Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis The Best Ever?

Dark Superman

I've been a Colts fan for 20+ years and I honestly can't remember us having a more solid corner that was overall better than Davis?

Ray Buchanan comes to mind...

But in overall skill set I think Davis is as close to a complete corner that I could ever remember us having..

I'm really hoping we resign him..

I just wish he was healthy, Thats 1 of the reasons I dont think us Colts fans are seeing what this kid can really do among a couple others

He did practice in full today I believe which is a great sign..

And Bowe is cleared to play so we are going to need Davis out there on Saturday.

I've been a Colts fan for 20+ years and I honestly can't remember us having a more solid corner that was overall better than Davis?

But in overall skill set I think Davis is as close to a complete corner that I could ever remember us having..

I have been a Colt fan for 40 years and no Davis is not the best corner ever. The most inconsistent maybe. The best skill set probably!! I think Davis either plays really GOOD, or REALLY BAD. Certainly much better of late. Buchanan, Harper, Jackson, Hayden, Powers, Daniels just off the top of my head were more consistent. Best ability Davis for sure, but ability is only as good as what you do with it. Maybe its because the other guys played in Tampa 2 and your trying NOT to get beat, but Davis has skills his he a true #1 I am not sure?

Eugene Daniel comes to mind as the best "ever" colt corner. Davis is too new for me personally to consider best anything, as I haven't seen enough of him yet to determine that. Good, yes. Shutdown? Possibly. It's time to show that now.Oh and besides "Big play Ray", I always liked the play of Ashley Ambrose as well.

Yeah big play Ray was so good at the INT's 

He's only really had 2 bad games all season (vs ST Louis and @Houston) while he might have been dealing with a groin injury at the time.

Right. The OP was saying he was the best Colts CB that he remembers. I have to agree.

Kind of illustrates that we haven't had great ones. I know that in the Tampa 2 years, the need wasn't as great.

This group, Davis, Butler, Toler, and even Gordy, has to be the deepest in talent that we've had since 06. And we have a former DPotW as a last resort.

I've been a fan since day 1 of the Colts arrival in Indy and Davis is without doubt one of the top CB's the Colts have had since being here. BTW, Hayden, Jackson, Harper, and Buchanon aren't even in Davis' ballpark as far as talent. Davis has had some shakey games but it's due to injury.

I don't remember a season when we played this much man coverage and press man coverage so it's hard to compare our corners  play this year to past corners. Playing cover corner is really a different position than playing a Tampa 2 zone corner or a generic zone corner. The willingness to play press coverage so much is the thing about our defense I like the most and gives me the most hope for building the "monster" over the next few years. Can you image if we had some shut down corners and an offensive line where Luck had a generous amount of time to throw? I don't think we would lose.

I've been a fan since day 1 of the Colts arrival in Indy and Davis is without doubt one of the top CB's the Colts have had since being here. BTW, Hayden, Jackson, Harper, and Buchanon aren't even in Davis' ballpark as far as talent. Davis has had some shakey games but it's due to injury.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to laugh at the names listed and think they even come close to that of Davis'. Hell, I would take Butler and Toler as well over any past corners the Colts have had.

Funny how that worked out. Coaching made all the difference for him. I remember how he used to get abused on the field and then on these boards.

??? He's still not good. Quit looking at just his stats. I believe 7 of his 8 interceptions last year were uncontested by the receiver. Had Luck not badly underthrown 2 balls last year in the Chicago game Jennings would have been burnt bad both times.