Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Smith won't be back with Panthers in 2014

lollygagger8

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/12/agent-says-steve-smith-wont-be-back-in-carolina/   Agent says Steve Smith won’t be back in Carolina
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
smith2.jpg?w=241Getty Images

Of the Panthers’ various options for receiverSteve Smith, keeping him won’t be the one that’s selected.

Smith’s agent, Derrick Fox, tells Steve Reed of the Associated Press that Smith will have a new home in 2014.

“[steve] is not going to play for the Panthers next year, I know that,” Fox said.  “I just don’t know when that transaction is going to take place.”

If the Panthers cut Smith, they’ll owe him $3 million in fully-guaranteed base salary, with no offset clause.  It means that he can sign with another team, keep that team’s money, and keep Carolina’s $3 million.

A trade would send that obligation to a new team, clearing the Panthers of any financial obligations.  But a new team has no reason to pay $7 million for Smith.  A new team would be more inclined to wait for Smith to be released and sign him on the open market.

The contract that gives Smith plenty of leverage and the Panthers few desirable choices was signed in 2012.  It was supposedly Smith’s retirement deal.

“Where we are disappointed is the fact he signed an extension to stay loyal to the club and complete his career as a Panther,” Fox said.  “That is why we did the long-term team deal.  Now we are at a crossroads where the Panthers don’t want him anymore.”

The next question is whether someone else does.  It’s safe to assume the answer is yes.

Before anyone asks, the answer is no.  Not just no, hell no.  The fact that the Panthers are willing to pay him 3 million dollars to go away when they have the equivalent of chewing gum at wide receiver should be a gigantic red flag.

I'd rather Jim Irsay just set fire to a bunch of cap space than give it to Steve Smith.

So who is Cam Newton going to be throwing to?  One of the weakest parts of their offense was their lack of options aside from Smith?

I honestly feel bad for Cam. He appears to be a pretty talented QB, and has a future, but without anyone to throw to in a passing league this is going to make him 'look' bad...He has a nice OL, and a decent TE, but outside of that his offense is a black hole, its pretty impressive what he has done so far, and now they are handcuffing him even more. I'd hate to see his career go to waste....

I honestly feel bad for Cam. He appears to be a pretty talented QB, and has a future, but without anyone to throw to in a passing league this is going to make him 'look' bad...He has a nice OL, and a decent TE, but outside of that his offense is a black hole, its pretty impressive what he has done so far, and now they are handcuffing him even more. I'd hate to see his career go to waste....

Think I seen somewhere that Carolina could be a destination for Nicks. I'm sure with the release of Smith they will go WR in the 1st round too

Idk about that. I don't want him but if it came to him playing here or just lighting our money on fire. Think I'm going to choose him playing

The team he's been with pretty much his entire career did exactly that. It cost them 3 million dollars to cut him and they have no other wide recievers on the team. Think about that for a moment.

I'd pay 3 million in cap space to not have him infect our locker room.

Besides, what are we going to do with a 35 year old receiver?

The team he's been with pretty much his entire career did exactly that. It cost them 3 million dollars to cut him and they have no other wide recievers on the team. Think about that for a moment.

I'd pay 3 million in cap space to not have him infect our locker room.

Besides, what are we going to do with a 35 year old receiver?

It's better then burning the money you missed the joke I guess

It's better then burning the money you missed the joke I guess

Heh, no I got it.

The sad part, is that's what actually happened. I need to figure out a way to get my employer to give me 3 million in cash to go away lol

3/5's of their offensive line retired lol

Think I seen somewhere that Carolina could be a destination for Nicks. I'm sure with the release of Smith they will go WR in the 1st round too

Yep. Nicks and a young guy to learn from him and one day become Cam's number one.

Yeah it's a good idea the panthers offense could be alot better next year

It better, if they want to actually win a playoff game this season. They already have the defense, it's up to the offense to step up and push that team to the next level.

It better, if they want to actually win a playoff game this season. They already have the defense, it's up to the offense to step up and push that team to the next level.

Well they will have a shot at a good WR in the draft with how deep the draft is this year at the WR position

Well they will have a shot at a good WR in the draft with how deep the draft is this year at the WR position

Yep. They'll probably get Lee if he lasts that long, but like you said there are plenty of other options that wouldn't be considered a reach in the first.