Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton only needs 6 more TD's to break record but.....

sfergson727

And I have a clear poly bag full of paper shreds from the Giants Super Bowl parade, which my best mate and loyal Giants fan sent to me as a keep sake....

".......and a miracle catch by David Tyreeeeeeeee......"

I'm not supposed to tell you this, but... hey, it's almost Christmas. 

Those shreds of paper weren't from the parade. 

porta-potty-inside-4027666121_afba4ec9c2

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning in 2009 was 14-0 with backup WRs and a new head coach, they could have gone 16-0 easily not for benching the starters. No one really cares about the 16-0.

nonsense..  If they "easily" could have done it, then they should have...  but they didn't, and therefor they don't deserve to get praise for something that they DID NOT accomplish.

/smh

and to suggest that no one cares about a perfect season is ridiculous... that was being hyped so much all year long and throughout the playoffs.. it would have been the single greatest season in NFL history had they managed to hold the Giants off late in the 4th quarter..   Only 1 team has ever done it and that was when the season was 3 games shorter than it is now and will most likely never happen again because of how difficult it is to win consistently every week in the NFL... any given Sunday something can go horribly wrong and cost you a game, just by a bounce or two of the ball.

nonsense..  If they "easily" could have done it, then they should have...  but they didn't, and therefor they don't deserve to get praise for something that they DID NOT accomplish.

/smh

and to suggest that no one cares about a perfect season is ridiculous... that was being hyped so much all year long and throughout the playoffs.. it would have been the single greatest season in NFL history had they managed to hold the Giants off late in the 4th quarter..   Only 1 team has ever done it and that was when the season was 3 games shorter than it is now and will most likely never happen again because of how difficult it is to win consistently every week in the NFL... any given Sunday something can go horribly wrong and cost you a game, just by a bounce or two of the ball.

Did you read the part where it says, they rested the starters. It's coach's decision. More you type more ignorant you look questioning that Colts team which were 14-0.

Woulda, coulda blah blah.

Got a beat down from Giants. 14 grand total points. B E A T D OW N.

Regarding the whole 16-0 thing:

The players cared. The fans cared. The front office and conservative coaching didn't give a rats rear and it * a lot of people off.

If the office didn't shackle the dogs, Indy goes 16-0 and who knows after that. We were beating the Jets and, seriously,  after that was Buffalo. Buffalo. BUFFALO.

Hyper conservatism...ugh.

Regarding the whole 16-0 thing:

The players cared. The fans cared. The front office and conservative coaching didn't give a rats rear and it * a lot of people off.

If the office didn't shackle the dogs, Indy goes 16-0 and who knows after that. We were beating the Jets and, seriously,  after that was Buffalo. Buffalo. BUFFALO.

Hyper conservatism...ugh.

The worst part is you let the Jets in the playoffs which has allowed Ryan to keep his job all this time.

the colts didn't lose to the jets that year. They lost to the saints in the super bowl

The Jets beat us when Painter came in for the second half and we sat a good chunk of our starters, making us 14-1.

We then beat the Jets in the AFC Championship where, in garbage time, Freeney got injured. If we didn't literally let the Jets in to the playoffs there is a good chance Freeney is not injured for the Super Bowl. When Freeney vanished, so did our pass rush and Brees stepped up and killed us the entire second half. Freeney did well for the first half, but his injury became very apparent in the second half as getting your ankle juiced up can only take you so far through a game.

Of course, if we didn't let the Jets in we'd likely have faced the Chargers in the playoffs instead of the Jets, and we all know how well we matched up with them.

Right but had you beat the Jets like you should have then Ryan never gets in and he is probably fired after his second year ....

2009 was his first year with the jets. And had they not made the playoffs, we wouldn't have been able to watch the colts beat them in the afccg

Right and no playoffs and he is probably gone after year two. Instead it gave the belief that Sanchez was actually a good QB.

he took them to the afccg in his second year as well. So the regular season win against the colts 09 had zero bearing on his employment in any capacity what so ever

he took them to the afccg in his second year as well. So the regular season win against the colts 09 had zero bearing on his employment in any capacity what so ever

Not sure they get there in 2010 if they sit out like they should have in 2009. They were the last seed both times I believe.

I live in the Boston area and so far on the national level (ESPN, Sports Illustrated, NFL Network) I've read and heard more about the Broncos with Peyton and Welker than I have about anyone else.

Breaking offensive records isn't that impressive anymore ever since the Bill Polian who sat on the rules committee demanded that the 5 yard rule be enforced and since then we seen a 60% increase in pass interference calls against the defense and offensive numbers have exploded.  Who benefits from this?  Well Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers do.  You don't like all these calls the Pats get?  You think the Pats get unfair advantage with pass interference calls?  Blame Bill Polian.

Former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira agrees.  

Pereira says emphasis on illegal contact "didn't seem logical" 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/10/pereira-says-emphasis-on-illegal-contact-didnt-seem-logical/

(Interview was taken in 2010, it's gotten worse since.)

Blame Bill Polian.

I do. Illegal contact is a terrible rule.

There are plenty of other ones, too. Spot of the foul PI should be 5 yards without an automatic first down. It's too much of a judgement call and has greatly effected the outcome of many games. If nothing else, all PI needs to be reviewable since sometimes it's called when, quite blatantly, the offensive (or defensive) player was never even touched.

Personal fouls should all be reviewed automatically. Also I think blocks in the back should be personal fouls, due to how dangerous they can be.

Holding is another god awful rule and one players commit regularly. Refs decide to throw the flag when they "think" it "might" effect the outcome of a play. What kinda crap is that? It just needs to go. Either let everything go or actually call it every time a player is held. Preferably the former.

TL/DR all this judgement stuff needs to take a hike, and huge calls like roughing the QB, hitting a defenseless receiver, and PI all  need to be at least reviewable. Players shouldn't be punished on obvious clean hits/tackles when reviewed.

I live in the Boston area and so far on the national level (ESPN, Sports Illustrated, NFL Network) I've read and heard more about the Broncos with Peyton and Welker than I have about anyone else.

Breaking offensive records isn't that impressive anymore ever since the Bill Polian who sat on the rules committee demanded that the 5 yard rule be enforced and since then we seen a 60% increase in pass interference calls against the defense and offensive numbers have exploded.  Who benefits from this?  Well Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers do.  You don't like all these calls the Pats get?  You think the Pats get unfair advantage with pass interference calls?  Blame Bill Polian.

Pereira says emphasis on illegal contact "didn't seem logical" 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/10/pereira-says-emphasis-on-illegal-contact-didnt-seem-logical/

Pass interference and illegal contact aren't the same thing

I do. Illegal contact is a terrible rule. So is spot of the foul PI - should be 5 yards without an automatic first down. Too much of a judgement call.

If nothing else, all PI needs to be reviewable. Personal fouls should all be reviewed automatically.

I hate spot of the foul too. I prefer the 15 yard penalty in college.

I don't want penalties reviewed by the booth. But I do think coaches should be able to challenge penalties within their allotment of 2 challenges.

Breaking offensive records isn't that impressive anymore ever since the Bill Polian who sat on the rules committee demanded that the 5 yard rule be enforced and since then we seen a 60% increase in pass interference calls against the defense and offensive numbers have exploded. Who benefits from this? Well Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers do. You don't like all these calls the Pats get? You think the Pats get unfair advantage with pass interference calls? Blame Bill Polian.

Pereira says emphasis on illegal contact "didn't seem logical"

I'm not sure if you know this, but illegal contact and PI are not the same thing. Also, how does one person on a commitee (multiple people) demand anything. They vote on these things FYI

I agree about the 15 yd penalty except if the foul occurs in the end zone. PI can get rediculous sometimes. The 5 yd rule is a good one I think because I don't want to see guys get rode like horses down the field. That said if its a penalty on the defense to grab touch the offensive player in making a move it should be equally called OFFENSIVE interference when the wr pushes off (a ton). 

I will say they added the RB lowering his head outside the tackles using his helmet as battering ram and I haven't seen that one called ONCE....and I also think RBs get away with WAY to many stiff arms to the face....should be a penalty too...ok....on with the games!!

They need to ban hits to the head and diving for the knees.  You can't remove that 100% out of the NFL but you can limit it greatly with severe fines and suspensions and the NFL needs to give teams specific and clear instructions on how to implement it.

If you want big hits than the best type of hit that doesn't cause much injuries are shoulder to shoulder hits.  Hitting with your shoulder is fine as long as it's above the knees and below the neck.  If you're trying to chase down a player and you're running behind him then you can dive for his feet to trip him up, that's fine.  Best way to tackle is with a bear hug.  Bear hugging a players legs around the knees is fine too, just don't use your whole body to launch yourself at someone's knees.  There needs to be more emphasis on using the arms to tackle properly.  NFL needs to emphasis "arm tackling".  It's best for both the offensive player and defensive player and less likely for either player to be injured.

On a separate note.  Are more injuries caused on artificial turf or grass?

Not then, but do you think the Jets would have kept him for this season (with a new GM, mind you... Tannenbaum is gone) if he hadn't taken them to two back-to-back AFC Championship Games? Without that on his resume, I don't think Ryan would have kept his job for 2013. And without that 2009 playoff berth that was gifted to them, they wouldn't have had the opportunity to advance to the postseason. 

It's neither here nor there at this stage of the game, but I would say it had a bearing on Ryan's career. For sure.