Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Excellent analysis of TRich/Alabama RBs.

Dustin

You don't need that to run the ball. Green Bay's problem was having a commitment to the running game imo.

That's the point I was trying to make. Why "show" run when you don't have to to run the ball. I think the Colts have ran better, more exclusively Trent, when they aren't showing their hand per se. On top of that Pep/Pagano/whoever is trying to do and be something we really aren't, yet. Once the line can consistently go head on and win against any Dline, sure be THAT team then, but until then the creativeness, to a point, is going to have to be there in order to remain effective.

That's the point I was trying to make. Why "show" run when you don't have to to run the ball. I think the Colts have ran better, more exclusively Trent, when they aren't showing their hand per se. On top of that Pep/Pagano/whoever is trying to do and be something we really aren't, yet. Once the line can consistently go head on and win against any Dline, sure be THAT team then, but until then the creativeness, to a point, is going to have to be there in order to remain effective.

That point didn't make sense when using Ingram as an example

no one is mentioning the transition between their collegiate success to the NFL.go from being a Heisman winner or runner up and winning championships to being drafted very high. being expected to fill shoes of a legend in Cleveland. I can't imagine the amount of pressure Every one of these kids were having. let alone having your team give up on you only one year into your career. I believe the psychological aspect of it was almost as much as the physical aspect of it. let him have an offseason to get acclimated in indy. I'm excited for things to come.

I guess I misinterpreted what you were saying about Ingram then. Apologies... Ingram is averaging 5 ypc so I thought it fit into what I was trying to say..

Is he really? Didn't know that. Just know he has been a disappointment thus far.

Cleveland ran zone last season, and TRich still wasn't particularly impressive.

Rick Venturi thinks the scheme excuse is a bunch of hooey....not that he is always correct.

Bama ran Zone when Richardson was there with some power tied in from what I see, The scheme excuse is hooey, Trent did not have to do alot of improving by having good vision at Bama, Most of it was get the hand off run where the play is designed to go and get positive yards, I think he improves with more consistent interior O Line play

Is he really? Didn't know that. Just know he has been a disappointment thus far.

75 carries this year for 366 yards this year, 156 carries last year for 602 yards (3.9 ypc).......122 carries for 474 yards his rookie year (3.9 ypc).....He's in a pass happy offense

75 carries this year for 366 yards this year, 156 carries last year for 602 yards (3.9 ypc).......122 carries for 474 yards his rookie year (3.9 ypc).....He's in a pass happy offense

I know he is in a pass happy offense, but 3.9 ypc for a first round pick you traded up for doesn't cut it.

I know he is in a pass happy offense, but 3.9 ypc for a first round pick you traded up for doesn't cut it.

Meh. He needs touches on a team with more balance before judgement is passed down on him, According to the team website he has carried for a 4.08 average for his career.....rounded up 4.1, They dont throw to him out of the backfield often either ......33 career targets for a guy that had 60 catches at Bama and 4 td's

Meh. He needs touches on a team with more balance before judgement is passed down on him, According to the team website he has carried for a 4.08 average for his career.....rounded up 4.1, They dont throw to him out of the backfield often either ......33 career targets for a guy that had 60 catches at Bama and 4 td's

Undrafted Pierre Thomas is averaging 4.6 for his career in NO. I agree they should commit to the run more, but I don't think Ingram gives them anymore than the other backs they have had over the years.

Undrafted Pierre Thomas is averaging 4.6 for his career in NO. I agree they should commit to the run more, but I don't think Ingram gives them anymore than the other backs they have had over the years.

"but I don't think Ingram gives them anymore than the other backs they have had over the years."

Maybe not but NO isn't the right place to come to that conclusion honestly. Really I think if he was here in Indy given our offensive philosophy then I think the conclusion could be reached that he wont be anything close to the price spent on him          

Donald Brown came out of a zone stretch running scheme in college and he was not particularly successful in his first couple of years running out of a zone stretch when Peyton was here.  He honestly runs better now that we have switched to power.

I'm not going to use the zone running scheme excuse for trent.  He's showed some good runs at times, he just needs to get more comfortable and knowledgeable with the scheme.  Tony Dungy was asked what the issue was and he blamed it more on the O Line than anything else. I think the O Line has been the biggest issue for him, although I think a nice portion can be put on his shoulders as well.

Donald Brown came out of a zone stretch running scheme in college and he was not particularly successful in his first couple of years running out of a zone stretch when Peyton was here.  He honestly runs better now that we have switched to power.

I'm not going to use the zone running scheme excuse for trent.  He's showed some good runs at times, he just needs to get more comfortable and knowledgeable with the scheme.  Tony Dungy was asked what the issue was and he blamed it more on the O Line than anything else. I think the O Line has been the biggest issue for him, although I think a nice portion can be put on his shoulders as well.

I thought Brown came out of a power running scheme at UConn? I've heard that numerous times around this board.

I thought Brown came out of a power running scheme at UConn? I've heard that numerous times around this board.

It's possible I could be wrong, but everything I see in this video and others I've seen of him in college

suggest zone to me.  I don't see much power/man blocking going on.  It's mostly the line blocking in

unison towards the sideline trying to create a crease.  I don't see a lot of pulling guards/fullbacks and

the other types of things you will see in a power blocking scheme.

Scheme certainly matters to Andrew Luck. Look how well he is playing now that Pep is spreading things out more. Some of you are implying RBs are dumb and strong and should be productive immediately regardless of scheme. Chances are if a RB is successful, he has some good blocking...period. Doug Martin lit it up last year, but this year he wasn't good even before he got injured. I had him on my FF team.