Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell Bodine (C, G)

This is a Gavin-Special.    He started writing about him a couple of months ago, so props to him!

I like this guy....   he's very much on my radar.    I'm just not sure where we'd take him yet.

Not sure he's a 3rd round guy.    Don't think he'd last to our 5th round pick.    So,  for now, he's feeling a little 4th round-ish to me.

But I think he's a quality player, at both Center and Guard.

Thanks for bringing him up!

Bleacher Report wrote something up about him being a possibility for us in the 5th round. Seems to be a versatile player that can come in and compete for playing time. I hope we take an offensive lineman at some point in the draft. Preferably someone who is not a project, but rather someone who can come in and compete from day one.

I like him as a 5th or 6th round prospect.  I think his arm length, while shorter than ideal, isn't as big of ad eal as some scouts make it out to be.  Anything over 33 inches is going to generally be long enough that it doesn't pose a significant issue with pass blocking, especially for a guard or center who isn't often blocking man to man like a LT would.  Bodine, is about half an inch under 33 inches, so I'm not too concerned about that. 

I doubt it would be his rookie season unless we have another injury riddled season, but I think he could work his way into a starting role as a guard.

Russell Bodine is a project player with good quickness and enough agility to get to the second level, He understands blocking angles and will look to pancake  D Lineman if he has the chance, He picks up stunts well.....once in a while is late switching off his man but not to often. but I think he relies to much on his upper body strength at times especially when pass blocking. I think he can play LG, C, RG but ideally I'd like him at LG or C and I dont see him a day 1 starter...needs to gain more lower body strength, gets knocked back when anchoring a bit to much but holds his ground after. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/russell-bodine-vs-cincinnati-2013/

Since this thread started, I've double checked Bodine and how he grades out.

ESPN.com has him in the mid to upper 60's of overall prospects.    That's top of the 3rd round.

And NFL.com has him as a 3rd or 4th rounder.  

So, I think the chance of Bodine falling to us in the 5th round are very remote.     Doesn't feel like he gets out of the 4th and perhaps goes higher....

Don't think we can use words like project for Bodine....   he's much better than that....

Since this thread started, I've double checked Bodine and how he grades out.

ESPN.com has him in the mid to upper 60's of overall prospects.    That's top of the 3rd round.

And NFL.com has him as a 3rd or 4th rounder.  

So, I think the chance of Bodine falling to us in the 5th round are very remote.     Doesn't feel like he gets out of the 4th and perhaps goes higher....

Don't think we can use words like project for Bodine....   he's much better than that....

3rd and 4th rounders are project players according to the grading system NFL.com used to have up before they changed it, I think he has the physical tools to eventually start but is still raw

3rd and 4th rounders are project players according to the grading system NFL.com used to have up before they changed it, I think he has the physical tools to eventually start but is still raw

I'm not sure where you saw that,  but that's highly incorrect.

3rd and 4th round guys are NOT considered projects.     They may not be considered first year starters,  but there's a difference between being a back-up for a year or two and being a project.

Big, big difference.

I'm not aware of any website who would consider a 3rd and 4th round draft pick to be a project.

And since I'm an admirer of NFL.com (even when I disagree with them as I do this year on Aaron Donald and Jimmie Webb)  they have never thought of 3rd and 4th round guys as projects.

Let me see if I can't put this another way to be more clear.....

Daniel Odongo is a project

Josh Mcnary is a project

The big 6'9" offensive tackle is a project

Jarvis Pendleton is a project.

But....

Hugh Thornton is not a project -- he needs experience.

Khalid Homes is not a project -- he needs experience.

Josh Chapman is not a project -- he needs experience.

I hope that explains my view of this in a better way..........

I'm not sure where you saw that,  but that's highly incorrect.

3rd and 4th round guys are NOT considered projects.     They may not be considered first year starters,  but there's a difference between being a back-up for a year or two and being a project.

Big, big difference.

I'm not aware of any website who would consider a 3rd and 4th round draft pick to be a project.

And since I'm an admirer of NFL.com (even when I disagree with them as I do this year on Aaron Donald and Jimmie Webb)  they have never thought of 3rd and 4th round guys as projects.

Ill try to find where they used to label and grade the prospects from years past. They seemed to have taken that down altogether however.