Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Coaching Staff (Merge)

LUVTHESHOE

Hey if going 0-16 means we have a shot at getting a player the quality of a certain player playing at Stanford....I am all for it.

Wouldn't drafting a certain player from Stanford put us in the same boat down the road? You know paying one player so much that if he goes down we have nothing.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't drafting a certain player from Stanford put us in the same boat down the road? You know paying one player so much that if he goes down we have nothing.

New CBA means you won't be paying as much, but show me a team where the QB on the level of say Peyton, Rogers, Brady, Ben and such don't cost you alot. down side of having a salary cap.

New CBA means you won't be paying as much, but show me a team where the QB on the level of say Peyton, Rogers, Brady, Ben and such don't cost you alot. down side of having a salary cap.

Okay then why don't we have a team that can win without him, those teams do?

That's only for a rookie contract. After that there are no limitations. Drafting Luck without making major changes to how this team is structured is asking him to be better than Peyton Manning.

That's only for a rookie contract. After that there are no limitations. Drafting Luck without making major changes to how this team is structured is asking him to be better than Peyton Manning.

And you make those changes over his rookie contract when you have the money. then if he performs well he gets a bigger deal.

Okay then why don't we have a team that can win without him, those teams do?

Well the Packers lost the game last year where Rodgers didn't play, The Steelers didn't always win and the Pats didn't make the playoffs when Brady went down. they also had better backup QB's, our's bites.

And you make those changes over his rookie contract when you have the money. then if he performs well he gets a bigger deal.

Or you blow up the hole system, and receive a king's ransom for the right to draft him and you put more pieces into place quicker.

The first step is getting rid of the coaching staff. WIthout that we are stuck treading water trying not to drown.

Or you blow up the hole system, and receive a king's ransom for the right to draft him and you put more pieces into place quicker.

The first step is getting rid of the coaching staff. WIthout that we are stuck treading water trying not to drown.

Dittos!

I wouldn't say Troy Aikman was as good as Payton, but I would like to have 3 SB's in 4 years!

You can "blow up" the whole system and then you are looking at maybe 3-4 seasons to get back on top, which I am sure seeing how the fans are handling this season would go over real well. Why don't you think you can get a new QB with that first pick and still rebuild in other key positions with the rest of the draft?

You can "blow up" the whole system and then you are looking at maybe 3-4 seasons to get back on top, which I am sure seeing how the fans are handling this season would go over real well. Why don't you think you can get a new QB with that first pick and still rebuild in other key positions with the rest of the draft?

Staying in the same system with the same structure is asking for the same problems. You are asking a young talent to come in and be better than the best quarterback to play the game. Replacing Manning with Luck you still have far too many issues that need to be addressed. With Manning you have far too many issues that truly need to be addressed, but historically for the most part he has overcome them until he runs into an elite team that makes the issues more apparent and harder to overcome.

I'm in favor of blowing up the whole system if Manning returns. In hindsight it should have been done when More was forced out or even when Dungy retired. Put in a west coast offense, which over the years made decent qb's look good, good qb's look great and great qb's look phenomenal. If that system were in place Painter wouldn't be looking as horrible as he does. He wouldn't be a world beater by any means but he would look far better than he does.

Throw in a new coach and staff and it's possible.

Staying in the same system with the same structure is asking for the same problems. You are asking a young talent to come in and be better than the best quarterback to play the game. Replacing Manning with Luck you still have far too many issues that need to be addressed. With Manning you have far too many issues that truly need to be addressed, but historically for the most part he has overcome them until he runs into an elite team that makes the issues more apparent and harder to overcome.

I'm in favor of blowing up the whole system if Manning returns. In hindsight it should have been done when More was forced out or even when Dungy retired. Put in a west coast offense, which over the years made decent qb's look good, good qb's look great and great qb's look phenomenal. If that system were in place Painter wouldn't be looking as horrible as he does. He wouldn't be a world beater by any means but he would look far better than he does.

A coach or an OC knowledgable in the west coast offense would be a good start. Plus a Ryan type DC.

Why do we need to blow up the offense? I agree we need to make some serious changes in our defensive approach, but I don't see why you would mess with the offense, especially if we get "HIM" who already is calling his own plays now in college and can run a pro style offense.

Why do we need to blow up the offense? I agree we need to make some serious changes in our defensive approach, but I don't see why you would mess with the offense, especially if we get "HIM" who already is calling his own plays now in college and can run a pro style offense.

I don't know how else to spell it out. Things can only be said so many ways. At that point it's up to the reader to be able to comprehend it.

What the heck does Chris Carter know. I'm sick of these ex-NFL players acting like they actually know what they're talking about. You were a good football player....but you don't know the first thing about football, that's why so many stars are bad coaches. Mike Singletary comes to mind immediately.

We are slumping right now but Caldwell is NOT a bad head coach. The guy has lead us to multiple division titles and yes Peyton was healthy but a good QB can't take a team far without a good HC. Give this guy another year and we'll be back in the super bowl, and people will be biting their tongues about caldwell.

Drafting Luck #1 would also have an unpredictable effect on the Salary Cap after his rookie contract ends unless the Colts change the way they allocate capy money. The history under Polian has been to pay 80% of the money to 20% of the players. The result is 80% of the roster being made up of NFL minimum wage castoffs and never was type players.

Drafting Luck #1 would also have an unpredictable effect on the Salary Cap after his rookie contract ends unless the Colts change the way they allocate capy money. The history under Polian has been to pay 80% of the money to 20% of the players. The result is 80% of the roster being made up of NFL minimum wage castoffs and never was type players.

That is why I feel the whole system has to be re-tooled. Have a better system in place and the $ can be more evenly distributed.

In Bill's tenure here in Indy how long has he been this way? I am guessing pretty much the entire time and out of all that time we have this 1 comment by Irsay and bam we have an issue? If Joe Colt fan is so wound up in what the GM...now VP of the Colts says on his TV show and such I kinda wonder if they are just a bit to wound up with the Colts....

Dude, you have to get off this "Joe Fan" thing you're on. Lame.

You don't seem like a stupid guy, you can clearly see my point of view and nothing I've said indicates that I'm too "wound up". lol, c'mon man.

What the heck does Chris Carter know. I'm sick of these ex-NFL players acting like they actually know what they're talking about. You were a good football player....but you don't know the first thing about football, that's why so many stars are bad coaches. Mike Singletary comes to mind immediately.

We are slumping right now but Caldwell is NOT a bad head coach. The guy has lead us to multiple division titles and yes Peyton was healthy but a good QB can't take a team far without a good HC. Give this guy another year and we'll be back in the super bowl, and people will be biting their tongues about caldwell.

Pretty sure if he didn't know a the first thing about football he wouldn't have been in the NFL playing football and arguably being one of the greatest wide receivers of all time. If he's not a bad coach, how come he isn't regarded as a good coach? People obviously believe that he isn't that great, manning would still win multiple division titles even if he didn't have caldwell as HC. You must not understand how good Manning is, because he basically is the OC of this team when he's on the field. He bails out the defense at times as well as make everyone around him better. Give caldwell another you and we will very likely hear the same complaints. We might not have the same record next near in comparison to this year, but Caldwell's faults will still be there and still have a very good shot of messing something up in a game. If you still think NFL players don't make good coaches you might wanna check that out again. Last I checked Tony dungy played in the NFL and later coached in the NFL and if I remember correctly he won a super bowl. Call me crazy, but I think Mike Ditka did the same thing as well....guess former players can coach after all..

Lol, Please give me one of what ever you are on. If Carter was the only expert saying this it would not have gotten press, but he is far from the only one.He not only said he wasn't a good coach he said he has done nothing not 1 iota to improve this team since taking over. Even went as far to say the coaching in indy is almost embarrassing.

When it comes down to the opinion of our coaches the only opinions that matter are Chris, Bill and Jim. No one else matters and at season end I see all 3 sitting down and discussing what to do and what changes need to be made. I think we have to have faith that they know what they are doing and will make the right choice.

Your pathetic dn4192. Get over your love for Andrew Luck. Tom Moore said the only quarterback who can run the colts offense is Peyton Manning!

Well if Tom Moore said it then it must be the fact....

Considering that Tom Moore created this offense for Peyton Manning...

Also, there are other quarterbacks than Andrew Luck. I still don't want us to take one because I think that Peyton Manning will be healthy. I guess most people that want Andrew Luck think Peyton will not be healthy. I don't want to force out Peyton because we've had a high draft pick sitting on the bench for several years, especially if Manning is playing at a high level.

Your pathetic dn4192. Get over your love for Andrew Luck. Tom Moore said the only quarterback who can run the colts offense is Peyton Manning!

Thank you. DN you do realize that when Manning was drafted it was Moore who was the OC and he and Peyton basically designed the system around Peyton...

Again Thank you, can you not see that? Painter does not have the football IQ to do what Manning does. Heck I really don't think in the history of the game (IMO) there has every been a QB like Manning; his ability to decipher and check out/in to the correct play doesn't come from the OC. It's Manning. The offense only went as far as he (Manning) could take it. When our D strapped up and played we won the Superbowl. . . .

i'm just shakin my head at some people

Also, there are other quarterbacks than Andrew Luck. I still don't want us to take one because I think that Peyton Manning will be healthy. I guess most people that want Andrew Luck think Peyton will not be healthy. I don't want to force out Peyton because we've had a high draft pick sitting on the bench for several years, especially if Manning is playing at a high level.

Not me I take Luck if Peyton is 100%, you don't pass on talent like that.

Thank you. DN you do realize that when Manning was drafted it was Moore who was the OC and he and Peyton basically designed the system around Peyton...

Again Thank you, can you not see that? Painter does not have the football IQ to do what Manning does. Heck I really don't think in the history of the game (IMO) there has every been a QB like Manning; his ability to decipher and check out/in to the correct play doesn't come from the OC. It's Manning. The offense only went as far as he (Manning) could take it. When our D strapped up and played we won the Superbowl. . . .

i'm just shakin my head at some people

So no other quality QB can pick up and run the system?

Well, no other QB in the history of the league before Manning has shown the ability to do what he does, so why would anyone reasonably think that our next QB would be able to? ;)

Do what put up a bunch of numbers and win 1 SuperBowl in 13 years? He's a great QB but I think too many people elevate him way too high.

BTW I'd take a Montana over Manning any day.

Well, no other QB in the history of the league before Manning has shown the ability to do what he does, so why would anyone reasonably think that our next QB would be able to? ;)

How many other teams ever even considered trying it? I am willing to bet there are a number of former greats who could run the Colts system. Montana, Elway, Marino, Farve, Fouts, even today Rogers, Brees, Brady all could I believe.

How many other teams ever even considered trying it? I am willing to bet there are a number of former greats who could run the Colts system. Montana, Elway, Marino, Farve, Fouts, even today Rogers, Brees, Brady all could I believe.

Of course they could run it, but they all would run it in their own style. Nobody will ever be able to run the offense the way Manning does it, because he does it with his own style. None of these QBs would run the offense the same way. Their own style/twist to it would be noticeable.

Of course they could run it, but they all would run it in their own style. Nobody will ever be able to run the offense the way Manning does it, because he does it with his own style. None of these QBs would run the offense the same way. Their own style/twist to it would be noticeable.

True and I am thinking they would be just as successful, so if Peyton's replacement is talented and with time gains experience I don't see why he couldn't run a system like we have now with his own way of doing things.

Do what put up a bunch of numbers and win 1 SuperBowl in 13 years? He's a great QB but I think too many people elevate him way too high.

BTW I'd take a Montana over Manning any day.

Montana had a defense and in most years of the Montana Era that defense was ranked higher in points allowed than the offense was ranked in scoring.

Montana had a defense and in most years of the Montana Era that defense was ranked higher in points allowed than the offense was ranked in scoring.

Peyton is/was a great passer and reader of the defense, but as in the playoffs the opposing team made him one dimensional and they shut that down. I want a Montana, Aikman, Brees and Rogers style of QB.