Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

wishing him well, Kubiak had a TIA stroke, minor stroke

bayone

The official diagnosis is that Kubiak suffered a TIA, or transient ischemic attack, which occurs when a blood clot blocks an artery for a short time and affects blood flow in the brain.

A TIA involves temporary but reversible loss of function, and doctors tell Rapoport there are no residual effects. A TIA is considered to be a warning that blood flow is not what it should be and can be seen as a precursor for a larger stroke.

"It is treatable, which seems to be the reason for the optimism when you talk to Texans people," Rapoport said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000276824/article/gary-kubiak-suffered-ministroke-during-texans-game

Gary Kubiak was given Tissue plasminogen activator (tPA), a protein that breaks down blood Colts in people who suffer strokes, per sources.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-11-04/gary-kubiak-update-texans-coach-administered-stroke-related-treatment?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D401012

TIAs are caused by blood Colts just as stokes are; the difference is that in these cases, the Colts clear more quickly. According to the American Stroke Association, most TIAs last about one minute, and generally don’t last longer than five minutes. TIAs don’t generally cause permanent brain damage or loss of motor function, but they are serious warning signs and lead to a higher probability of strokes in the future. About a third of those who have TIAs suffer strokes within a year.

“TIA is a warning stroke and gives a patient time to act and keep a permanent stroke from occurring,” Dr. Emil Matarese of St. Mary’s Medical Center in Langhorne, Pa. told the ASA’s website. “By recognizing TIA symptoms and getting to the hospital, the patient can get help in identifying why the TIA occurred and get treatment — either through medication or surgery — that can prevent a stroke from occurring.”

Fortunately, Kubiak received immediate attention from the stadium’s medical staff and was transported to the hospital quickly. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on Monday morning that Kubiak had been given Tissue Plasminogen Activator, which breaks down blood Colts in people who suffer strokes.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/11/04/gary-kubiak-texans-mini-stroke/

my dad had a tia and his symptoms were not that dramatic.  It's possible to miss it

So, good that his were noticeable and he was in a place where he got immediate help

1. Hope your father is OK

2. If u had to have it grabbing ones g head and going to ground in middle of filled stadium with own ambulance on standby is best of all possible scenarios

In Past we only had to worry about players and their issues, but Coaching stress is a big deal , something we as fans take for granted

1. Hope your father is OK

2. If u had to have it grabbing ones g head and going to ground in middle of filled stadium with own ambulance on standby is best of all possible scenarios

In Past we only had to worry about players and their issues, but Coaching stress is a big deal , something we as fans take for granted

Well, for my dad......when the stroke was finally noticeable to us..........doctors said he had probably had several very small strokes before that were not noticeable

Not sure what role these play in his memory impairment .  He has no blood pressure or cholesterol problem.  There is a lot that doctors don't know

Well, for my dad......when the stroke was finally noticeable to us..........doctors said he had probably had several very small strokes before that were not noticeable

Not sure what role these play in his memory impairment .  He has no blood pressure or cholesterol problem.  There is a lot that doctors don't know

((( alot depends on what area of brain had those mini strokes   regarding any memory  or function loss if left untreatable,, ))).

My father had many a mini stroke I am sure went undiagnosed for years and led to memory problems,,  then again my parents never wanted me to be burdened by their issues so maybe mom never told me once I moved to Detroit, Dad did have heart problems and high cholesterol

When i went back to new york 1 visit his  replacement valve apparently blew out, dont know if was Mitral or aortic, was porcine type not modern synthetic ( Synthetics last longer but think u need to be on blood thinners longer but not sure )

worked on him with EMT team, got to hospital pain free & talkative , I called EMT  as new something off, The valve blew out first in the ER. Mom was besides herself as 2 weeks earlier I found out his cardiologist   advised a replacement but warned his heart may not take it , So she declined, then was riddled with guilt

Dad had a family  Hx of hrt problems, his kid brother died of massive heart attack day my father had the valve replacement

What a time for it to happen, not that there is ever a good time, but yikes. I hope he has a full recovery. 

Actually it might have been the best time...having all that personel there to assist him...imagine him driving on the interstate...he is very fortunate indeed.

Actually it might have been the best time...having all that personel there to assist him...imagine him driving on the interstate...he is very fortunate indeed.

in comment 5 i noted

. If u had to have it grabbing ones   head and going to ground in middle of filled stadium with own ambulance on standby is best of all possible scenarios

Driving on interstate would be disatrous,

u should see me if get a vertigo attack,when driving . , luckily only drive to doctors mainly and always with cars far in front and behind so i can pull over 

bye

To add to what Barry said...it is for now not serioous, but its a warning sign.. I copied this of the Mayo clinic site..

Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff

A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is like a stroke, producing similar symptoms, but usually lasting only a few minutes and causing no permanent damage. Often called a mini stroke, a transient ischemic attack may be a warning. About 1 in 3 people who have a transient ischemic attack eventually has a stroke, with about half occurring within a year after the transient ischemic attack.

A transient ischemic attack can serve as both a warning and an opportunity — a warning of an impending stroke and an opportunity to take steps to prevent it.

I hope this is the only one he ever has, and that he takes all the necessary precautions to avoid another, potentially more dangerous stroke.

My thoughts and prayers again go out to Coach Kubiak, and his friends and family and wish him a speedy and complete recovery.