Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Moncrief was a good pick

feedmoncrief

Yeah some people are jumping that gun a little. However, I do think the selection of Moncrief gives us the luxury of not having to overpay in order to keep Nicks. Like you said, if he has a great year then I'm sure Grigson will offer him, as you said, a fair contract. Whether or not he'll accept that fair contract or strive for top money we don't know. Having guys like Moncrief and Rogers waiting in the wings gives us a backup plan in case Nicks does decide to chase the money.

No argument here. My problem was just with the seemingly popular opinion around here that the Colts already had no plans to attempt to re-sign Nicks next year.

It seems like most people just assume we'll let Nicks walk after the season now that we got Moncrief but I don't think that could be any further from the truth. If Nicks performs as well as we know he can, I fully expect Grigs and co to offer him a fair deal to stay.

What you're suggesting is we will have a turnover of 2/3rds of our top 3 WRs next year. That's something we'd want to avoid. Hell, if Reggie is back to form this year and he says he's good for another year, I'm sure we'll bring him back too.

There's no need to rush Nicks and Wayne out of town for Moncrief and Rogers. They're like 21 years old, their time will come and for the time being they will provide excellent depth and spot play.

JMO but you are arguing against a theory "the Colts already had no plans to attempt to re-sign Nicks next year" that is Illogical in Team sports. Silliness! Uncontrollable Circumstances in the distant future will establish the basis of such a decision.

We should be more Ready for a SB run in 2015 than 2014 as it all comes down to Andrew getting better with his timing and accuracy. If these two young guys & Andrew are locking in pretty well by this seasons end, they should be be ready to go by the 2015 Playoffs.

Nicks will HAVE to be top notch to warrant another deal and if he is it will cost some $$$$Jack.

Why Nicks?

Considering the total depth of our Offensive package, would you justify paying him as he also would be in the way of these talented young guys 2015 developement?

The Truth is Nicks today, is a longer shot to come back beyond 2014.

And if Reggie IS back in 2015, his role/playing time is likely to change a bit.

Because it is also somewhat likely he won`t be one of the top 3 Wr`s on the roster, by 2015 seasons end.

JMO but you are arguing against a theory "the Colts already had no plans to attempt to re-sign Nicks next year" that is Illogical in Team sports. Silliness! Uncontrollable Circumstances in the distant future will establish the basis of such a decision.

I agree, it's illogical, that was my point. That seemed to be how many on this forum were talking about Nicks. As if the Colts already had decided they will move on from him after the season because of 2 young exciting, yet unknown talents (Rogers and Moncrief).

You go on to ask questions that I can't answer until I see how Nicks pans out and how Moncrief and Rogers progress. But as I said if Nicks does work out well, I don't see why Grigson wouldn't offer him a fair deal to return.

Is Moncrief signed?

Colts.com roster has him as a "Unsigned Draft Pick", but the article in PFT about him entering the draft to support his family ends with this statement "Now he’s getting that chance, and with a $2.5 million contract and a $539,800 signing bonus, he’ll be able to take very good care of his family."

hmmmmmmm.....

Is Moncrief signed?

Colts.com roster has him as a "Unsigned Draft Pick", but the article in PFT about him entering the draft to support his family ends with this statement "Now he’s getting that chance, and with a $2.5 million contract and a $539,800 signing bonus, he’ll be able to take very good care of his family."

hmmmmmmm.....

No.