Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For the Manning/Brady Rival Fans... A little different spin

Gramz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The source is the Colts owner. If you don't believe him or think he was posturing then that is your belief but Irsay put that number out there.

Irsay didn't say Manning was asking for $25m/year. Him putting that number out there wasn't definitive, unless you think the world is strictly black and white and don't believe in nuance or negotiating tactics. 

I'm content to let you believe whatever you wish to believe, but I think you're being unfair to Manning -- and a little naive -- if you really think Irsay's comments mean that Manning was asking for $25m/year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6817822/indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-signs-five-year-90-million-deal

"While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player," Manning told The Indianapolis Star, "I told him I'd rather he save that money and keep whoever it is ... (running back) Joe Addai, (left tackle) Charlie Johnson ... whoever that may be. I'm willing to take less than they've offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players."

Irsay didn't say Manning was asking for $25m/year. Him putting that number out there wasn't definitive, unless you think the world is strictly black and white and don't believe in nuance or negotiating tactics. 

I'm content to let you believe whatever you wish to believe, but I think you're being unfair to Manning -- and a little naive -- if you really think Irsay's comments mean that Manning was asking for $25m/year.

I don't think Irsay was throwing that number out there with no reason. I think you are the one being naive if you don't think Manning was asking for the money whether it was 25 or not. The point being is he wanted to be paid more than Brady and then you have this article saying the exact opposite when he was dealing with the Broncos and yet he still got paid more then Brady because his agent and wife made him. Like I said, it is silly and does not jive at all. 

I don't think Irsay was throwing that number out there with no reason. I think you are the one being naive if you don't think Manning was asking for the money whether it was 25 or not. The point being is he wanted to be paid more than Brady and then you have this article saying the exact opposite when he was dealing with the Broncos and yet he still got paid more then Brady because his agent and wife made him. Like I said, it is silly and does not jive at all.

Manning never asked to be paid more than Brady, and I'm pretty sure it's well known he asked to be paid less. Also Manning is the one who rejected a fully guaranteed contract Irsay offered. And if he didn't Irsay wouldn't have been able to release him a year later.

Manning never asked to be paid more than Brady, and I'm pretty sure it's well known he asked to be paid less. Also Manning is the one who rejected a fully guaranteed contract Irsay offered. And if he didn't Irsay wouldn't have been able to release him a year later.

Manning was released because he had a $28 million dollar roster bonus.

So Irsay was posturing but Manning is not? 

Last thing I'll say about this, but it's pretty simple:

Irsay never said Manning asked for $25m/year, nor did he say Manning asked to be the highest paid player in the league. Irsay said he offered to make Manning the highest paid player in the league, but that he couldn't do $25m/year. 

Manning signs a contract that DIDN'T make him the highest paid player in the league, and then Manning, Irsay and Polian all spoke in unison, claiming that Manning offered to take less than what they were prepared to pay him.

In my mind, the case is closed. If you can't grasp that, or wish to believe something else, that's up to you. But Irsay never said Manning asked for $25m/year, and Manning never got $25m/year. (I should add that the Titans were reportedly ready to offer Manning $25m/year in 2012. Manning never engaged in contract negotiations with them.)

Just like you missed that Irsay said he could not pay him $25 mil.

Irsay said that because he was the * mouthing off HE, as in IRSAY, wanted to make Peyton the highest player. He had to backtrack on what he said.

Also Manning wasn't released because of the $28M bonus due, but say he was Irsay is lucky Manning rejected the fully guaranteed contract. As is not being able to get out of contract.

The contract Manning signed was completely friendly towards the Colts. Not his pockets.

I'm a huge Manning fan, and I like Andrew Brandt as well, but this story seems weird to me. How come Manning didn't just tell Condon to counter to the Broncos at $18m/year, and let that be that? That he would ask for less, get mad when offered more, then accept the offer, seems strange. My sniffer doesn't like this one...

I thought the exact same thing.  In fact, I read that paragraph twice to make sure.  It distinctly says the Broncos offered $19.4 mil, not that Condon accepted it.  Peyton's a smart guy and I'm sure he knows the business side of it, so I find it hard to believe that he would be so upset at that.  Just call the Broncos and tell them $18 mil is good enough, then it's a done deal

Last thing I'll say about this, but it's pretty simple:

Irsay never said Manning asked for $25m/year, nor did he say Manning asked to be the highest paid player in the league. Irsay said he offered to make Manning the highest paid player in the league, but that he couldn't do $25m/year. 

Manning signs a contract that DIDN'T make him the highest paid player in the league, and then Manning, Irsay and Polian all spoke in unison, claiming that Manning offered to take less than what they were prepared to pay him.

In my mind, the case is closed. If you can't grasp that, or wish to believe something else, that's up to you. But Irsay never said Manning asked for $25m/year, and Manning never got $25m/year. (I should add that the Titans were reportedly ready to offer Manning $25m/year in 2012. Manning never engaged in contract negotiations with them.)

I think there was posturing on both sides. 

I thought the exact same thing.  In fact, I read that paragraph twice to make sure.  It distinctly says the Broncos offered $19.4 mil, not that Condon accepted it.  Peyton's a smart guy and I'm sure he knows the business side of it, so I find it hard to believe that he would be so upset at that.  Just call the Broncos and tell them $18 mil is good enough, then it's a done deal

Yup. It's not like the Broncos would have said no, and then the deal would have been off. It's kind of silly to me.

Right more of a characterization of Manning personally based on his relationship with him over the years.

It had to do with Manning stating it's sad to see everyone from the organization being let go. And that it feels so different as if you have to walk on eggshells.

Didn't the Titans offer Peyton $25 million before he signed with the Broncos and he chose not to even negotiate? I'm pretty sure it was in the news Bud Adams was willing to fork that amount of money out.

Pretty sure he was also offered part ownership of the team when he retires also.

Didn't the Titans offer Peyton $25 million before he signed with the Broncos and he chose not to even negotiate? I'm pretty sure it was in the news Bud Adams was willing to fork that amount of money out.

Pretty sure he was also offered part ownership of the team when he retires also.

No no no, he's never left a penny on the table...

haha   what a can of worms I opened.   I just thought I was sharing a "nice" article.

I think I'll go back to knitting now....   haha   :lol:

It was a nice article, Gramz, and I highly doubt that Brandt was being overly dramatic since his article was on King's MMQ site and Brandt gave quotes and sources.

However, Condon may have been being overly dramatic to make his story sound better.  Not sure that Peyton would appreciate that though if he was.

A little off-topic, but I was thinking about you the other day when I heard about a contest to win tickets to the Celebration of Caring Gala on 4/26 for the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital.

Sad thing is that I can't remember who was offering the contest and if it still open.  But, I know how much you would have loved to have won those tickets since Peyton will be the Master of Ceremonies.

As for knitting, I prefer crocheting.  Would you like to debate about which is better?  ;)

How depressing is it for you Brees will always be in their shadow? And will retire no more than a year or two after them. He won't even get a year of lime light. By that time the young guys will take over. Brees is just the ugly duckling.

Why do you think he always whines on here?.

Is there a rule that when Bogie makes a comment about Manning or Brady there must be comments about Brees that follow? He isn't even a hardcore Brees fanboy lol....

It's like when a Texans fan says something and someone replies to him, "You're team only won 2 games last year....".

*shrugs*

What else the reply should be - Talk about Mars?.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 26, 2014 - review
Hidden by Nadine, March 26, 2014 - review

Fans should not get too caught up into the hate at times. Rivalries fuel fans at times and without them though people can get bored......

I think people sometimes wish we had a new legit rival in the AFC. It may take time if it happens again.

I have no problem you defending what is right but the fact that you are defending Bogie negates everything.

What? Brady and Manning are still playing at an elite level so the rivalry is still as good as it ever was. Perhaps you missed the game in NE that went into O.T.? And just because the AFCCG was dominated by the Broncos much the way the Pats dominated the Broncos last year in Foxboro, is not indicative of the QBs play but more of their teams. No other QB rivalry in the history of the game has played as much as Manning/Brady and they will play for the 16th time next season and maybe another post-season game as well. Every game they play has meaning because it has generally determined who gets home field in the playoffs or has decide who goes to the Super Bowl. What else can you ask for?

I get wanting to see new players emerge and I think Wilson/Kaep is going to be a good one given they are in the same division, but hard not to continue to appreciate Brady/Manning. I don't think the game will ever see a better rivalry between two class acts.

Fantabulous, AMF.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 26, 2014 - skirting the filter
Hidden by Nadine, March 26, 2014 - skirting the filter

And he takes all the money and goes to Vegas to gamble.

He doesnt donate, he doesn't build children's hospital, he never gives back to his college etc.

Not to mention, he doesnt deserve any of this. He is just an average player.

What a greedy bas**rd.

I am sorry that this digressed into a discussion beyond the article but honestly no need to keep carrying on. Manning has made the most money of any player in NFL history that is a fact. He is also number one in endorsement earnings as well. As you said yourself earlier in the this thread, this story does not pass the smell test. If Manning truly wanted to play for 18 mil then he could have. Not sure if the author was just embellishing or what but the Broncos would have gladly paid him 18 instead of 20 if he was that adamant about not earning a penny more than Brady.

I am sorry that this digressed into a discussion beyond the article but honestly no need to keep carrying on. Manning has made the most money of any player in NFL history that is a fact. He is also number one in endorsement earnings as well. As you said yourself earlier in the this thread, this story does not pass the smell test. If Manning truly wanted to play for 18 mil then he could have. Not sure if the author was just embellishing or what but the Broncos would have gladly paid him 18 instead of 20 if he was that adamant about not earning a penny more than Brady.

Ok Manning wants more money and people are ready to pay. 

Whats the message you are trying to highlight?.