Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playing man to man in the secondary is key to our playoff run!

steveeoaktree33

Have been on the film-watching phase again and started to see how much more our defense is because we play bump and run - man to man coverages. It opens up the D-line and Linebackers to do many more things. Blitzing, disguising coverage dropbacks, and run- stuffing with 6 or 7 instead of playing the dreaded soft zones. Our secondary is, in my opinion, key to a Championship run with our ability to break on the ball and intercept/knockdown passes. The hard-hitting tandem of Bethea and Landry also begins to get into the receivers minds after a couple of their hard hits. Toler, Davis, Butler, Bethea, and Landry play lights-out -- we win.

Have been on the film-watching phase again and started to see how much more our defense is because we play bump and run - man to man coverages. It opens up the D-line and Linebackers to do many more things. Blitzing, disguising coverage dropbacks, and run- stuffing with 6 or 7 instead of playing the dreaded soft zones. Our secondary is, in my opinion, key to a Championship run with our ability to break on the ball and intercept/knockdown passes. The hard-hitting tandem of Bethea and Landry also begins to get into the receivers minds after a couple of their hard hits. Toler, Davis, Butler, Bethea, and Landry play lights-out -- we win.

I completely agree. Our secondary has been very good this season.

On the reverse side-- we played KC two weeks ago and they played a soft coverage. I've watched them through NFL Game Rewind and noticed that they were much more agressive in man coverage against the Broncos. They were fast, physical, and disruptive. This is what I expect to see on Saturday. We need to be ready.

Those knock out punch them in the mouth games we have won this year. We need 3 of those in a row and we will be sitting in the sb. If we can out punch San Fran, Denver, Seattle, kc and sweep out division we can make it to the sb if we play that way next 3 weeks.

Yes for sure. Griggo stated that he wanted corners that can cover without help (Butler, Davis, Toler) and safties that can cover AND have a physical presence (Landry). Our "D" reminds me of the '95 team "D" that carried us to the AFCCG. Good point btw on the crossing routes, but I think we've gotten better at that as the season has progressed.