Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Late Round QB's

One GM's take…..

Bears GM Phil Emery revealed he recently did a "study" that showed late-round quarterback draft picks aren't worth the trouble.

Some people seem to believe late-round QBs can be "developed," but it doesn't happen. "That developmental theory doesn't hold a whole lot of water," Emery said. "So who has gotten developed? There isn't a single quarterback after the third round since 2006 that has been a long-term starter. ... And most of them (third-round QBs) have been wiped out of the league." Emery's analysis doesn't bode well for the likes of Keith Wenning (Ball State) and Brett Smith (Wyoming).

Key phrase is after third round. Cousins and Foles were third rounders.

Fitz 7th round,2005 ie not after 2006.

Orton 4th also in 2005. Neither have reaaly been good per se however, I don't think Emery is referring to developing a low level starter. He is talking legit Joe Flacco get 'er done or higher caliber.

not sure how accurate his study is Fitzpatrick and Cassell for sure come to mind without giving it much thought. Ortin a Chicago starter went in the 5th this is the Bears GM?

Aren't they both back ups now ?  He's says "long time starters." I think what he's saying is you are not going to bet a starter when you draft a QB after round 3. You see plenty of DB's , OL etc. starting when drafted in the late rounds. In fact it could be said that most are taken in the first two rounds. I can't think of any doing well taken after round 3 otter than Foles and Wilson. 

It's a long way back to Tom Brady.

not sure how accurate his study is Fitzpatrick and Cassell for sure come to mind without giving it much thought. Ortin a Chicago starter went in the 5th this is the Bears GM?

It says since 2006. All three of the guys you mention were drafted in 2005.

I don't get the focus on starters for late round QBs to have 'worked'. I can see an argument about QBs taken in the fourth to MAYBE evolve into a starter, but my perception was that QBs taken in rounds 5-7 were, 9 times out of 10, taken as backup types, and not even always long term.

To that end, I'd say that I think some players who are chosen in that range aren't ideal backups, only using my rather narrow view of what a long term backup is. But those kids with pop gun arms, efficient passing history, limited mobility and a plus mind for the game? I think they are ideal as backup QBs, and I think the position is worth drafting late with that expectation. I don't see why late round QBs are a 'success' if they are starters, as that is not the expectation for most other positions that are not fullbacks, punters, kickers, or long snappers.