Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian: Colts' Caldwell 'done A Terrific Job' With Limited Personnel

bayone

...I don't care how the team is constructed because all that matters is that we win. If we do it like we have over the past decade for another decade with a STUD QB and questionable parts around him, then so be it, all that matters is the end result doesn't it?

No, I'd kinda prefer to learn from past mistakes and improve upon them heading into the future in striving for more success. It's a little thing called "progress".

prog·ress

   [n. prog-res, -ruhthinsp.pngs or, especially Brit., proh-gres; v. pruh-gres] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA

noun

a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage: the progress of a student toward a degree.

developmental activity in science, technology, etc., especially with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created.

advancement in general.

growth or development; continuous improvement:

the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'd kinda prefer to learn from past mistakes and improve upon them heading into the future in striving for more success. It's a little thing called "progress".

prog·ress

   [n. prog-res, -ruhthinsp.pngs or, especially Brit., proh-gres; v. pruh-gres] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage: the progress of a student toward a degree.

developmental activity in science, technology, etc., especially with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created.

advancement in general.

growth or development; continuous improvement:

the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.

So you want the Colts to win every superbowl over the next decade or at least 4-5 of them and the other ones be in but just lose?

Dear God, somebody just tell him he's right.

I read this forum on my phone and i can only see posts without scrolling over to see the author. Unless its a post by dn which is a dead giveaway. Do you ever get sick of being the devils advocate? How much fun is it to disagree with EVERYBODY you encounter here? I can't help but think a person of your mass intellect doesn't have better things to devote your time to. You think you're the only true dedicated fan remaining on these forums and that everybody has turned on the same team they supported in years past but please be understanding. Does it not pain you to the core to watch these football games as of late? Do you not consider renters insurance on your TV for the fear of chucking the remote through it? If your answer is no and you're willing to overlook the season as a whole, how much of a "true fan" are you actually? Man if nothing else please just realize people are capable of holding opinions that differ from yours. I really do mean this with all due respect as I hold an opinion of you that is probably higher than a good portion of active users on this board, and im not even one of them.

Exactly WHOM saw the Colts as SB contenders this season before Manning went down? Anyone who looked at this overall team sure didn't. IN fact most "experts" had the Colts at 8 to 9 wins total this year with a healthy Peyton.

I absolutely saw them as SB contenders - and MANY others on here have expressed the same. Most "experts" were basing their predictions (more typically 10 wins and a narrow division victory by the way, only a few loonies had 8) on the fact that the Colts only won 10 last season and seemed to have some serious issues. Surely a devoted Colts fan would have noticed that virtually every issue last year besides the offensive line was due to injuries, and that the Colts took a giant step towards addressing that in the draft. If nothing else changed - and we still had Peyton - I would expect us to be 6-1 or better right now. And that's with Sanders/Hayden not making it back and a whole new string of excessive injuries.

Some of us were calling for him to be fired before this year. The rest of these are all bandwagon complainers.

haha.. isn't that the truth;)

heck I didn't think he should have been hired in the first place and I knew nothing about him. A good interim coach but...... hiring a QB coach reference by Dungy didn't look so hot to me.

Should have gone outside the organization for a coach.

heck I didn't think he should have been hired in the first place and I knew nothing about him. A good interim coach but...... hiring a QB coach reference by Dungy didn't look so hot to me.

When they first started talking about Dungy retiring, I was hoping they'd look to Ron Rivera to replace him. After Rivera went to SD and it came time for Dungy to retire, I was hoping they'd change their mind on Caldwell and bring in Spagnuolo. *sigh*

I absolutely saw them as SB contenders - and MANY others on here have expressed the same. Most "experts" were basing their predictions (more typically 10 wins and a narrow division victory by the way, only a few loonies had 8) on the fact that the Colts only won 10 last season and seemed to have some serious issues. Surely a devoted Colts fan would have noticed that virtually every issue last year besides the offensive line was due to injuries, and that the Colts took a giant step towards addressing that in the draft. If nothing else changed - and we still had Peyton - I would expect us to be 6-1 or better right now. And that's with Sanders/Hayden not making it back and a whole new string of excessive injuries.

+1,000,000.

I've been trying to say this exact same thing. Starting the year out we were the same team, minus CJ plus Castonzo, minus DeVan (who sucks) plus Reitz, plus Delone Carter, plus Drake Nevis, plus Anderson, Brayton, and Sims. Not to mention a healthy Collie, Gonzo, Clark, Bullitt, and Addai. I don't see how anyone who follows the Colts could think we were anything but a Super Bowl contender. This is a team that should not be 0-7. The fact that we are falls on the coaching staff and front office, who are currently baffled by our terrible secondary play....jeez who woulda thunk getting rid of Tryon would be a bad thing.

I believe the Colts woes are not as a result of "inexperience and injuries". That is a cop-out to deflect criticism from the real issues - NFL worst coaching, poor front office, lack of talent - period. Our O line is improving but is still one of the least talented lines in the NFL. Our interior D line, with the exception of Nevis when he is healthy, is the joke of the league - from a talent and performance criteria. Our starting DEs are part timers who have not played well at all this season and their backups are untalented and probably would not make another NFL team's roster. Our Line Backing corp is small, can't shed blockers, misses far too many gap assignments, are poor in pass coverage and misses far too many tackles. Yes our LBs are 1st and 5th in the NFL in total tackling but that is more of a reflection on the sorry state of our D line and DBs. Our secondary, with the exception of Bethea is far and away the worst in the NFL. Even when our D was intact (opening day vs Texans) we were beat like circus monkees by the the Texans offense. Our Special Teams as a whole this year has been bottom three in the NFL.

Every team has injuries and inexperienced players. They never use that as an excuse (like some) as the reason for their failures. Our biggest problems is simply lack of NFL talent, coaching and poor player acquisition/management.

Can you please be just a little more specific about how bad we are and in what areas?? :whiteflag:

agreed on both points here, and I'm a bandwagon complainer after last week.

I was reading a number of anti-Caldwell posts here. It seems that the man has great character like Dungy, but I'm not so confident in his in-game management skills, and it's hard defend the team's overall preparation at this point. Some people are better suited to be coordinators.

With that said, it hit me yesterday . . . . why not go after Jeff Fisher to be the next coach? He is an amazing and stable coach, also seems to have a good deal of character and professionalism, is very familiar with the division having coached the Titans all those years, and I believe is not currently tied up in other employment. What are your thoughts?

So you want the Colts to win every superbowl over the next decade or at least 4-5 of them and the other ones be in but just lose?

so you want the colts to just play good enough to win but lose in the playoffs year after year and not improve at all?? in fact we are not improving we are heading the opposite way instead. its not cause we dont have talent on the team and its not the whole salary cap thing either. when you have a HC who obviously doesnt care if we win or lose and wont make adjustments at all. and a defensive coordinator who with our best player on defense makes him run teh full distance of our defensive line every other down instead of bull rushing or going after the qb like he should, AND has our linebackers, safeties, and corners play ten to fifteen yards back off the ball then drop back another fifteen yards and expect the other team to not pass to their recievers that sit in that huge gaping hole to get first downs very game and not change his play calling to stop it. i is the coaching plain and simple they suck and our glorious gm is blind to it and is happy with them. when we finally get eliminated from getting luck then what? well probably go after a smal Rb again or a small reciever. when we all want a big rb or a big wr to dominate at that position.or even a shut down corner but what good is that when they will use him incorrectly and play him 15 yards off the wr at every snap......