Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do we look so flat in the first half?

snkdy

I just don't get it. I thought that this trend would have died down by now, but it hasn't. We saw what this offense was capable of in the second half. Why can't we play that well from the start? Are the players just unmotivated? Is it the coaching? Whatever the cause, someone needs to fix it and soon.

Andrew has played Poorly including not moving around in/ or moving out of the pocket like last year. And he is just not an accurate pocket passer YET.
Do these receivers Practice route running?

Red Alert Today--- Rogers Does apparently. yee ha and Hands too. Brazill set himself up nicely a couple times. Great job younguns. We know Andrew will appreciate it.

NOW back to your ? The usual stuff:

Pass blocking

Run blocking

Slow TRich
        More Reitz-No McGlynn
        More McNary
        More  Chapman & Hughes-NO Mathews much less Moala
        More Werner

Go Colts!

No one knows why the team gets off to a slow start including the coaches. They've pretty much stated that unfortunately. Basically "Well uhhhhh we uhh don't really acknowledge the slow starts anymore, yeahhhhh mkay. We've tried to do something about it but they continue to happen so we really don't need to talk about them anymore."

Andrew has played Poorly including not moving around in/ or moving out of the pocket like last year. And he is just not an accurate pocket passer YET.

Do these receivers Practice route running?

Red Alert Today--- Rogers Does apparently. yee ha and Hands too. Brazill set himself up nicely a couple times. Great job younguns. We know Andrew will appreciate it.

NOW back to your ? The usual stuff:

Pass blocking

Run blocking

Slow TRich

More Reitz-No McGlynn

More McNary

More  Chapman & Hughes-NO Mathews much less Moala

More Werner

Go Colts!

I agree with a lot of the things on your list, but I wouldn't blame Andrew. In my opinion, he has had a few terrible games in the past month, yes, but today wasn't one of them.

Slow starts because we couldn't run against their D.

Slow starts because we aren't clicking with our receivers.

However, I feel like Andrew & Da'Rick are clicking, just took too long in the game. I have the feeling we will have points on the board next week before half. That sounds terrible, but we need it bad.

As a fan sitting in the EZ chair it just appears they aren't ready to play. The 49er and Bronco games they came out fired up from the get go. The rest have been grinds other than pulling away from Jacksonville after a slow start. They continue to squander opportunities such as good starting field position and keeping teams pinned back by great punting/coverage from McAfee and Sergio Brown. While its great to not panic and always believe you have a chance the first 30 minutes of football are just as important as the last 30..very frustrating to watch I might add   

He was junk in the 1st half. Had some decent time to throw actually, sans McGlynn.

Samo off target, late, held on to the ball, and not alert in the pocket is how i would describe it.

Some Critical way off target throws in the 2nd half too.

Nothing New, from day 1.

this is wrong

I really think the most fundamental problem with our slow starts is that the play calling is geared towards getting first downs via 3 short gains and taking the ball down the field in many short chunks and we start the game with that exact strategy every game. Once we get behind and the clock and a limited number of possessions become a factor then we try to move the ball down the field in bigger chunks and have success. I think that while we are sometimes helped because teams with the lead tend to trade yardage for no quick score and making the opponent take time to score making it easier to move the ball, I also think teams know that at the beginning of the game we are always running plays that are going to be near the line of scrimmage pass or run and as a result the defense is bold in playing up and tight to the line of scrimmage. Finally just listen to the language that the coaches constantly use about how important it is to get a good gain on first and second downs so we can get to third and short....... WHY? They always say we need to stay "on time" (what?). For heavens sake lets try to get the next first down on first down and try to take the ball down the ball down the field without having to convert so many third downs. Weren't we like 0/6 on third down at one point today? The coaching staff has acknowledged we have really not been good on third down conversions on this streak yet they keep running an offensive strategy that puts us in many third down situations.

I just don't get it. I thought that this trend would have died down by now, but it hasn't. We saw what this offense was capable of in the second half. Why can't we play that well from the start? Are the players just unmotivated? Is it the coaching? Whatever the cause, someone needs to fix it and soon.

Because Pep Hamilton wants to keep Luck healthy and call run plays. Then once the Colts go down by 20+, he calls more pass plays and lets Luck be in control of the offence which is why they can only score in the second half.

Because Pep Hamilton wants to keep Luck healthy and call run plays. Then once the Colts go down by 20+, he calls more pass plays and lets Luck be in control of the offence which is why they can only score in the second half.

Its odd T-G

The recipe was to create an offense that would not let Luck get hit so much

He's been hit more this year than he was last season and the offensive results are not as good..

..We might as well go back to being the 'downfield' 300-yards passing a game team we were last year...

..because lining up with a fullback and a TE and running between the tackles early in games does not work against better teams

Its odd T-G

The recipe was to create an offense that would not let Luck get hit so much

He's been hit more this year than he was last season and the offensive results are not as good..

..We might as well go back to being the 'downfield' 300-yards passing a game team we were last year...

..because lining up with a fullback and a TE and running between the tackles early in games does not work against better teams

The Colts should do what the New Orleans Saints do. The Saints only run the ball to run out the clock in the 4th or sneak in a run play to keep the defense honest. It works because they are a playoff team every year (except last year).