Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Could Of Had..

Dark Superman

We seem to be just fine when it comes to OLBers. Does Jones play DE in the 3-4?

I imagine he'd cost to much for a luxury-like pick. Can anyone see us picking up Jones with Redding and RJF at DE or with Mathis, Walden, Werner at OLB? In a couple of years I can see him being a need but not right now.

If we could afford him, I'd love the pick up, as long as other needs are filled.

Yeah, Jones would be an end/tackle in our front. He'd be a good player for us, but like you, I think he'd be a luxury addition. We still have Redding, RJF, and Hughes was coming along. I think we can use some young depth at end/tackle, but I don't think we should spend the $6-8m/year on Jones.

Was Edge really that superior to Ricky Williams?

:JAM177189.jpg

Edgerrin James  

Height: 6-0   Weight: 219   Age: 35

Born: 8/1/1978 Immokalee , FL

College: Miami (Fla.)

Experience: 11 Seasons

CAR

YDS

AVG

TDS

WIL271115.jpg

Ricky Williams  

Height: 5-10   Weight: 230   Age: 36

Born: 5/21/1977 San Diego , CA

College: Texas

Experience: 12 Seasons

CAR

YDS

AVG

TDS

See the number of carries, the reason Edge was better has something to do with that stat. Availability is the best ability, Edge didn't have a mid career hiatus to have a love affair with Mary Jane.

Also James had about 800 more yards receiving and was widely regarded as 1 of the best pass blocking RBs during his career.

Yeah, Jones would be an end/tackle in our front. He'd be a good player for us, but like you, I think he'd be a luxury addition. We still have Redding, RJF, and Hughes was coming along. I think we can use some young depth at end/tackle, but I don't think we should spend the $6-8m/year on Jones.

I hate to ask, because I think he's a very good player, but do you think letting Redding go to get Jones would be a good move? How many years do you think Redding will play at a high level?

I hate to ask, because I think he's a very good player, but do you think letting Redding go to get Jones would be a good move? How many years do you think Redding will play at a high level?

Don't be afraid to ask, that was the point of this thread. If others want to make it about missing on draft picks, that's on them. I quit trying to explain it to them.

I think Redding has a few good years left and no one can deny his enthusiasm and what it does for the team. But IMHO Jones would be an upgrade on the other side. I'm not saying he's a break the bank type of guy, but at a reasonable price he would help.

It might be a net positive on the field, probably would lose some intangibles that Redding brings. But I don't think you should release a veteran leader with a reasonable cap hit so that you can go after another, higher paid player. That's a luxury move.

I think Hughes is in place as Redding's replacement after next season, when Redding's contract expires. We can add some veteran depth, and we should draft someone with the potential to start in a year or so (Deandre Coleman).

See the number of carries, the reason Edge was better has something to do with that stat. Availability is the best ability, Edge didn't have a mid career hiatus to have a love affair with Mary Jane.

Also James had about 800 more yards receiving and was widely regarded as 1 of the best pass blocking RBs during his career.

I was going to post this same thing but you beat me to it.

Don't be afraid to ask, that was the point of this thread. If others want to make it about missing on draft picks, that's on them. I quit trying to explain it to them.

I must have imagined the part where OP said 'we could have had X, but chose Y and Z instead.'

He's obviously a fan of Jones and thinks we should go after him in the future, but he should have left Angerer and Hughes out of it. I'm not sure why you're trying to convince the rest of us that he never brought them up.

I must have imagined the part where OP said 'we could have had X, but chose Y and Z instead.'

He's obviously a fan of Jones and thinks we should go after him in the future, but he should have left Angerer and Hughes out of it. I'm not sure why you're trying to convince the rest of us that he never brought them up.

Did I ever try to convince anyone of that? As a moderator, I would hope you wouldn't try to put words in anyone's mouth or make someone sound devisive.

Yes, he started out by saying he wished we didn't pass on this guy in the draft. Then he went on to say that now that he's going to be a FA he hoped we would go after him.

I'm never one of those "we should have" posters. If you read my posts, you'd agree. The past is over, let's look to the future.

Did I ever try to convince anyone of that? As a moderator, I would hope you wouldn't try to put words in anyone's mouth or make someone sound devisive.

Yes, he started out by saying he wished we didn't pass on this guy in the draft. Then he went on to say that now that he's going to be a FA he hoped we would go after him.

I'm never one of those "we should have" posters. If you read my posts, you'd agree. The past is over, let's look to the future.

As I said ... do yourself a favor and stop coming back to this. You are making a total buffoon out of yourself. 

Oh, stop it. I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth or making anyone sound any kind of way. Neither as a moderator nor as a poster who spends most his time here posting, not moderating. 

I get the intent of the OP. He should have left the Hughes/Angerer part out. It was misplaced and ill-conceived, and that's why others zeroed in on it, because it stood out like a sore thumb. 

Oh, stop it. I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth or making anyone sound any kind of way. Neither as a moderator nor as a poster who spends most his time here posting, not moderating. 

I get the intent of the OP. He should have left the Hughes/Angerer part out. It was misplaced and ill-conceived, and that's why others zeroed in on it, because it stood out like a sore thumb.

I'll respond to you, at least you're being respectful. I agree he should have left the players names out, suffice it to say that he wished we would have drafted him, and now we have a chance to get him.

Like I said, I don't like dealing with what ifs. That's why I was only talking about the FA part. I'm not telling you how to be a moderator, but shouldn't you be steering the thread to that part? There's no need to dwell on the negative part of his thread, is there?

I'll respond to you, at least you're being respectful. I agree he should have left the players names out, suffice it to say that he wished we would have drafted him, and now we have a chance to get him.

Like I said, I don't like dealing with what ifs. That's why I was only talking about the FA part. I'm not telling you how to be a moderator, but shouldn't you be steering the thread to that part? There's no need to dwell on the negative part of his thread, is there?

Ironically, the reason I've spent the time I've spent talking about it is because I felt compelled to respond to you. I found your insistence that he wasn't saying we should have drafted Jones instead of the other two strange, to say the least. I get that the OP wants us to sign Jones, but the premise of the thread was how we could have drafted him instead of Hughes and Angerer. It's not shocking that other posters would pick up on and respond to that. He brought it up.

I personally don't like steering threads in any direction. People talk about what they want to talk about, despite the original purpose of the thread. The only time I really steer a thread is if I'm the OP, or as a moderator when it's veering into a topic that's not board appropriate. 

I don't like dealing with what-ifs, either, though it can be fun to think about a redraft based on what we now know. 

Ironically, the reason I've spent the time I've spent talking about it is because I felt compelled to respond to you. I found your insistence that he wasn't saying we should have drafted Jones instead of the other two strange, to say the least. I get that the OP wants us to sign Jones, but the premise of the thread was how we could have drafted him instead of Hughes and Angerer. It's not shocking that other posters would pick up on and respond to that. He brought it up.

I personally don't like steering threads in any direction. People talk about what they want to talk about, despite the original purpose of the thread. The only time I really steer a thread is if I'm the OP, or as a moderator when it's veering into a topic that's not board appropriate. 

I don't like dealing with what-ifs, either, though it can be fun to think about a redraft based on what we now know.

Lol! Okay, I'll leave it at this: I guess I wasn't clear in my posts. I was never trying to say anything about his first two sentences. That's why I kept trying to point out the intent of his thread was to talk about the FA. It seemed like others chose to ignore that part.

Peace.

My bad, we missed out first go around but he's up for fa. Gotcha!

Yeah and we also understand what he's trying to say about not drafting a guy at  pick 31 because a better player went at pick 157. As I also said before , we could have had Antonio Brown at pick 168 (approx) in the same draft and would not be looking for WR help.

Hughes was pick 31 , Angerer was pick 63 . Our first and second round picks. 

Jones was Baltimore's 2nd pick in the 5th round. Selected at pick 157.

i don't really get what you are trying to say. There were 94 times that teams passed between Angerer and Jones. No idea of what Hughes has to do with taking Jones in the 5th . 

Do you want to say we should have selected  him with our 4th round pick instead of McClendon at 129 ? 

OK... I guess that's what we should have done. We also should have passed on Brody Eldridge in the 5th (same draft) and taken Antonio Brown who went to Pittsburgh in the 6th. 

Do you want me to find a stud we passed on at guard or center next ?

exactly what i was thinking, but didn't think it was worth responding.

My bad, we missed out first go around but he's up for fa. Gotcha!

Yeah, that's kind of the point.  I've heard many coaches say they don't want to reveal their draft board after it's over because they may want to go after guys they missed later when their rookie contracts end.  They spend a lot of time evaluating guys on the board, and sometimes they'll follow them when they're on other teams to see how they've progressed.

I'm not sure he was one of the guys on our board, or if we even brought him in for a workout.  I wouldn't mind him starting opposite Cory on our line though.  Again - only if the price was right.

Whenever you look at a trade, you can't look at it in a vacumn. You need to look at the team. Hughes was not in a scheme he liked, plus he is playing with Williams on one side, there other defensive end is Anderson i believe who is very good, and there nose tackle who i can't remember the name was the number three pick two years ago from Alabama and is a beast. There line demands a lot of attention, and has freed up Hughes for blitzes and one on ones. He has played really well, but scheme has made a difference. Same reason I did not want to spend a ton of money on Kruger last year, and I am glad we did not. With Ngata Hali, Suggs, Ray Lewis, and others, they had a great front seven which freed up Kruger, inflating his numbers. You always need to consider this when signing FA's, and I am glad to say we did last year. Offensive line is much easier to evaluate. Scheme matters, zone or man to man, but easier to judge. We did a really good job of signing many last year at good cost, although we overpaid Cherilus a little, but he has been very good. Everyone gave us such grief for Walden, but the reason Grigs and Pagano wanted him was he set the side. They could judge that skill, and the 4M which seemed excessive turned out to be a good acquisition. FA and what team they are on, scheme they play in, and who they play besides needs to be considered as much sometimes as the player themselves!