Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you think of the Jaguars decision taking Blake Bortles?

Was taking Blake Bortles the right move?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Was taking Blake Bortles the right move?

• Yes
    • No

There's a few other topics on him, but I want to devote one focusing only on Bortles. To me, this was the biggest mistake and head scratcher of the draft. I've got a lot of points I want to touch upon why this is bad:

Kurt Warner isn't a fan of this pick, mainly because Bortles supporting cast is atrocious. Jacksonville was last in scoring, last in third down offense, last in redzone offense, 31st in rushing, 31st in sacks, 27th in defense, and 28th in defensive scoring. Bortles also has no one big to throw to.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000348415/Will-Bortles-fit-in-Jacksonville

Bortles has been compared as a young Ben Roethlisberger. He has size, strength, and is arguably the most pro ready QB of the draft, since he is a conventional pocket passer, unlike Manziel who scrambles and improvises. The problem is when your o-line is as bad as Jacksonville, you NEED a QB who improvises! They buy time with their feet, extend plays, and give opportunities for even Jacksonville's pathetic WR's to get open. Kurt Warner compared Bortles to a less polished version of Matt Ryan, which is to say he's a pocket passer, but if he gets flushed out of the pocket, he has issues. Well, Blake, I've got news for you, you'll be getting flushed out a lot because...

He must face Clowney, JJ Watt, AND Mathis twice a year! I'm concerned he will be another David Carr, where he gets put on the grass so much, that he loses confidence in himself, his teammates, and begins seeing ghosts. I hope Bortles has nerves of steel and isn't afraid to take a hit.

An interesting detail is Jacksonville has declared they will NOT start Bortles. Chad Henne will be the starter. I don't agree with this. They use a 3rd overall pick on a QB they don't intend to start, and the QB they're starting in his place is a scrub? If they start Bortles too late, they'll surely open the season 0-2, and teams that start 0-2 only have a 12% chance of making the playoffs. Is Jacksonville throwing in the towel before the season has even begun?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000348639/article/jaguars-say-chad-henne-will-open-2014-as-starting-qb
http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-playoff-odds-after-0-2-start-2013-9

Even Peyton Manning couldn't make this offense good. I say Blake Bortles is a bust. Jacksonville should have stocked up on o-linemen, receivers, traded down, or waited for a QB later in the draft or next season. Manziel lasted all the way to the 22nd pick despite his pedigree, which tells you what the other teams thought of this year's QB draft class. Jacksonville got nervous. They reached way too high for Bortles. They could have had Khalil Mack or one of the many number of offensive tackles, but nope, they passed them all. Congratulations Colts fans, that's an easy two wins already.

It just looks like the Jags were desperate for a QB, couldn't get the deal they wanted to trade down, and didn't think he would last until the second round.  This was one of the weakest QB draft pools in a long, long time, and none of them are going to strike fear in the hearts of DCs around the league.  We Colts fans have been a spoiled bunch since 1998, haven't we?

I actually love this pick and for a couple reasons. ever since the combine i have been saying Bortles was the best QB on the board. and i stick by what i say still today.

1) he has a good frame. a better arm then the other two first round QB's, decent run speed to get out of the pocket and he has a cute gf lol. granted he did get drafted by jacksonville, but Jacksonville actually has a pretty good offense with MJD, Shorts III, Blackmon (well if he could ever stay out of trouble that is) and now Lee. so bortles has the weapons to throw the ball to. I even said last season, they have a good team and were missing the big piece at the QB position. 

2) if they would have waited to draft him until the 2nd round he would not have been there. New England wanted him and said they were going to take him if he fell to the 29th pick. and you could not be sure if Oakland, or Minnesota would have passed on him if you were to have traded down into the mid first round. They needed a QB and they got what they wanted. and they were even willing to pass on clowney if he had fallen to them as well. 

and since we are on the topic of bad picks. Houston it seems is trying to only build a defense so they can stop luck. but who is going to throw their receivers the ball? Fitzpatrick? Yates? Keenum? Mallett (if they do get him in a trade with NE)? all 4 of those QB's are career back ups and will be nothing more. Clowney was a bad pick FOR THEM. yes you take the best player on the board BUT they also could have traded their pick, moved down in the draft and picked up a few more picks with it including another first rounder the next two years and then picked Bridgewater or the kid from Eastern Illinois. the fact that they have not drafted a QB yet, either they are working on a trade for a potential starter whether it be Cousins, Mark sanchez (that would be funny) or even maybe try to get Matt Flynn ( i think that would be smart for them) or they truly believe the QB's they have can get them a division championship? don't get me wrong, they did pick who was ranked the best player in the draft like any team would, but they have bigger needs. even Kalil Mack would have a great pick for them  and better pick then clowney. because it fits their needs. but i still feel they should have traded out of the first overall pick. 

dont get me wrong a DLine with Clowney and Watt "COULD BE" scary for opposing QB's BUT I honestly do not see Clowney being as good as he was in college or any better then he was in college. a lot of scouts and GM's were cautious about clowney because of his work ethic, and the laziness. and it also hurt him that he said he would not play against Kentucky because the competition of that game would be to easy for him. is he going to do that to houston when he plays against Oakland, Tampa, or Minnesota in the future? he wont play because their not playoff teams?

It's not a bad pick. And now they're given him 2 really good weapons to work with. Lee and Robinson. I think they're headed in the right direction as a team. It might take another season or two before it falls into place for them. But the AFC south is definitely on the rise as a whole, Colts included.