Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charlie's Mock on Walter Football

Gotta say, I think I really like this draft.  The only questionable pick for me was Brandon Coleman in the 3rd.  Notable players left on the board are in parenthesis.

Here's the picks:

2nd Rd. (#59 overall)  - OLB Carl Bradford, Arizona State (WR Davante Adams, DT Will Sutton, WR Donte Moncrief, OLB Kyle Van Noy, CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, C/G Marcus Martin, G/OT Brandon Thomas)

3rd Rd. (#90 overall)  - WR Brandon Coleman, Rutgers (CB Braushaud Breeland, WR Paul Richardson, G Cyril Richardson, G/OT Dakota Dozier, DT Kelcy Quarles)

5th Rd. (#166 overall) - S Kenny Ladler, Vanderbilt (would put names here, but the draft has already gone crazy by this point so it's a crap shoot times 10)

Good picks, Though I question the Coleman pick at #90 over both Dozier and Quarles. Got a link?

Sure thing.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

Yeah, I agree with you on the Coleman.  I think both those guys are the "safer pick" (whatever that may mean), but what I think Charlie was thinking was "Red Zone Target."  And at 6'6", how can one disagree?  He was once projected to be a late first round pick, but a knee injury in 2012 set him back a bit in 2013.  He's been quoted as saying he's finally starting to get his stride back.  A risk at #90 nonetheless.

Sure thing.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

Yeah, I agree with you on the Coleman.  I think both those guys are the "safer pick" (whatever that may mean), but what I think Charlie was thinking was "Red Zone Target."  And at 6'6", how can one disagree?  He was once projected to be a late first round pick, but a knee injury in 2012 set him back a bit in 2013.  He's been quoted as saying he's finally starting to get his stride back.  A risk at #90 nonetheless.

He will be a solid player...a #2 wr but a solid #2, I really like Carl Bradford but thats ballsy to do with Marcus Smith still on the table....Also......Kyle Van Noy lasting to #74 wont happen.

He will be a solid player...a #2 wr but a solid #2, I really like Carl Bradford but thats ballsy to do with Marcus Smith still on the table....Also......Kyle Van Noy lasting to #74 wont happen.

Agree about Kyle Van Noy.  I really can't decide who I like between Bradford and Smith, though.  Both guys have size limitations, so I tend to side with Bradford who was utilized in a 3-4 (whereas Smith were in a 4-3 if memory serves) and I also think Bradford is a bit more explosive than Smith.

Agree about Kyle Van Noy.  I really can't decide who I like between Bradford and Smith, though.  Both guys have size limitations, so I tend to side with Bradford who was utilized in a 3-4 (whereas Smith were in a 4-3 if memory serves) and I also think Bradford is a bit more explosive than Smith.

Marcus Smith was moved around alot, He played alot standing up, over the Center as well, even in the slot http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=Marcus+Smith

Gotta say, I think I really like this draft.  The only questionable pick for me was Brandon Coleman in the 3rd.  Notable players left on the board are in parenthesis.

Here's the picks:

2nd Rd. (#59 overall)  - OLB Carl Bradford, Arizona State (WR Davante Adams, DT Will Sutton, WR Donte Moncrief, OLB Kyle Van Noy, CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, C/G Marcus Martin, G/OT Brandon Thomas)

3rd Rd. (#90 overall)  - WR Brandon Coleman, Rutgers (CB Braushaud Breeland, WR Paul Richardson, G Cyril Richardson, G/OT Dakota Dozier, DT Kelcy Quarles)

5th Rd. (#166 overall) - S Kenny Ladler, Vanderbilt (would put names here, but the draft has already gone crazy by this point so it's a crap shoot times 10)

Interesting info... ;)

I'd go with Van Noy at #59, Dozier or Quarles at #90, and then I guess I'd be fine with Ladler in the 5th. 

Here's the picks:

I don't know very much about these players but I have to question getting an OLB with notable O line and a DT's still on the board.  However if Bradford is the better player and might be able to replace Walden in a  year or so then it's a good move.

With all the WR's on this roster I see no reason to draft one in the 3rd.

Marcus Smith was moved around alot, He played alot standing up, over the Center as well, even in the slot http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=Marcus+Smith

Yeah, I know.  And I also understand that when we're talking about tweeners, the traditional 3-4, 4-3 designation doesn't apply in such a hard and fast manner.  To me, these guys are pretty similar and if we're picking between one or the other with the 27th pick of the 2nd, assuming there isn't any other position of need available, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these guys.  I know some like Van Noy and Attaochu as well.  But if I put them on my big board, it depends on the purpose for which we'd be drafting him for.  That's why its' really hard to say some of these guys are better than the other.  But here's my big board of the 4 mentioned.

1) Kyle Van Noy - This guy I think is the best of the 4 and I doubt he slips to us.  Good in coverage, gets to the ball quick, and cna pass rush fairly well, but it's not his strongest trait.

2) Carl Bradford - 1st down and short yardage situations with some coverage duties, limited pass rush ability, but technique could improve.  If we are looking for a 2 down run defender, this is our guy if Van Noy isn't there.  For this reason I have him as #2.  I think the primary focus this year has been stopping the run with some of the pickups we've made, and Bradford furthers that end.  With time, could develop into a strong pass rusher.

3) Marcus Smith - Better with the pass rush and shows solid capabilities jamming TEs at the LOS.  A better pick for us if we are looking for a OLB on obvious passign downs.  Since we have Mathis and Walden, this could be our route, especially considering Mathis is coming toward the end of a great career.

4) Jeremiah Attaochu - To be honest, I actually think Attaochu may have the highest ceiling out of them all.  I hate to use that word, but Attaochu has very good power and pass rush capabilities.  The physical aspects of a rush linebacker are all there, I think he's just underdeveloped from a football awareness standpoitn, especially in the run game.  He's #4 here beceause, even if his football IQ and recognition improve, there's virtually no real film on him in coverage, which if he were a Sam, that wouldn't be such a big deal, but it obviously limits a truly accurate scouting profile and versatility at this particular juncture.

Interesting info... ;)

I'd go with Van Noy at #59, Dozier or Quarles at #90, and then I guess I'd be fine with Ladler in the 5th. 

Yeah, I would have gone with Van Noy as well, and I've been high on Dozier since I first started looking at OL.  Though, I will say that my biggest concern about him is that he uses power to compensate for form and technique sometimes, especially in pass pro.  That may work at the lower level, but it won't work in the NFL.  Lucky for us, if we're looking to improve any position that isn't center, it's right guard (I still believe Thomas will be productive if he can keep healthy).  Nevertheless, unless Dozier makes huge strides in camp, were we to draft him, he may follow the same route Hughes did and have a redshirt rookie year.

I think Ladler in the 5th is a solid pick, just don't think he will be there.  But if he was, he'd be solid for depth purposes at the least.  May eventually work his way into a starting role.  Still scared of what happens if we don't find a FS replacement in FA or early in the draft.

Yeah, I would have gone with Van Noy as well, and I've been high on Dozier since I first started looking at OL.  Though, I will say that my biggest concern about him is that he uses power to compensate for form and technique sometimes, especially in pass pro.  That may work at the lower level, but it won't work in the NFL.  Lucky for us, if we're looking to improve any position that isn't center, it's right guard (I still believe Thomas will be productive if he can keep healthy).  Nevertheless, unless Dozier makes huge strides in camp, were we to draft him, he may follow the same route Hughes did and have a redshirt rookie year.

I think Ladler in the 5th is a solid pick, just don't think he will be there.  But if he was, he'd be solid for depth purposes at the least.  May eventually work his way into a starting role.  Still scared of what happens if we don't find a FS replacement in FA or early in the draft.

Dozier can be coached. Thankfully, I think we have some guard talent right now, and any guard we'd draft would be on the bench as a rookie. His technical issues can be coached, but the physical tools are there.

don't get me wrong I like Coleman and think it would be a solid pick but why would be take a WR if Cyril Richardson and or Dakota Dozier were still there. Give me Pierre Desir with the 2nd rounder. Howell is ready to roll grab Boston later for competition and maybe he wins the job if not he is a back up S and slot corner.

Why look at WR in the draft this yr at all we have Reggie coming back, Nicks coming in, TY only getting better, Brazil showed some stuff this yr and I think we all want to see what Da'Rick is capable off. We know Griffen can play doesn't have the same potential as the other 2 guys. Not to mention the duo at TE. I just don't see why we would draft a skill position player in this draft.  Unless something really crazy happens like Matthews falling all the way to 59 other than that doesn't make any sense to me.

If we could get Attaochu that late wow that'd be great. I am looking at Prince Shembo or Morgan Breslin. The more I read about Breslin the more I want him.

I'd be looking O Line the rest on D then on D a little more on D. We fix the interior of the O Line the offense looks good. I am hearing TJ Jones could go undrafted sigh me up for him at WR

Dozier can be coached. Thankfully, I think we have some guard talent right now, and any guard we'd draft would be on the bench as a rookie. His technical issues can be coached, but the physical tools are there.

My thoughts exactly.  His technique issues are coachable, and we have Thorton to play for the time being.  I'd like to see Dozier work his way into the starting role sometime midseason, but as you know, gotta be patient with lineman.  So I'm cool if he comes in in 2015 starting strong and confident.

In all honesty, I don't know squat about Brandon Coleman. However, I just don't understand why we would be going after a WR in the third round, when we have Nicks, T.Y., Reggie, Brazill, Rogers, Whalen and Lenz.

I have seen suggestions that the safeties most likely to be available when we pick in the second round, would be somewhat of a reach, unless someone falls, but I would imagine that we would be looking for a replacement for Bethea at least in the third round.

In all honesty, I don't know squat about Brandon Coleman. However, I just don't understand why we would be going after a WR in the third round, when we have Nicks, T.Y., Reggie, Brazill, Rogers, Whalen and Lenz.

I have seen suggestions that the safeties most likely to be available when we pick in the second round, would be somewhat of a reach, unless someone falls, but I would imagine that we would be looking for a replacement for Bethea at least in the third round.

Because after the 1st 3 the others have not proven to be consistent  and 1 of those wont even make it through the preseason on the team more then likely (Lenz)