Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The biggest impact pass catcher in NFL history is...

chad72

He has played on some of the most decorated offenses of all time. I thought the article was going to be about how impact each of his catches make but this is just the impact of him mostly on the teams he has played on. Interesting read...one I'm sure AM will dispute once she she's who this is about.

interesting article, thanks for posting . . . I do enjoy CHFF, but at times they can come up with stats that are kind of self serving, meaning they try to come up with a stat that might seem separate and distinct from winning but it directly related to winning . . . for example . . .we found a new stat "point differential as the end of games" we have found that teams that have a positive point differential when the clock reads 0:00 win 100% of the time . .. well yes of coarse . . . in a world that is looking for the answer on how to improve themselves, people like CHFF try to come up with stats that seem inventive and earth shattering, but after one steps back and realizes it is kind of obvious  . . . "like we have found that teams that keep the opposing QB below a 50 QB rating usually win . . ." and so on . . . okay enough on that, but just wanted to give you all back ground on the site so as to understand what their articles are coming from . . .  

I like the article . . . I found interesting they did not mention his contribution to the Mia offense . . . not so sure if that offense was all worldly when he was there . . . nor did he address 2009 Pats teams which was near the end of Mosses tenor and before we got the two tightends . . .

Welker is great and certainly can make the engine run, but he also has been blessed to be on two great offenses in the prime of his career . . . also would be nice to see how Denver ends up . . .they have a good chance to break the all time scoring record, but they still have 8 games to play and have a few tough opponents to come . . .

interesting article, thanks for posting . . . I do enjoy CHFF, but at times they can come up with stats that are kind of self serving, meaning they try to come up with a stat that might seem separate and distinct from winning but it directly related to winning . . . for example . . .we found a new stat "point differential as the end of games" we have found that teams that have a positive point differential when the clock reads 0:00 win 100% of the time . .. well yes of coarse . . . in a world that is looking for the answer on how to improve themselves, people like CHFF try to come up with stats that seem inventive and earth shattering, but after one steps back and realizes it is kind of obvious  . . . "like we have found that teams that keep the opposing QB below a 50 QB rating usually win . . ." and so on . . . okay enough on that, but just wanted to give you all back ground on the site so as to understand what their articles are coming from . . .  

I like the article . . . I found interesting they did not mention his contribution to the Mia offense . . . not so sure if that offense was all worldly when he was there . . . nor did he address 2009 Pats teams which was near the end of Mosses tenor and before we got the two tightends . . .

Welker is great and certainly can make the engine run, but he also has been blessed to be on two great offenses in the prime of his career . . . also would be nice to see how Denver ends up . . .they have a good chance to break the all time scoring record, but they still have 8 games to play and have a few tough opponents to come . . .

I agree...but he was very young in MIA...willing to give him a pass...besides MIA is a train wreck since Dan left...just a fact...nothing good happens in MIA...almost like Cleveland lol....and I agree about DEN being all-time #1 is far from certain. They have an incredibly difficult second half...and while I do think they break the record and probably Peyton included...in the end...the SB I have no idea if they make it that far. Welker is an incredible talent...not sure what the analogy would be for him but he definately takes pressure off the offense..keeps the chains moving..and generally gives opposing defenses matchup nightmares. There is little you can do to shut him down....just keep him in front and keep his catches short of the sticks.

I would strongly disagree and say it should be Don Hutson.  In a time where no one in the league was throwing, Hutson was averaging nearly a TD per game (0.853 TDs/game), nearly 70 yards per game (68.89), and a career average of 16.4 yards per reception.  His stats from 1941 to 1944: 5.6 receptions per game, 85.5 yards per game, 1.12 TDs per game.  He had a ridiculous 1942 season where he posted 74 receptions for 1211 yards, and 17 TDs.  That comes to a per game average of 6.7 rec/game, 110.1 yards/game, 1.55 TD/game.  We get excited today when a player has a 10+ TD season or 1000+ yards in a pass-first league.  He played in the 1930s and 40s when no one ran the ball.  Not only that, but he also was the first of the downfield receivers and really helped to open up the forward passing game.  Welker has had the privilege of playing with Randy Moss and Tom Brady for a few years and now with Peyton Manning.

I would have to say Jerry Rice because he played in an era where you could get away with more physical contact vs the wideout. Plus, he was a key component for 2 different QBs to win a SB. 

I would say Wes Welker can make a case for the most impactful pass catcher in the current pass happy era but not in NFL history. That is where it is a bit distorted.

I'd put Steve Largent as one of the best pass catchers of all time. He's a better Welker.

I'll also add that when it came down to skills in football, there was probably no better receiver than Largent. Rice is a much better athlete than Largent but football IQ and football skills, Largent is just crazy good (and so is Rice obviously). Rice is the greatest player of all time though.

Its hard to tell how good those 49er teams would have been without him...but probably not SB teams. I will say....even though he gets on my nerves Michael Irving always made huge plays for Dallas....he just came up with big first downs and TDs. He made it so teams couldn't just pack the box on Smith and really balanced that offense out. But there are so many impactful wrs...statistically yes Welker makes since...but impactful to me also means championships...and he has none. Would be interesting if he gets one this year if he is considered HOFer.

Good grief. Wes Welker is not the most impactful receiver in Pats history much less NFL history. Troy Brown was the more impactful slot receiver and overall hard to argue with Morgan and Moss not being ahead of Welker as well. A receiver that averages 5-6 TDs a season for his entire time in NE is far from the most impactful player. Nor did he ever roll coverage but benefited from being flanked by Moss and then Gronk and Hernandez and now Decker and Thomas. The best thing you can probably say about it is that he stays healthy at his size and can run great routes. Hardly makes him the most impactful but kudos to CHFF for trying. Anything to pump up Denver I guess.

Good grief. Wes Welker is not the most impactful receiver in Pats history much less NFL history. Troy Brown was the more impactful slot receiver and overall hard to argue with Morgan and Moss not being ahead of Welker as well. A receiver that averages 5-6 TDs a season for his entire time in NE is far from the most impactful player. Nor did he ever roll coverage but benefited from being flanked by Moss and then Gronk and Hernandez and now Decker and Thomas. The best thing you can probably say about it is that he stays healthy at his size and can run great routes. Hardly makes him the most impactful but kudos to CHFF for trying. Anything to pump up Denver I guess.

No offense but his time in NE was referenced just as much if not more than Denver...noting the several seasons that NE topped the NFL record books for points. While I don't think Welker is the most impactful wr in football he certainly was a huge piece to those NE offenses and has been a focal point there in Denver on a team on a record setting pace.

I'm not sure why you look to discredit him at every turn....if he has done something to upset you and you don't like him or the fact he is playing with Peyton and thats the reason. I just find it curious that so many people love and support our former players yet one of your greatest former players you look to run down. Curious.

No offense but his time in NE was referenced just as much if not more than Denver...noting the several seasons that NE topped the NFL record books for points. While I don't think Welker is the most impactful wr in football he certainly was a huge piece to those NE offenses and has been a focal point there in Denver on a team on a record setting pace.

I'm not sure why you look to discredit him at every turn....if he has done something to upset you and you don't like him or the fact he is playing with Peyton and thats the reason. I just find it curious that so many people love and support our former players yet one of your greatest former players you look to run down. Curious.

I just don't see him as more than what he was - a tough guy who moved the chains. I certainly appreciated his contributions but the hoopla that was made out of the Pats not signing him was a bit over the top IMO. At the end of the day the Pats won zero championships with him and I didn't appreciate some of his antics the last couple of years, i.e foot jokes that got him benched, his back and forth with Belichick last season, etc. I thought he was very immature at times and his game was declining the last two seasons with increased drops and loss of speed.

In terms of this article, it is total baloney. He is not the most impactful receiver by a long shot. He has made his mark for sure and got to play with the two HoF QBs. No one can deny he made the most of his opportuities but I am happy the Pats moved on as this offense when everyone is out there is more dynamic down the field which will be critical come January ...

I just don't see him as more than what he was - a tough guy who moved the chains. I certainly appreciated his contributions but the hoopla that was made out of the Pats not signing him was a bit over the top IMO. At the end of the day the Pats won zero championships with him and I didn't appreciate some of his antics the last couple of years, i.e foot jokes that got him benched, his back and forth with Belichick last season, etc. I thought he was very immature at times and his game was declining the last two seasons with increased drops and loss of speed.

In terms of this article, it is total baloney. He is not the most impactful receiver by a long shot. He has made his mark for sure and got to play with the two HoF QBs. No one can deny he made the most of his opportuities but I am happy the Pats moved on as this offense when everyone is out there is more dynamic down the field which will be critical come January ...

More dynamic aka worse.

Funny how the Pats don't re-sign him and procedd to sign/draft three of the most prolific droppers currently in the NFL.

More dynamic aka worse.

Funny how the Pats don't re-sign him and procedd to sign/draft three of the most prolific droppers currently in the NFL.

Hello sunshine.

Endleman has replaced Welker's production just fine and been more dynamic in the return game. The three rooks would have been signed even had Welker stayed. The team is retooling its skill guys on the outside.

Hello sunshine.

Endleman has replaced Welker's production just fine and been more dynamic in the return game. The three rooks would have been signed even had Welker stayed. The team is retooling its skill guys on the outside.

Edleman has nowhere near Welker's productivity and  what does the return game have to do with anything? Edleman was returning punts when Welker was there anyway. 

Just admit you're team outsmarted itself in opting to sign Danny "Glass" Amendola over Welker.

In terms of this article, it is total baloney. He is not the most impactful receiver by a long shot. He has made his mark for sure and got to play with the two HoF QBs. No one can deny he made the most of his opportuities but I am happy the Pats moved on as this offense when everyone is out there is more dynamic down the field which will be critical come January ...

Perhaps he would have been better accepted as a Red Sox in Boston than a Patriot. Those of us that didn't see the daily print outside of Boston saw him as the hardest working, tough little sob, that was the glue that kept that offense moving...Brady's right hand man for lack of better word. When Brady need a 1st down....Welker....it got crunch time....Welker on the last drive....everyone I knew thought Welker was a sensational receiver...and while Moss made the big plays and Gronk got targets in the redzone...it was Welker that did all the work between the 20s. I know I wanted the Colts to go after him but he landed in Denver.

Lol what does the return game have to do with anything? Edleman was returning punts when Welker was there anyway. 

Just admit you're team outsmarted itself in opting to sign Danny "Glass" Edleman over Welker.

Welker returned punts most of last season and always returned punts that were going to fall inside the 20. Does not change the fact that Endleman has been better in the return game and has replaced Welker's production from the slot. Amendola is different from Welker in terms of skillset. have not seen him as his replacement all season given that he has been going deep as much as staying over the middle. It is obvious why the Pats signed him to better be able to get down the field instead of just clogging the middle.

Perhaps he would have been better accepted as a Red Sox in Boston than a Patriot. Those of us that didn't see the daily print outside of Boston saw him as the hardest working, tough little sob, that was the glue that kept that offense moving...Brady's right hand man for lack of better word. When Brady need a 1st down....Welker....it got crunch time....Welker on the last drive....everyone I knew thought Welker was a sensational receiver...and while Moss made the big plays and Gronk got targets in the redzone...it was Welker that did all the work between the 20s. I know I wanted the Colts to go after him but he landed in Denver.

He would have been better accepted in general if he didn't turn down two contracts and then whine on the way out that Bill was too tough on him. Say what you want but his image took a big the last couple of years. On the field, I agree with everything you said but in the end I want the guys that score the TDs. Those are the impact guys.

Welker returned punts most of last season and always returned punts that were going to fall inside the 20. Does not change the fact that Endleman has been better in the return game and has replaced Welker's production from the slot. Amendola is different from Welker in terms of skillset. have not seen him as his replacement all season given that he has been going deep as much as staying over the middle. It is obvious why the Pats signed him to better be able to get down the field instead of just clogging the middle.

He hasn't replaced his production from the slot though. He's currently averaging only 9.7 YPC compared to Welker's almost ~11.5 while he was in New England.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, Elway was smart enough to pounce on New England's mistake and sign him making Denver's offense even is more absurdly good. 

He would have been better accepted in general if he didn't turn down two contracts and then whine on the way out that Bill was too tough on him. Say what you want but his image took a big the last couple of years. On the field, I agree with everything you said but in the end I want the guys that score the TDs. Those are the impact guys.

He's scoring TDs pretty rapidly in Denver. I think the scheme there was actually holding him back. Could you imagine the numbers he'd be putting up in Denver if he wasn't only their 4th best skill player?

He hasn't replaced his production from the slot though. He's currently averaging only 9.7 YPC compared to Welker's almost ~11.5 while he was in New England.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, Elway was smart enough to pounce on New England's mistake and sign him making Denver's offense even is more absurdly good. 

He has 49 receps which leads the team and is on pace for 100. YPC is a factor of the offense missing its key players. I expect that to go up with Gronk and Amendola back as the coverage will roll to them leaving Endelman singled against a LB or safety.

Perhaps Elway should have taken that money as you say and spent it on his 25th ranked defense because they obviously didn't need Welker to be a great offense.

Edleman has nowhere near Welker's productivity and  what does the return game have to do with anything? Edleman was returning punts when Welker was there anyway. 

Just admit you're team outsmarted itself in opting to sign Danny "Glass" Amendola over Welker.

I agree they needed new blood on the outside...and those youngins will be good....but Edelman definately isn't replacing Welkers numbers....in fact he is only at 1/3 of Welkers production half way through the season. Amendola is basically replacing Edelman and if that is what you signed him for....you got it. Lets be honest...nothing we say will convince her otherwise so its pointless....we have no dog in the fight but we just can't be objective.

haha, did I strike a nerve?

How did this thread go to a Manning vs Brady thread....I swear...we are talking about Welker....who was a huge impact on the Patriots offense and has been an even bigger impact on Denvers....there can be no arguement about that....greatest impact wr of all time....very disputable. I think if we are talking the highest impact receiver in the last 10 yrs....Welker wins....all time...I don't see it.

(Impact by statistics...we all know he hasn't won a SB so that isn't the arguement so lets not make it that)

highest impact receiver in the last 10 yrs....Welker wins....

Disagree. Welker is a borderline HOF. In this past decade alone we've had Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Calvin Johnson ect....

He caught a lot of balls on very good teams but I don't think that makes him one of the biggest impact receivers ever. 

Indeed...master of making every thread somehow about Tom Brady or dissing Wes "the goon" Welker....

Never called Welker a goon. Not sure why you are in such a tizzy over this. You asked me my opinion and I gave it. If you think Welker was the best Pats receiver of all time and the most impactful in NFL history so be it. I disagree. 

Disagree. Welker is a borderline HOF. In this past decade alone we've had Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Calvin Johnson ect....

He caught a lot of balls on very good teams but I don't think that makes him one of the biggest impact receivers ever. 

I'm just trying to look at this how the writer was....and he is saying the player that has had the biggest impact as far as wr is Welker because he has been the most important, consistant, and biggest catalyst for about 6 of the top 10 scoring offenses of all time. No arguement there. I do disagree with the writer as that being the best way to define "impact" but taking it from how he is looking at things it is hard to disagree there. I would be hard pressed to put anyone as having the greatest impact outside of Jerry Rice because of all the catches...all the yds...tds...and yes...SBs. To me that out-weighs being on a high powered offense.

Never called Welker a goon. Not sure why you are in such a tizzy over this. You asked me my opinion and I gave it. If you think Welker was the best Pats receiver of all time and the most impactful in NFL history so be it. I disagree. 

It was a joke...I don't know what you call him but you put him down at every opportunity and thats fine. I don't think anyone cares about that around here....but to try to minimize his career, achievements, and go against just about every NFL pundit/expert that pretty well agrees that NE really misses him and he is arguably the best wr in the game over the past 7 or so years (same people that say Tom Brady is the best qb in football by the way) just seems to sound like you have an axe to grind....it wouldn't be noticable if it didn't pop up....all the time...but I have no issues....Welker isn't my receiver and NE isn't my team. I'm glad to see he is doing well because the little I know about him off the field has shown him as a very funny and likable person.

I'm just trying to look at this how the writer was....and he is saying the player that has had the biggest impact as far as wr is Welker because he has been the most important, consistant, and biggest catalyst for about 6 of the top 10 scoring offenses of all time. No arguement there. I do disagree with the writer as that being the best way to define "impact" but taking it from how he is looking at things it is hard to disagree there. I would be hard pressed to put anyone as having the greatest impact outside of Jerry Rice because of all the catches...all the yds...tds...and yes...SBs. To me that out-weighs being on a high powered offense.

It was a joke...I don't know what you call him but you put him down at every opportunity and thats fine. I don't think anyone cares about that around here....but to try to minimize his career, achievements, and go against just about every NFL pundit/expert that pretty well agrees that NE really misses him and he is arguably the best wr in the game over the past 7 or so years (same people that say Tom Brady is the best qb in football by the way) just seems to sound like you have an axe to grind....it wouldn't be noticable if it didn't pop up....all the time...but I have no issues....Welker isn't my receiver and NE isn't my team. I'm glad to see he is doing well because the little I know about him off the field has shown him as a very funny and likable person.

I think the article as off-base as that is not how I would measure "impact" player either. But to each his own in terms of criteria.

In terms of the Pats this season, it is easy to look at their offensive woes and chalk it up to Welker being gone but honestly it has been more about Gronk being gone along with Hernandez. They have had NO replacements for either of those players and have had two replacements for Welker in Endelman and Amendola. The two of them have done just fine. So the slot has not been an issue but the fact that team has had no viable TE and rooks on the outside. Welker would not be thriving in this offense at all. I don't think that is disputabe really. Still, I like the move to go away from the middle and focus more on the outside. Something needed to change as the offense became too predictable the last couple of years. The Pats have managed to somehow get to 7-2 which is one game better then they were last year at this time.

in terms of Welker, I am not surprised he is doing well in Denver. It is shame that he turned down two contracts to stay in NE but he had issues with Bill. At this point he is the enemy and plays for a team that can upset the Pats in the playoffs so I am hoping Denver loses every game. You find him humorous. I think he is immature. Just a difference of opinion. The Pats are my team but Welker is not my guy. I would take Troy Brown over him every day of the week and 10 times on Sunday.

I would strongly disagree and say it should be Don Hutson.  In a time where no one in the league was throwing, Hutson was averaging nearly a TD per game (0.853 TDs/game), nearly 70 yards per game (68.89), and a career average of 16.4 yards per reception.  His stats from 1941 to 1944: 5.6 receptions per game, 85.5 yards per game, 1.12 TDs per game.  He had a ridiculous 1942 season where he posted 74 receptions for 1211 yards, and 17 TDs.  That comes to a per game average of 6.7 rec/game, 110.1 yards/game, 1.55 TD/game.  We get excited today when a player has a 10+ TD season or 1000+ yards in a pass-first league.  He played in the 1930s and 40s when no one ran the ball.  Not only that, but he also was the first of the downfield receivers and really helped to open up the forward passing game.  Welker has had the privilege of playing with Randy Moss and Tom Brady for a few years and now with Peyton Manning.

That's when the league was racist and wouldn't let anyone but whites play. 

Easy to do when all the defenders run a 6.5 / 40

I think the article as off-base as that is not how I would measure "impact" player either. But to each his own in terms of criteria.

In terms of the Pats this season, it is easy to look at their offensive woes and chalk it up to Welker being gone but honestly it has been more about Gronk being gone along with Hernandez. They have had NO replacements for either of those players and have had two replacements for Welker in Endelman and Amendola. The two of them have done just fine. So the slot has not been an issue but the fact that team has had no viable TE and rooks on the outside. Welker would not be thriving in this offense at all. I don't think that is disputabe really. Still, I like the move to go away from the middle and focus more on the outside. Something needed to change as the offense became too predictable the last couple of years. The Pats have managed to somehow get to 7-2 which is one game better then they were last year at this time.

in terms of Welker, I am not surprised he is doing well in Denver. It is shame that he turned down two contracts to stay in NE but he had issues with Bill. At this point he is the enemy and plays for a team that can upset the Pats in the playoffs so I am hoping Denver loses every game. You find him humorous. I think he is immature. Just a difference of opinion. The Pats are my team but Welker is not my guy. I would take Troy Brown over him every day of the week and 10 times on Sunday.

No problem...look I know you yearn for the SB days....everything looks rosie remembering good ol Troy Brown...offense/defense...and thats fine but that is like us saying we would take Addai over James or Faulk just because he helped us win a SB. Brown was a great team player but on the field...he would be outplayed every way possible by Welker. Of course just my opinion.

I think the premise for this article was definately faulty....can't argue there...but I guess it just gets old the bitter, jilted lover routine.

Wow...a racist comment about how racist the NFL was....interesting.

The truth is often "racist". 

I was being somewhat facetious (imagine that?). 

It does trouble me to think how far and fast the game would've advanced if people weren't so damned racist back then.