Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Dwayne Allen be a top 3 Tight End?

BlueCollarColts

Guest TeamLoloJones
Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - bickering
Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - bickering

It takes two doesn't it?

I've just asked for some independent analysis from you which supports your contention. I asked that knowing full well it would not be provided. It won't be provided because it can't. It can't because it doesn't exist. It doesn't exist because no one else on this planet believes that.

You were provided independent analysis and you didn't like it.  You are a sore loser.  Move along.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes two doesn't it?

I've just asked for some independent analysis from you which supports your contention. I asked that knowing full well it would not be provided. It won't be provided because it can't. It can't because it doesn't exist. It doesn't exist because no one else on this planet believes that.

So what's your ultimate point? Dwayne Allen isn't the best blocking tight end in the league? Or do you contend that he's not one of the best blocking tight ends in the league? 

I don't take PFF's ratings as gospel; I often disagree with their methods and conclusions, as a matter of fact. But one thing they do is grade every single play and come up with some real world rankings of how well players perform, and while their ratings don't mean that any one player is the best at something, they do shed light on who is doing what well. 

And while it's impossible to quantify exactly who is the best at any one thing in sports, you can acknowledge that some players are among the best. Dwayne Allen is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league. I think that's good enough to make all this petulant back and forth totally irrelevant.

But I get the feeling you're only going to fall back on this weird argument that every NFC West tight end is a better blocker than Allen out of some sort of necessity (as if necessity in any way equates to actual performance; if it did, then every defensive back in the AFC West is better than the DBs in other divisions out of necessity, which is absolute hogwash).

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - offtopic/trolling/bickering/quoted removed post. I'm removing several posts
Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - offtopic/trolling/bickering/quoted removed post. I'm removing several posts

So what's your ultimate point? Dwayne Allen isn't the best blocking tight end in the league? Or do you contend that he's not one of the best blocking tight ends in the league? 

I don't take PFF's ratings as gospel; I often disagree with their methods and conclusions, as a matter of fact. But one thing they do is grade every single play and come up with some real world rankings of how well players perform, and while their ratings don't mean that any one player is the best at something, they do shed light on who is doing what well. 

And while it's impossible to quantify exactly who is the best at any one thing in sports, you can acknowledge that some players are among the best. Dwayne Allen is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league. I think that's good enough to make all this petulant back and forth totally irrelevant.

But I get the feeling you're only going to fall back on this weird argument that every NFC West tight end is a better blocker than Allen out of some sort of necessity (as if necessity in any way equates to actual performance; if it did, then every defensive back in the AFC West is better than the DBs in other divisions out of necessity, which is absolute hogwash).

We're not even sure what he's actually debating (blocking, run/pass, overall?).

We're not even sure what he's actually debating (blocking, run/pass, overall?).

What I'm saying is that the comment that he's the best blocking tight end in the entire NFL is an opinion which can't be supported with fact.  

Also, at no time did I get rude with any of you.

You were provided independent analysis and you didn't like it.  You are a sore loser.  Move along.

There was no independent analysis provided.  Actually I provided an independent analysis piece early in this thread which backed up my view.  Scroll back.....

What I'm saying is that the comment that he's the best blocking tight end in the entire NFL is an opinion which can't be supported with fact.  

Also, at no time did I get rude with any of you.

I know. I didn't take offense to anything you said. I'm actually an easy going poster.

Guest TeamLoloJones
Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - offtopic/trolling/bickering/quoted removed post. I'm removing several posts
Hidden by Nadine, December 27, 2013 - offtopic/trolling/bickering/quoted removed post. I'm removing several posts

There was no independent analysis provided.  Actually I provided an independent analysis piece early in this thread which backed up my view.  Scroll back.....

How was the PFF chart that Dustin provided not independent analysis?  And don't say you don't take them seriously, because NFL teams take them seriously. 

I think what will make Allen elite will be 2 things.  (aside from his blocking skills which for a TE at his age are extraordinary)

1.  His smarts.  Not many TE's that are physically gifted blockers have the know how to extend into the flat and run route combo like he did in Arian's offense.  His adaptation was remarkable and in Pep's offense he will see the field a WHOLE lot more than alot of the other skill positions because he can do everything Pep wants, and he can do it very very good.

2.  His time on the field.  He is just flat out going to be on the field more than most TEs because of what has been stated in 1 :-).

I'm excited to see him with a vastly improved Fleener....  IT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME! :blueshoe:

How was the PFF chart that Dustin provided not independent analysis?  And don't say you don't take them seriously, because NFL teams take them seriously.

Exactly ... no one is saying that PFF is last word when it comes to the NFL, but you can't just dismiss them like someone is referencing B/R.  Plenty if reputable organizations/people/sites use these stats ... even the analysts often reference PFF stats.

Exactly ... no one is saying that PFF is last word when it comes to the NFL, but you can't just dismiss them like someone is referencing B/R. Plenty if reputable organizations/people/sites use these stats ... even the analysts often reference PFF stats.

analysts that use pff should be fired