like this may help, like pass short and rush the ball. Kind of combining pass and rush game.

Don't You think we may employ Manning and Luck parallel? Luck would be a greenhorn in his first year, but may learn a lot from Manning. By rotating QBs he may get used to atmosphere of NFL and after 2 season he would be ready to perform his best as starter QB.

Agreed.

I already think that something like this may help, like pass short and rush the ball. Kind of combining pass and rush game.

Don't You think we may employ Manning and Luck parallel? Luck would be a greenhorn in his first year, but may learn a lot from Manning. By rotating QBs he may get used to atmosphere of NFL and after 2 season he would be ready to perform his best as starter QB.

Rotating quarterbacks has only really worked once, with the early 50's Rams, but they had two Hall of Famers to rotate.

"There are very few chances to get a player whom can impact your franchise for so long at such a key position and to pass on him is just not good smart football.":

Really? "Why is there the assumption that no other great players will ever come along in future drafts....??

..and what makes anybody think that Andrew Luck will agree to sit on the Colts bench for an undetremined length of time when

he could start immediately for Miami or Washinton or a half doZen other teams?

No one ever answers that question..

He has leverage..He is not a senior

..and what makes anybody think that Andrew Luck will agree to sit on the Colts bench for an undetremined length of time when

he could start immediately for Miami or Washinton or a half doZen other teams?

No one ever answers that question..

He has leverage..He is not a senior

This is my anxiety too.

We need a quality backup QB (this season is showing why) but a talented young titan wont sit on the bench. Rotation wouldn't work according to Blue Horseshoe.

Who would dare to trade Manning for the sake of a young inexperienced QB???