Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there White Smoke from the Texans Draft Chimney?!?

Has Houston made it's choice?

John McClain, the Texans long-time beat writer,  has for months been pounding the drum that his sources inside the organization were saying they were going to take a quarterback.   They didn't know which one, but they were going to take a QB.

But, in McClain's latest mock draft for his paper,  he's now projecting that Houston is taking Clowney. And,  for what it's worth,  Clowney has now stopped doing all private workouts.   That would indicate someone up high has assured him and his agent that they will take him. 

That could mean Houston?   That could mean St.Louis?   That could mean J'Ville?   But it means someone up high that Clowney is satisfied.

Houston may have made up it's mind....   and it may just be Jadaveon Clowney...

This story is from NFL.com,  but there's a hyper-link to McClain's mock story as well....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341384/article/jadeveon-clowney-gaining-steam-as-texans-no-1-pick

I follow him on twitter and missed his tweets from earlier today, but it looks like he is just doing mocks like the rest of us, wouldn't read too much into that

@McClain_on_NFL: In my 3rd mock today I have Texans taking Clowney. Had Bortles and Manziel in first 2 mocks. Have 3 mocks 2 go. Will predict trade n next 1.

@McClain_on_NFL: Texans will have had full complement of 30 prospects visiting. They still haven't decided who top pick will be and won't till after visits

@McClain_on_NFL: Texans have Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater coming in this week and next. Clowney too.

i honestly don't believe that clowney is a NEED for the texans..if anything they should focus on drafting what they actually need like a QB..and a safety or corner back to fix their secondary .IMO...everybody  have been linking clowney and the texans together cuz they texans pick first and cuz he would look good with watt..but i still think they'll pick him

"Is there White Smoke from the Texans Draft Chimney?!?" --NFC

Pope Francis is a Texans fan really? Well, stick that in your pipe & smoke it Jerry Jones. Just joking man...

A pass rusher worked well for Houston in 2006 with Mario Williams so Jadeveon Clowney could pan out again.  I'm still not sold on JC, but I will man up & admit my mistake if I'm proven wrong. 

Hey QuizBoy or Vance, has the Houston Chronicle's John McClain ever interviewed John McClain AKA Bruce Willis for a column? Say in a dual cameo role for Kevin Costner's new movie "Draft Day?" 

Sorry, SW1 is in a goofy mood right now. I will behave now I promise. 

"McClain's change of heart comes less than two weeks after Clowney wowed onlookers with a phenomenal pro day workout."

Running around in a t-shirt & shorts never impresses me & I don't care what JC did at S. Carolina. Let's see what he looks like by Halloween of 2014 with NFL pads on & the havoc he creates. 

That could mean Houston?   That could mean St.Louis?   That could mean J'Ville?   But it means someone up high that Clowney is satisfied.

I could see JC doing well under a Jeff Fisher regime actually. Whoa, I didn't realize that Gregg Williams is back with the Rams as DC again so quick, but there is a whole new coaching in staff in Tennessee again.  I'm all for new beginnings anyway. Gregg paid his penance for Bounty Gate so I'm cool with this Fisher re-hire/reunion I guess. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/12/rams-officially-name-gregg-williams-defensive-coordinator/

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Name-Gregg-Williams-Defensive-Coordinator/2758a452-4c75-4928-a3ef-9ab68889f34e

First, I read an article about Clowney, and the only reason he is not doing private workouts is because he believes his pro day was very good and did the talking for him. Also, the name has left me, but the Clemson guard who blew out his ACL getting ready for his pro day, that has influenced Clowney into no more workouts. Note Clowney will just not work out, he is happy to go to any club to be interviewed and whatever else they need, just no workout.

For what its worth, I think Clowney will be there choice if they keep it. I can see some teams who may try to make a move. The fact is a QB does not need to go 1st and should not. This QB class is rated below last year, and there are probably 7-8 QB's who are all so close. Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr, Garropolo, McCarron, Metzenburger, Phil Savage moving up quick, Aaron Murray expected with a good pro day since knee has healed enough expected to move up. That is nine. It is extremely deep. I expect to see a run on QB's late in the first and early second which is good for us! I think we may see only one QB go in the top 10, and that would be Bortles. JMO

First, I read an article about Clowney, and the only reason he is not doing private workouts is because he believes his pro day was very good and did the talking for him. Also, the name has left me, but the Clemson guard who blew out his ACL getting ready for his pro day, that has influenced Clowney into no more workouts. Note Clowney will just not work out, he is happy to go to any club to be interviewed and whatever else they need, just no workout.

For what its worth, I think Clowney will be there choice if they keep it. I can see some teams who may try to make a move. The fact is a QB does not need to go 1st and should not. This QB class is rated below last year, and there are probably 7-8 QB's who are all so close. Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr, Garropolo, McCarron, Metzenburger, Phil Savage moving up quick, Aaron Murray expected with a good pro day since knee has healed enough expected to move up. That is nine. It is extremely deep. I expect to see a run on QB's late in the first and early second which is good for us! I think we may see only one QB go in the top 10, and that would be Bortles. JMO

I think you've got a slight mis-read of Clowney.

Clowney HAS been doing private workouts.    He's now stopped them.   Yes, I'm sure the Thomas injury has played a part.

But players/agents know about that all the time.   This is not new.    The hot speculation about why Clowney has stopped is that he's been assured he's being taken high.   The question is how high and which team?

I would not take a QB number 1 overall I don't see one that is worth the number one pick. I am so happy Luck was sitting there for us when we had the #1 Peyton before that those guys make it easy.

I am not really convinced there is a QB that is ready to make a difference on any team in the draft this year.