Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian On Painter

LUVTHESHOE

maybe i was still half asleep this morning but i could have sworn that i heard bp on

the news today say that he is not at all surprised at how well curtis painter has played

to this point, and that is why they drafted him because they knew when given the

opportunity he would play well. now that may not be word for word but darn close." HUH" then

in the **** did we spend 4 million on collins. things that make go hmm.

He will say some crap like "look, I said, given the time Curtis can be good. We brought in Kerry because we didnt think Curtis, at that point, has had enough of that time and practice to really live up to his potential. With Kerry getting injured, he (Curtis) was forced into service a little sooner than we had liked, but met those challenges admirably"

blah blah wiggle wiggle.

Wow, this board is heading for a complete mental melt down.

Let's see, Polian drafts him then claims he thought he could be successfull all along. Well I hope so, that is why he drafted Painter in the first place.

Then a collection of internet geniuses come along and criticize Polian.

"Then why did we sign Collins?" boy, can't get one past you! Maybe because, up to that point, Painter had not shown the team what they thought they would see in him. So, sinse Polian actually has to make moves instead of talking about them, he signs a guy who is NFL ready today to go along with someone who will hopefully develope.

Yes, real dumb move.

Edited by wordofmouth

Wow, this board is heading for a complete mental melt down.

Let's see, Polian drafts him then claims he thought he could be successfull all along. Well I hope so, that is why he drafted Painter in the first place.

Then a colection of internet geniuses come along and criticize Polian.

"Then why did we sign Collins?" boy, can't get one past you! Maybe because, up to that point, Painter had not shown the team what they thought they would see in him. So, sinse Polian actually has to make moves instead of talk about them, he signs a guy who is NFL ready today to go along with someone who will hopefully develope.

Yes, real dumb move.

MOUTH..

I dont think it was a mistake to sign Collins. I would have...But I didnt think Painter could play well

The signing of Collins is proof that Polian did not know Painter could play all along.

He didnt say the THOUGHT Painter could play..he said he KNEW it..

If that's the case..why sign Kerry C.?

MOUTH..

I dont think it was a mistake to sign Collins. I would have...But I didnt think Painter could play well

The signing of Collins is proof that Polian did not know Painter could play all along.

He didnt say the THOUGHT Painter could play..he said he KNEW it..

If that's the case..why sign Kerry C.?

Correct.

He said he knew he COULD not he knew he WOULD. There's a big difference. On top of that, he didn't say he knew he

would play well this soon. Based on Painters preseason performance, bringing Collins in was a no brainer no matter how much faith you had in Painter's potential.

He will say some crap like "look, I said, given the time Curtis can be good. We brought in Kerry because we didnt think Curtis, at that point, has had enough of that time and practice to really live up to his potential. With Kerry getting injured, he (Curtis) was forced into service a little sooner than we had liked, but met those challenges admirably"

blah blah wiggle wiggle.

You are saying this in the guise of criticism, but actually that is very likely exactly what happened. And it's exactly what he should say. It's the politically correct response, that doesn't denigrate any of the professionals on his payroll, and logically gets us from point a to point b. That's what GMs do.

Is there ANYTHING that Polian could say which wouldn't result in ranting and raving from his legion of detractors at this point?

I liked the idea of Collins coming in, but I agreed with Wayne from the get-go. I think Wayne was one of a only a handful of vets that could have stepped up and said what he said, or got away with saying it. I think Wayne's statements were at the hearts of the majority of the team. You dont preach a philosphy for years then when the funk hits the fan you go with a different philosphy. The Colts did not look, act or perform like the colts with Collins. Collins should have been brought in as the backup.

You are saying this in the guise of criticism, but actually that is very likely exactly what happened. And it's exactly what he should say. It's the politically correct response, that doesn't denigrate any of the professionals on his payroll, and logically gets us from point a to point b. That's what GMs do.

Is there ANYTHING that Polian could say which wouldn't result in ranting and raving from his legion of detractors at this point?

Well put MAC, what's with all these negative fans? Polian has proven that he is a great GM. Records don't lie.

I think they brought Kerry in as a back-up to Painter if Manning doesn't come back. But started him because he was starter ready from last year. I'm not sure he's injured but instead it's because Payton's not coming back, so Painter now gives us a better chance for the future. Com'on look at the 2 Purdue QB's before Painter, they are in the NFL. Now don't start bad mouthing Orton because Denver sucks.

Polian stated they brougth Collins in to start from day one, which prompted Wayne's comments and further questioned Caldwells impotence

Of course they brought Collins in to start, and it doesn't reflect on Caldwell one way or the other. Don't forget that Caldwell was Collin's QB coach at Penn State - I doubt very much that he was against the idea.

Painter was still making too many mental mistakes in the early part of preseason. They had to make a decision, and brought Collins in days before the Green Bay game. Personally my guess is that if they had waited until after the GB game to make a decision, Collins wouldn't be here at all.

The bengals have the top rank defense... soooo thats probably one of the better defense he will face this season.

If Painter looks good the next game then I will stop complaining about him. I don't dislike him or anything I just can't believe people are already touting him as a good QB. Still a long way to go to get there but I'm rooting for him because he is putting in the effort.

The bengals have the top rank defense... soooo thats probably one of the better defense he will face this season.

True. Don't forget that the Steelers have the #2 ranked defense - he already faced a serious pass rush - with no preparation - and did very well.

I'm not worried about him "looking bad", but I'm worried about our oline rendering the entire offense ineffective. They contained Tamba Hall last week with a guy who just walked in off the street, but it's hard to have much confidence in them at this point. If the put Diem back at tackle, it will be just like last year - with guys beating him to the outside on every other play.

If Painter looks good the next game then I will stop complaining about him. I don't dislike him or anything I just can't believe people are already touting him as a good QB. Still a long way to go to get there but I'm rooting for him because he is putting in the effort.

Well the guy is a good QB, its probably just too hard to believe lol... he makes the right audibles and the right reads and he has an arm and is accurate, it will definitely be a good game.

True. Don't forget that the Steelers have the #2 ranked defense - he already faced a serious pass rush - with no preparation - and did very well.

I'm not worried about him "looking bad", but I'm worried about our oline rendering the entire offense ineffective. They contained Tamba Hall last week with a guy who just walked in off the street, but it's hard to have much confidence in them at this point. If the put Diem back at tackle, it will be just like last year - with guys beating him to the outside on every other play.

Hopefully they keep diem at guard, he's much better there although pollack has been doing a pretty good job.

Some good Purdue records.

Career: Ranks second on Purdue career completion percentage list at .599 (760-1,269), tied for second with 10 300-yard passing games, fourth with 1,269 passing attempts, fourth with 760 completions, fourth with 8,763 passing yards, fourth with 54 passing touchdowns, fourth with 9,101 yards of total offense, sixth with a 126.4 passing efficiency rating and sixth with 35 interceptions ... has three 400-yard passing games, including one 500-yard performance.

STATISTIC CAREER SEASON GAME PASSING Drew Brees

11,792 (1997-2000) Curtis Painter

3,985 (2006) Curtis Painter

546 (Cent. Michigan 2007)