Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Coaching Staff (Merge)

LUVTHESHOE

No! What's the point of passing on Luck to take Barkley, we don't need either. We do need the next top WR though to eventually take over for Reggie Wayne once he retires.

Well, Barkley is a junior, right? So if we trade our pick to include a high enough pick to get Barkley next year......Or is he "coming out" this year? or does anyone know? Gonna be an interesting off season. (actually gonna start on Dec 1 when Manning has a Dr. visit scheduled).....

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Barkley is a junior, right? So if we trade our pick to include a high enough pick to get Barkley next year......Or is he "coming out" this year? or does anyone know? Gonna be an interesting off season. (actually gonna start on Dec 1 when Manning has a Dr. visit scheduled).....

I don't want to take Barkley or Luck for the same reason. I think Peyton will be healthy and back better than ever next year, so I think that it is a waste of a pick when we could get a playmake at CB, DT, and other positions instead.

I don't want to take Barkley or Luck for the same reason. I think Peyton will be healthy and back better than ever next year, so I think that it is a waste of a pick when we could get a playmake at CB, DT, and other positions instead.

That's the problem. We have been ignoring the backup QB (and heir to PM) situation too long. When are we going to address this problem? How do we know what Peyton health is like? We shouldn't make decisions because we "think" PM is going to be healthy. This team is an investment, it would not be smart to put all of eggs in one basket when people aren't sure if he is coming back or not. At this point, we play the safe card; draft a heir to PM and develop. If we don't have anyone to cover PM in the future we might as well get used to drafting from the top 5 for a while.

That's the problem. We have been ignoring the backup QB (and heir to PM) situation too long. When are we going to address this problem? How do we know what Peyton health is like? We shouldn't make decisions because we "think" PM is going to be healthy. This team is an investment, it would not be smart to put all of eggs in one basket when people aren't sure if he is coming back or not. At this point, we play the safe card; draft a heir to PM and develop. If we don't have anyone to cover PM in the future we might as well get used to drafting from the top 5 for a while.

Do I work for the colts? No, so I'm going by what I think will happen, and that is that Peyton Manning will be healthy and ready to play!

Besides, you are the one putting all of your eggs in one basket, drafting Andrew Luck is a do or die pick because it's tied up all in one player. Trading back and drafting multiple talented players to help the team is the safer pick because it improves the whole team, not just the backup quarterback.

Also, why would we have needed to address the successor to Peyton Manning before now and even now? Peyton is on a 5 year contract, so a successor to him would have to sit on the bench for at least 4 years starting next year. Rookie contracts only last 4 years, so that successor would be in free agency when Manning's current contract ends. And no, there is no way that a rookie quarterback waits 4 years to play, let alone 3. All we need is a capable backup and we are seeing if Curtis Painter can be that guy. He has been up and down this year, but hopefully he will prove himself to be a quality backup.

Do I work for the colts? No, so I'm going by what I think will happen, and that is that Peyton Manning will be healthy and ready to play!

Besides, you are the one putting all of your eggs in one basket, drafting Andrew Luck is a do or die pick because it's tied up all in one player. Trading back and drafting multiple talented players to help the team is the safer pick because it improves the whole team, not just the backup quarterback.

Also, why would we have needed to address the successor to Peyton Manning before now and even now? Peyton is on a 5 year contract, so a successor to him would have to sit on the bench for at least 4 years starting next year. Rookie contracts only last 4 years, so that successor would be in free agency when Manning's current contract ends. And no, there is no way that a rookie quarterback waits 4 years to play, let alone 3. All we need is a capable backup and we are seeing if Curtis Painter can be that guy. He has been up and down this year, but hopefully he will prove himself to be a quality backup.

You are correct, nobody knows if Peyton will be good to go or not, but for some reason (with absolutely no rational facts or info) you think he will be. Dumping an injured great (GOAT?) for a fresh shot at a very high calibre replacement makes huge sense. At this moment in time, with Manning's condition uncertain, going for the best QB in the draft is the most logical option. It's all a gamble really.

I'm talking about both. Get enough picks for Luck to get Barkley next year with a high pick if he's not coming out this year. Use picks this year and additional picks next year for whatever else we might need.

No! What's the point of passing on Luck to take Barkley, we don't need either. We do need the next top WR though to eventually take over for Reggie Wayne once he retires.

One prerequisite for participating in a fourm such as this is the ability to read and comprehend.....

One more time.

PICK Luck, ya get Luck.

PICK LUCK AND TRADE LUCK, ya get Barkley ANNNNND additional picks....

Which you do DEPENDS UPON MANNINGS HEALTH...to be determined between DEC 1 when he sees his phisician, And FEB 1 which is when the decision is to be made about his being on the roster for 2012 and after.

The other question is whether Barkley is coming out now or later and how does that match our needs? Won't know til FEBRUARY, 2012

Caldwell to PENN STATE. Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, Les Miles... are options.

A. Manning is going to give us 3-4 more solid years.

B. (If Manning is done or the Colts Organization thinks he is done AND they don't want to pay the 28 million roster bonus next year...)

OPTION A.

RD 1: Draft Luck (Trade to Miami or Washington for their next three RD 1 picks.

RD 1: Draft Barkley...Trade Barkley to Washington or Seattle for 2 RD 1 picks and a RD 2...

RD 1: Draft Clayborne CB or Kirkpatrick CB or Martin OT or Kalil OT (From Miami/Washington)

RD 2: Draft Decastro G

RD 2: Draft Barron SS (From WASH/SEATTLE)

RD 3: Draft BEST Available...

RD 4: Draft BEST Available...

RD 5: Draft BEST Available...

(3 RD 1 Picks) (From 2012 Luck/Barkley and our normal RD 1)

2014 ****DRAFT QB****

(2 RD 1 Picks) (From 2012 Luck and our normal RD 1)

Back to Normal (Peyton Retires)

OPTION B.

RD 1: Draft Andrew Luck QB

RD 2: Draft Decastro G or Konz C

RD 3: Best Available...etc...etc...etc...etc...

Caldwell to PENN STATE. Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, Les Miles... are options.

A. Manning is going to give us 3-4 more solid years.

B. (If Manning is done or the Colts Organization thinks he is done AND they don't want to pay the 28 million roster bonus next year...)

OPTION A.

RD 1: Draft Luck (Trade to Miami or Washington for their next three RD 1 picks.

RD 1: Draft Barkley...Trade Barkley to Washington or Seattle for 2 RD 1 picks and a RD 2...

RD 1: Draft Clayborne CB or Kirkpatrick CB or Martin OT or Kalil OT (From Miami/Washington)

RD 2: Draft Decastro G

RD 2: Draft Barron SS (From WASH/SEATTLE)

RD 3: Draft BEST Available...

RD 4: Draft BEST Available...

RD 5: Draft BEST Available...

(3 RD 1 Picks) (From 2012 Luck/Barkley and our normal RD 1)

2014 ****DRAFT QB****

(2 RD 1 Picks) (From 2012 Luck and our normal RD 1)

Back to Normal (Peyton Retires)

OPTION B.

RD 1: Draft Andrew Luck QB

RD 2: Draft Decastro G or Konz C

RD 3: Best Available...etc...etc...etc...etc...

Pretty darn close, I'd say...

Now, about this coaching staff.....